Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

commercials!

Well you and I would be willing to pay that extra fee BUT only if it was 'reasonable', right. Isn't that the rub here? There are many treads floating around here all related to this topic.

For example, people want cable companies to move to a per station type of pricing model instead of a bundled tier type of model we have today. They push for this without knowing what the cost would be. Say one pays $60 for cable and gets those 80+ stations. Now they only want TCM and find out that TCM alone would be $40. (Hey, I'm making up the prices but I assume there would be some base minimum charge even if one just got one station). Will people be happy then? I wonder.

There are two points I wish all to consider and then I will shut up on this matter:

1) There is no history of a "slippery slope" in regards to adding commercials. Each and every channel that once offered programs with no commercial breaks and now does insert commercial breaks kept their format until a definite date and then they changed to a new format. There has never been and there are reasons there never will be a slow introduction of commercial breaks within programs. Such an extreme change of format for TCM would be a major decision which I doubt would be done unless the channel began to hemorrhage money.

2) The only reasonable statistics I can find state that TCM earns $200,000,000 a year in carriage fees and that there are 85,000,000 subscribers. That calculates to $2.3529 per person per year. That calculates to a cost of $0.000403 per ninety minute movie. I hope that any and all will excuse my laughter when I read posts that claim people are paying much for the channel. With that cost/benefit ratio it is as if we are winning a lottery every day.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> For example, people want cable companies to move to a per station type of pricing model instead of a bundled tier type of model we have today. They push for this without knowing what the cost would be. Say one pays $60 for cable and gets those 80+ stations. Now they only want TCM and find out that TCM alone would be $40.

I pay for those 80+ stations & only watch TCM anyway so what's the dif?

If you really only watch TCM than you would save $20 in my 'what if', but as someone else pointed out while most people claim to only watch TCM, that really isn't the case. i.e. there is a big difference with watching a station most of the time and having that be the ONLY station one has.

For example, people might have grandkids. While they might visit only once a month or so, they might wish to watch something else etc... Of course one can get them DVDs or tell them to use the Internet.

By hey, maybe having only TCM is a great idea. When the grandkids come by and want to watch TV they will be forced to watch TCM! This is help make them more cultured. :)

TCM comes as part of my cable package, along with some 300 or so otherwise useless channels. But I do tune into other channels. I'm not that big a snob. Plus there can be some mighty interesting programming on PBS from time to time. I suppose I could trim downmy package a bit, but considering the crap I've wasted MUCH more money on in the past, I'm not likely to complain. Having said that, I'll admit that whenever I do switch on the boob tube, I check to see what's on TCM before going anywhere else.

Sepiatone

Do you know how Fox is airing these 'limited' commercials?

In another post at this thread, I indicated that it wouldn't be 'that bad' if a movie channel aired commercials, even during a movie IF they did so with respect to the movie. e.g. only 3 or 4 breaks during a 90 minute or so movie, with the breaks tied to major scene changes in the film.

Hey, I love TCM and no commercial breaks while a film is running but sometimes I wish they had a bathroom break (Ok, sometimes it is so I can make popcorn). Again, I would rather have NO commercials but if a movie channel decides to have some they must do so with respect to the movie. AMC will show a 'showdown at noon' gunfight where the guns are fired, then break for a commercial, and when they return to the action we then see which guy falls to the ground!

Well, I DO have to say THIS; many commercials I've seen over the years have wound up being FAR more entertaining than the programs they're interrupting! Plus much of the technology behind many of the special effects we see in movies got their first view in commercials.

Sepiatone

My fear is if TCM does start running commercials (the crass variety, as they are already running movie related stuff in breaks) it will go the way of AMC. I dont want to see 5 mins of commercials interrupting movies.........On AMC first they started running them between films, then a few times during movies, eventually every 10 mins or so (never mind what scene they are interrupting.....) I couldnt tolerate that on TCM........

It will not be a happy day when commercials finally come to TCM, but I can't help but feel that it is inevitable. My hope is that they will be limited to the time between films. I don't believe that deciding just where a commercial will do the least harm if inserted within a movie is a viable policy. In essence, that consists of re-editing the movie. The continuity, timing and relationship between scenes are determined by the director and editor; and to have them affected by a third party (even one trying to do their best) cannot but hurt the film. We have been so conditioned to watching movies broken up by commercials that we usually just accept it. But this is why we film lovers gravitate to TCM; to more fully appreciate the art which is presented to us. It would be a shame to lose what makes TCM special.