Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old Films Discovered in Back of Abandoned Store?

KTJ

I could have sworn that I saw several news stories about this sometime in the last seven or eight years. An abandoned camera store in a large eastern city (not NYC, I think) was bought and going to be renovated. In the back, they found a lot of old wooden barrels and inside were a lot of films. I think that they were not dramas but more like actualities or newsreel type footage. Apparently they'd been made by these two brothers who were really into experimenting with film in the earliest days. This was definitely in the U.S., this was not the New Zealand Vault story.

Edited by: KTJ on Jan 13, 2012 12:58 PM ~ It was a camera store.

I don't know myself, but there's an online forum [nitrateville.com] that attracts serious film collectors, archivists and people involved in film preservation and restoration. They're a helpful bunch over there and I'll bet somebody will have answer for you. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I signed up for that forum and immediately received an answer to my question. The films are the Mitchell and Kenyon collection of everyday life in Edwardian England. They were very carefully restored by the BFI and are now available on DVD. There is a long article about this on Wikipedia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I think that I also may have been thinking of this:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1487003/Lost-Victorian-films-saved-from-destruction.html

which is about the Huntley Collection.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings