Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe and Whitmans Chocolates Story

jerseyperson

The current clip concerning Marilyn Monroe thinking that a party conversation comment about Walt Whitman was about Whitmans Chocolates might just be giving her a good laugh right now. The smug actress relating the story might have done a little research to find out that Whitman was one of Monroe's favorite authors. There is no doubt in my mind that Marilyn was just playing Marilyn. What I wonder is if Fred Astaire was just playing along or if he was taken in as well.

I always saw Marilyn as more than what was percieved. I saw some flashes of brilliance in many of her on-screen personas, and bristle at any of the "dunderhead" labels too many pin on her.

There are, unfortunately, too many actresses and actors who do something TOO well that it stifles their abilities to stretch further. Take the case of Max Baer Jr.

No matter WHAT role he did or how well he did it, people always saw him as "Jethro Bodine, dumb-***". So he quietly proved otherwise by securing almost all the rights to "The Beverly Hillbillies", made a fortune on syndication and now rakes it in with those "Beverly Hillbillies" slot machines!

Jethro showed THEM!

Sepiatone

Every time the interstitial with Arlene Dahl gets heavy play in the rotation (usually when a Monroe film is coming up on the schedule) I always think that Dahl was the dumb one in that situation--Monroe was probably just joking. Dahl was trying to make her name around the same time as Monroe was one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, and she was probably a little jealous of the attention Monroe attracted.

On August 21, 2005, Arlene Dahl told this story on "Larry King Live" and claimed she was sitting at a piano with Cole Porter singing "You're the Top" when Marilyn made her entrance and it was only to an anonymous "group of gentlemen" Marilyn made the supposed "I love his chocolates" comment.

On December 12, 2002, also on "Larry King Live," Dahl described dancing with John F. Kennedy when Marilyn appeared and that she and JFK had "roared with laughter" when they overheard Marilyn making the remark.

On February 10, 1974, Dahl was quoted in the Ocala Star-Register: "Marilyn Monroe came over to a group – Cary Grant, Artur Rubinstein, Joan Crawford and I were in it ..."

Obviously, Arlene never spoils a story by telling it.

Still, it's unfortunate that the TCM version comes across as slamming Marilyn for being stupid.

1951-apt_c05-1.jpg

(Photograph taken by John Florea in 1952)

Shut not your doors to me proud libraries,

For that which was lacking on all your well-fill'd shelves, yet

needed most, I bring,

Forth from the war emerging, a book I have made,

The words of my book nothing, the drift of it every thing,

A book separate, not link'd with the rest nor felt by the intellect,

But you ye untold latencies will thrill to every page.

*Shut Not Your Doors* - Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass, 1881)

One final tidbit of trivia: in the TCM segment, Dahl is saying that the party was at "Lady Mendl's" (aka Elsie de Wolf) and not "Mickey Mantle's."

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}I think they were all taken in by Marilyn. Of course, she may have meant it to be taken as a joke, and expected laughter, but instead got condescension.

If the "Whitman" story actually happened, I'd love to have been there to see the reactions -- did anybody realize MM was making a self-deprecating joke ? Did she even let on that was what she was doing ?

The fact is that (much to her later regret) MM helped launch her career by making "sexy dumb blonde" remarks in public, hoping they'd get picked up by the columnists she was courting (including Winchell - ugh!).

F'rinstance: when asked what she wore to bed? "Chanel No. 5." What did she have on while posing for the infamous calendar? "The radio." Why didn't she wear colored nail polish ? "I like to feel naked all over." etc.

Actually, I've sort of done the same thing, intentionally, to get a chuckle or to lighten the mood.

Me: "What're you guys talking about?"

Them: "Joyce Kilmer"

Me: "Oh, yeah, she was cute!"

I've overheard many people make the same kind of smart-alec remarks for the same reasons. If Marilyn did so for the same reason, and people actually believed she was that dumb, she was better than they thought.

Sepiatone

Not that I am in control of this dyscussion, but as the inytiator I want to say fuddegabout it regarding the spfelling error. I am new here, but as a frequent conetributor the the Yankees message boards I have noticed that posters who use "sic" never seem to agree with the premice of the posting they are comenting on. I am not a peesakeyatrist (to quote the great Desi Arnaz as Ricky Ricardo) so I canot spekulate on the why, but that has been my experiense.

Slatonf, My (SIC) was for myself as when i typed the word it came out as misspelled and I didn't feel like looking up the correct spelling at the time. It was in no way in reference to the way you had spelled it. I personally think the story as related on TCM was a cute kind of thing. I wasn't there so I don't know what the tone of Fred's reply was or if Marilyn meant the whole thing as a joke. Who knows?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings