Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 Abbott and Costello films Sun. night 1-15-12

FredCDobbs

I have great memories from my childhood (early 60's) of Halloween in my town, a parade during the afternoon, and in the early evening young kids assembled in the basement of the public school for a little party, some cartoons and "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" on the "big" screen.

Of course, they are all on DVD. What is significant here is that while the Mummy entry is in the Time Warner library, the other two are from Universal, so this is a good thing to find them on TCM. I think THIS-television network recently aired some Abbott & Costello, too.

I think Abbott & Costello are great. I have every one of their movies and all their television show episodes on disk and everytime there is an Abbott & Costello movie on, I watch it, and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time I seen it. If TCM had shown every movie Bud & Lou made, I'd have watched every single one. I wish TCM would do this (and also feature other comedy classic teams/themes) more often. I wish there were more movie channels dedicated to one sort of theme. Like one channel showing only comedies, another showing only mysteries, another only horror, etc. Maybe if TCM would do something like ENCORE and have six or seven channels each specializing on one genre they'd be able to show many more of their movies in their library and if someone didn't want to watch 'North By Northwest' or 'Some Like It Hot' or 'From Here To Eternity' they could watch a different channel and still be with TCM.

I watch all three of the movies with the wife. Abbott and Costello is one of the classic comedy teams she likes. She is from Italy and the Marx Bros comedies (especially the Groucho one-liners), are just hard to understand (slang is a very important part of a lot of comedy and doesn't translate well).

I wasn't aware she liked these guys so much. They are a balanced team in her view. A balanced between physical comedy and jokes. She really like the Dracula, Wolfman, Monster one since the original films are very popular in Italy and she liked how the comedy played off of the horror vibe.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Of course, they are all on DVD. What is significant here is that while the Mummy entry is in the Time Warner library, the other two are from Universal, so this is a good thing to find them on TCM.

All three pictures came from Universal. Warners does not own A&C MEET THE MUMMY.

HOWEVER - back in the early 60's, while Screen Gems had the pre-1949 Universal pictures, the post-49ers were distributed (to television only) by Warners-Seven Arts. But MCA retrieved and distributed the films beginning in 1971.

Don't know why MUMMY had a TCM prelude, but I've seen a few other non-Warner-owned films with it.

Even though I have DVD's and film prints of all three pictures, it was fun watching them "live" on TCM.

And, for those who like to go deep in the weeds - the A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN master was the recently unearthed Realart camera negative with title sections (picture only) restored from the previous U-I transfers.

Maybe if TCM would do something like ENCORE and have six or seven channels each specializing on one genre they'd be able to show many more of their movies in their library

What an *excellent* idea! Then there could be a NBNW channel and a 1960s channel and a channel devoted to the TCM model of old, black and white movies from the 1930s and 1940s. Wouldn't that be glorious?

I'm sure it's all about the money and they won't do any of the above.

Remember when the cable of 1982 did just that? It had a station that actually showed Molly Goldberg and Burns and Allen and Joan Davis and Ann Sothern, and before the channels went over to the dark side, TV Land showed old television programs.

Didn't you love the old A&C television show, aimalac? I liked it better than their movies, since I didn't have to listen to the Andrews Sisters (or worse) to get to the vaudeville bits. Wonderful stuff like Slowly I Turn, and He's A Pump, Pump Him, and Bacciacaloup (sp?) making him a birthday cake for him to eat at the bakery, Happy Birthday Dear Louie You Certainly Are Screwie, and them going to the Belgian Congo to find Bingo's father, and Sydney Fields, and Hillary Brooke, and Who's On First of course, and all the other wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Ahhhhhh, good times in cable, never ever ever to return.

Yes, willbefree25 I loved the old TV episodes, but also love their movies (even with the Andrews Sisters). I really enjoy all the old (50's) TV shows. I just recently discovered the METV and THIS channels on my cable system and now they are among my favorites. One old TV series I have on DVD is "Amos 'n Andy" and I wish some channel would acquire broadcast rights to that so I could enjoy those without the bother of going through my DVD library.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings