Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

No Drive-in theatre? Make one.

hamradio

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Not to get sidetracked, but suppose someone wanted to go to a drive-in (it was the only venue showing a film they wanted to see), but the person didn't own a car. Could he walk in?

They could at at least one. I have seen photographs of the enclosed seating area at the back of a drive-in theater in the Midwest in the 1960s.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Not to get sidetracked, but suppose someone wanted to go to a drive-in (it was the only venue showing a film they wanted to see), but the person didn't own a car. Could he walk in?

Yes, but they would have to bring a window to hang the speaker on.

"Not to get sidetracked, but supposed someone wanted to go to a drive in but didn't have a car?"

That remind me of a line from The Simpsons. Cletus The Slack Jawed Yokel just gets his drivers license. After that he replies "oh boy, no miore sitting in the dirt at the drive in."

I went to the Tillicum Drive-In Theater in Victoria, B.C., occasionally when I was in my teens and I didn't have a car. They had a area inside where you could look through a window and watch and hear the movie...but much as you may have been there for the movie, the others in the audience were not the best to have around. They would throw popcorn and lit matches at people in the front rows.

filmlover, that is a cool setup. The only thing that don't match the decor is the movie their watching. Lol. they couldn't had "Rebel Without a Cause" playing while taking that photo?

The mini popcorn machine is for real, I can just smell the aroma. :D

About the "crappy" speakers, that could be retro-designed modern mini-speakers or old drive-in that has been refitted, not too hard to do.

Those little speakers are about the same size as my Realistic Minimus-7 (used for different reasons). Thanks for posting that.

1268412909.jpg

By the way the drive-in speakers in their *original state* still sounds better than the ones built-in into my new Toshiba HD television. (if you remembered my post from early July 2011) This thing gives the word 'crappy' a bad name regarding sound quality.

Edited by: hamradio on Jan 19, 2012 2:46 AM Typo and a footnote added.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings