Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

commercials!

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> The less advertising, the better, as it would allow for more films and other ancillary material (shorts, etc.).

It is sad to say the reverse would probably be true.

With no other income than subscriber fees TCM would have less money to spend for renting short movies.

> {quote:title=smileys wrote:}{quote}Anybody watch PBS lately? They've been running commercials between shows for years. As long as there are no interruptions, it's not the end of the world, people.

No, more like the beginning of the end. Say, that sounds like it would be a great title for a movie. Maybe I better have it copyrighted?

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I repeat---commercials between films are no big deal if that's what it takes to keep TCM viable.

I agree!

Every time this topic comes up I laugh. I can't believe how many people really think TCM isn't living up to being "commercial free" because they run ads for new DVD and book releases BETWEEN films.

I am glued to TCM and I pay almost $200 a month for cable. Add in the sports stuff and I throw another $300+ to my cable provider for the fall/winter. How many TCM faithfuls would pay the HBO or Showtime prices to get a station that doesn't hawk DVDs at all?

Or would you rather TCM play movies back to back to back and they all be the same MGM and RKO pictures? I just don't understand what is so wrong about a movie ending at 10:49 and having 11 minutes of ads, trailers, retrospectives etc until the next movie starts at 11? If you don't like ads can't you use that time to go to the powder room? refill your drink? It can't be that big of a deal. I think TCM has added so much to their brand with these box sets of DVDs, film festivals, and the cruise, I DON'T think they are turning into AMC, I think they are still trucking along. When you have channels like Antenna, THIS and Retro TV popping up on local FREE TV, why would TCM be on cable and become that? Why don't people understand that all services come with a cost whether TCM chooses to disclose their costs or not?

These threads are silly to me because every channel runs commercials. I can be right in the middle of a movie or show that is getting good and BAM! A home delivery of catheters commercial comes on. TCM is a god-send. If I don't have to see an ad about testing strips for diabetes or hair loss before Marlowe arrives at the holiday party to confront Fromsett and Kingsby, I am a happy customer!

LOL! Short-sightedness makes me giggle! You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.

TCM should start showing commercials immediately. Sooner, if possible. I'd also like to see news updates. And why not a TV show or two? How about a "Hogan's Heroes" marathon? And since TV shows have breaks for commercials why not show a T-Mobile ad or two during the gaps? And since slow-paced movies have natural breaks between scenes, why not insert some commercials there? Where does it stop? If the die-hard fans of TCM aren't going to defend their network, clearly no one will.

JJG- "Something for nothing"? Explain to me how I can get TCM in my home with no monetary output and I'll begin to take you seriously. Or does your cable company provide free service?

It's staggering when people are unable to look beyon-

"This post is brought to you by Thermacare Heat Wraps: 'Thermacare delivers heat that penetrates deep, warming the muscle right where it hurts- to relax, soothe and unlock tight muscles for lasting pain relief''"

ThermaCareHeatWrapBox-1.jpg

I appriciate what TCM does and can understand people adversion to comerecial TV and comercials. However, there is a part of me that misses they way movies were shown when I was a kid. That means on some UHF station ads and all, during some off prime time hour. Maybe it was the thrill of staying up late or the comfort of some annoying movie host, (in Detroit it was mostly Bill Kennedy, but there were others.) It's probally me just getting old.

So Finance, what you're saying is that if you don't pay your condo fee you don't get cable- which is the only way to watch TCM.

So you, like everybody else on this planet, PAY FOR TCM.

Thank you for proving my point.

While the rest of you joyfully agree to sacrifice TCM's ideals in order to solve their non-existent financial crisis I bid you farewell. Keep setting your sights high and reaching for that rainbow!

All the best,

Bryan

Note that when I said 'something for nothing' I was referring mainly to the Internet (e.g. content on YouTube), or how so many people steal movies and music by making copies of copywritten material and not the fee for TCM.

Indirectly everyone pays something for TCM and every network a cable provider provides.

It appears most people 'get it' as it relates to TCM (I know you do). Most:

1) Want TCM to remain as commercial free as possible, especially with NO commercials during the showing of a movie.

2) "as possible' means where TCM takes in enough revenue to at least break even (assuming the parent company is willing to subsidize them), or makes a 'reasonable' profit

3) That some portion of this profit is used to retain classic movies TCM doesn't already have the rights too. Profits could also be used to help save classic movies that will be lost unless they are restored

> {quote:title=Bolesroor wrote:}{quote}So Finance, what you're saying is that if you don't pay your condo fee you don't get cable- which is the only way to watch TCM.

>

> So you, like everybody else on this planet, PAY FOR TCM.

>

> Thank you for proving my point.

>

> While the rest of you joyfully agree to sacrifice TCM's ideals in order to solve their non-existent financial crisis I bid you farewell. Keep setting your sights high and reaching for that rainbow!

>

> All the best,

> Bryan

Hey, Bolesroor (or Bryan)? No need to skedaddle. I for one enjoyed your posts & thought you had some very good insights. Please, suh, cun I 'ave some more? In all seriousness, the ones who took issue with you are the ones who disagreed with you (which only proves you hit a nerve).

Re the advertising vs commercials debate:

TCM doesn't have mainstream commercials between movies and I don't think many here would be happy with seeing them on the channel.

I don't have a problem with their level of advertising of classic DVDs, books, cds, cultural events, even the occasional modern movie tie-in as it all revolves around classic films.

Do I want to see mainstream commercials on TCM, even between films? No. That would be massive change for the channel and were that ever to happen would probably signal other significant changes as well.

But, it's all blue sky debating because after almost twenty years on the air, TCM is still the home for showcasing movies from all decades and doing so in an uncut and commercial free enviroment. And there aren't too many channels that still adhere to their original programming concept these days. (Think of A&E, Bravo, History, etc).

Yes. I could accept commercials between movies on TCM, but if they start doing them in the film itself it's over...........I could also accept TCM as a pay cable station, depending on how much they charged. But if they go the AMC route, it's over.........

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}If I don't pay my condo fee, I'll be out on the street, and it's tough to watch TCM if you're living on a park bench

Not necessarily, finance. Ben M. is here to tell you about a brand new TCM app on your IPhone.

I know where you are coming from and while I feel the same way I'm not so sure I would take the 'it's over' stance.

Why? Well because I would have to compare the alterative. Say TCM showed standard product commercials during shows, but a typical 90 minute or so movie was only interrupted, say 4 times, and the timing of the breaks was done based on the natural breaks in the movie (unlike AMC where they are based on a fixed time schedule and thus interpret key scenes and thus the flow of the action).

Yea, I would still dislike this but again, I would have to weigh the cost of the alterative. One idea I had would be to start a classic moving DVD sharing club in my area. I'm not a collector of DVDs (I did this with Beta tape and have over 200 classic movies on Beta,, and a new machine I got from my relatives in Japan, but I don't watch them much since I have TCM).

So a classic movie club, even if it only had 20 members, using a website like Facebook, would help keep cost down.

Anyhow, as someone already pointed out this is just all blue sky talk. I'm keeping the faith that TCM will remain fairly unchanged in the future.

I would probably watch if it was a movie I really wanted to see, but the bloom would definitely be off. I doubt I'd watch as much as now. It would depend a lot on what type of commercials and how they were placed. I'd much rather pay an extra fee to keep them off.............

While the rest of you joyfully agree to sacrifice TCM's ideals in order to solve their non-existent financial crisis I bid you farewell.

Let me see if I get this straight - because people don't agree with you, you're leaving the boards? If that's the case, what do you plan to do if you disagree with a neighbor - move out of the neighborhood?

I'm not being sarcastic here, but if I want to post without seeing any disagreements, then I'd launch a blog and not allow counter-opinions. This world would be a very dull place if everyone agreed with me.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> I do not believe that is true.

>

> ;)

Oh sure, when I ask "Who wants a drink?" they all agree. But when I ask "Who's going to chip in with me?" thats when I get arguments.