Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

commercials!

i tried to see if this topic was covered already & could not find a thread, so here goes...i was watching "the bishop's wife" which i recorded last week & after it ended & the next movie started, there was something that was trying to look like a little filler about spy movies but i'm telling you, it was a commercial! it started out like a subdued-style trailer for "tinker tailor soldier spy" but it wasn't a modern-day loud trailer, it was very sly & it interspersed clips/comparisons to older such movies like "3 days of the condor" & others that i can't remember. then i noticed there was a logo in the lower left corner saying "in theatres now". anyone else see this? thoughts please! i am angry!

i just looked at it again to get the names of the other movies they referenced: "british agent" & "north by northwest"--the voiceover suggesting that the new movie had taken cues from the older ones--it was very underhanded! the piece was in fact called "in theatres now" but you know what? i don't watch tcm to find out what's in theatres now...i am not interested in what's in theatres now!

Edited by: cee on Jan 11, 2012 1:46 PM

I noticed that too, cee. I definitely thought it was a precedent for TCM. It felt like they had crossed a line. It was a commercial for a movie masquerading as a mini-documentary on spy thrillers. I hope it's not portentous of things to come, ending two years from now when TCM runs back-to-back-to-back airings of MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME & four-hour blocks of MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE (between ten straight minutes of commercials, that is).

Cee,

This type of advertising isn't new to TCM. They did a similar tie-in a few years ago with *The Good German* and another tie-in with a movie last year (I can't remember the name).

It happens infrequently and shouldn't be taken as a sign of things to come or that TCM is changing. Though, it can be a bit jarring to see the first time.

The two previous film tie-ins I mentioned, like this latest one, were done around similar classic genre films and not stand alone typical television promos that you see on other channels.

> Hi, this is the TCM classic movie news for January.

Remember to include the "Hi" in that intro. :-)

More seriously, those "TCM classic movie news" pieces are advertising/advertainment as well. I'm sure when TCM includes a report on a movie from Universal or Paramount that it's in exchange for the rights to show something from one of their libraries.

Ditto things like the mentions of the Audie Murphy westerns collection, or the Jean Arthur comedy collection.

I don't know, Fedya & Iz. I'm kinda with Cee on this one. I've been watching TCM for over a decade &, like I said, it felt like they'd crossed a line. At least when they did the promo for the Good German (which I remember seeing), it ostensibly had some conncection to classic movies because it was a period piece. Maybe in this instance, because it was trying so hard to disguise the fact that it was a commercial, I'm not sure, but it was a little unnerving.

But I hope you're right & that it's nothing to become unduly alarmed over.

it even had the "R" rating logo, which made it look even more like a real commercial! the intercutting of older films made it seem patronizing, like, they think they are putting one over on us. if i knew how to do it, i'd post a picture of curly stamping his feet in frustration!

Cee- you are absolutely right. TCM promised with their mission statement to be commercial-free. Even the incessant DVD commercials are getting to be destructive. Those that shrug or bend over at this development are brainwashed and have learned to identify with their corporate opressors. The network makes Plenty of money without showing any ads at all... and Plenty is Enough. Remember, we PAY to get this channel...

TCM is not supposed to show commercials... watch as Greed destroys another great thing.

The two previous film tie-ins I mentioned, like this latest one, were done around similar classic genre films and not stand alone typical television promos that you see on other channels.

I can recall one for CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR back in January 2008, also built around clips from similarly themed classic films.

Cee- you are absolutely right. TCM promised with their mission statement to be commercial-free.

No, they promised that the movies would be uncut and commercial-free. If promotions such as this keep them from inserting commercials within the movie, they can run a half-hour of them between films as far as I'm concerned.

>How do YOU know how much money TCM makes? Have you audited their financials?

Variety, Mar. 9, 2007:

"Its competitor AMC started selling advertising time in 2003 and now pockets more than $150 million a year from media buyers. But TCM has resolutely steered clear of Madison Avenue, harvesting its revenues from cable-operator license fees, which are expected to climb above $200 million this year."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960824?refCatId=1236

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> > I repeat---commercials between films are no big deal if that's what it takes to keep TCM viable.I agree fully. What happens between the movies is free-game.

Are you kidding? You're really okay with seeing commercials for McDonald's & Toyota & Charmin & Colgate? Yeah, it would be better than having movies interrupted by commercials (like every other non-premium channel) but it would still be a BIIIIG step downwards for TCM to allow this--even between movies. I'm okay with the occasional commercial for a movie soon to be in a theatre near you, my concern is that it's not a crack in the armor & that soon we WILL see commercials just like every other channel. When other channels have been destroyed (IFC, AMC, etc.), that's how they did it: gradually.

> my concern is that it's not a crack in the armor & that soon we WILL see commercials just like every other channel

Monty,

As noted below by various posters, this type of advertising is not new to TCM. They have done it before going back more than a few years. The "Movie News" interstitial gets updated every month and is filled with plugs for upcoming books, cds, movies, dvds and cultural events. It helps the channel bring in revenue and that, in turn, helps keep mainstream commercials off of TCM.

And "Movie News" has been running every month on TCM for years and there's still no sign of McDonalds or any other mainstram commercials that appear on other networks.

So, it's a bit of a leap to think that the promo for *Tinker, Tailor* is going to be the catalyst for mainstream advertising to begin airing on TCM.

> {quote:title=MontyC wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > > {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> > > I repeat---commercials between films are no big deal if that's what it takes to keep TCM viable.

> > I agree fully. What happens between the movies is free-game.

> Are you kidding? You're really okay with seeing commercials for McDonald's & Toyota & Charmin & Colgate?

I would not be seeing them.

When a movie ends I begin immediately to look for what I wish to watch next. That means using the on-screen program guide which smushes the broadcast into one corner where it is virtually unwatchable or looking at printed schedules so I am not looking at the television at all.

If the commercials were at the start of the movies I would also not see them just as I do not watch them on "regular" television at those times because I use a DVR.

I will not condemn anything which allows me to watch classic movies which have not been cut by the broadcaster and which is not interrupted by commercials.

Suit yourself, Sans. Maybe I'm spoiled but it would bother me to have commercials on TCM (even if only between the movies) after so many years of it being commercial-free. But I see where you're coming from. It definitely would be a better alternative than having the movies interrupted with commercials.

The less advertising, the better, as it would allow for more films and other ancillary material (shorts, etc.). But the line that will make me give up expanded cable and not have to pay for all those dozens of channels I do not watch, solely for TCM, is cut and interrupted films.

I see a major difference between if I would like to see commercials between shows and if I would STOP the service and find an alterative (e.g. purchase DMDs, lobby for a pay-per-view classic movie station).

Of course no one would like to see commercials. But if TCM did so, I still feel the amount I pay for my cable service (which I use mostly just to watch my Lakers, TCM and the Food Network), is still a bargain giving the alterative.

The Lakers have discussed starting a pay-per-view channel (like the Yankees have I believe). I would rather get the games for 'free' (as part of my monthly bill) with the commercials, instead of paying a separate fee.

Years ago I proposed a new business model. One would be charged a very high monthly fee for stations. The system would track how often commercials were viewed per month. The more they were watched the more of a discount one would get towards that fee. Yea, there are logical problems with this but the paradigm makes sense.