Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oh gee..THANKS!

Sepiatone

I was finally going to get around posting something on the Ronald Reagan birthday thread, but it's been LOCKED. All because a lot of you didn't care for Reagan as president and had to go overboard about it.

Guess what?

I DIDN'T care for Reagan as president EITHER, but THAT WASN'T the POINT OF THE THREAD!!

UNLIKE many of his political detractors, I had NO disparagements about his acting. As a kid, I LIKED Ronald Reagan movies, and even while he was in office, I STILL LIKED THEM!

What else? Well, I STILL LIKE Cat Steven's MUSIC! I don't care HOW many Muslim psycopaths blow up HOW many buildings!

I still care about my long-time best friend even though he won't have anything to do with me because I'm politically middle-of-the-road, and he's a militant NEOCON.

*pant, pant, pant* Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Ronnie

Sepiatone

Well generally threads should be about movies and be related to the movies. Note that the thread on Reagan started out as political. The initial poster assumed TCM had some agenda against Reagan because TCM wasn't featuring Reagan on his birthday (when anyone that has been here, knows that February is Oscar month etc...).

Since the Reagan thread started based on a bogus myth, I really don't see where it had any value (well other than to educate those that are just looking to dish TCM whenever they can).

No one is preventing anyone from starting a thread related to Reagan movies and his acting. But clearly this isn't one (just like the other one). Thus I see folly in this thread as well.

> What else? Well, I STILL LIKE Cat Steven's MUSIC! I don't care HOW many Muslim psycopaths blow up HOW many buildings!

Well, as Reagan once said famously, There you go again...

Why wouldn't you, or anyone else, hate or boycott Stevens's music unless you blame all Muslims for the atrocities a relative handful of fanatics advocate and commit? What does he have to do with them, besides sharing the conviction of all Muslims that "there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is his prophet"? Beyond that core belief, Muslims come in all shapes, sizes and temperaments; some of them play in the NBA or NFL, and others are singers like Stevens.

And if you do blame them all, then you're just as bad as the generalizations underpinning the fallacious rationalization about all us Western infidels that allows those fanatics to carry out their attacks.

A suggestion, James, could be made for TCM to pick a weekend close to Reagan's birthday to feature his movies and take a break from "31 days of Oscar" which eventually deteriorates into showing movies that were nominated, but lost, in such categories as "Best Voice Dubbing" or some such dreck.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}A suggestion, James, could be made for TCM to pick a weekend close to Reagan's birthday to feature his movies and take a break from "31 days of Oscar" which eventually deteriorates into showing movies that were nominated, but lost, in such categories as "Best Voice Dubbing" or some such dreck.

> Sepiatone

They won't take a break. I say they just do a day of his films as well as an evening and Robert O in his intro can mention they are doing it early or late due to 31 Days of Oscar. One thing about TCM is that if a star isn't getting recognized as SOTM or getting a day during SUTS, I'm pleased seeing them saluted for their bday or an evening of their films. Joseph Cotten was born May 15, he was SOTM in Dec 2008, and randomly a night of his films were highlighted earlier this month in prime time. I love that about TCM.

Why should TCM do what you suggest for such a low status actor as Reagan? I can agree that TCM could take a break from 31 Days Of Oscar for stars born in the month of February, but to me Reagan isn't a big enough actor to get such an honor. Again, I do NOT have this POV for political reason, but only based on his acting career and the limited number of quality movies he has been in (where his best movies are mostly non staring roles like Dark Victory).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings