Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

carole lombard

jh33

RIP Carole. From everything I've read she was a wonderful, caring, considerate person. No one ever had a bad word to say about her. She gave her life while helping to sell war bonds. No doubt had she lived she would have been out there entertaining troops as that's the kind of woman she was.

• 1 year later...

Recently, I have been reviewing articles along with many photos of Carol(e) Lombard. I have discovered a strange thing: Carol and Carole are both used in print for her first name.

Her wiki page is headed by Carole.. yet the text indicates Carol was her adopted name taken from a girl she played tennis with in middle school.

Here is the reason Carole was adopted:

For her second assignment, Fast and Loose with Miriam Hopkins, *Paramount mistakenly credited the actress as "Carole Lombard".* She decided she liked this spelling and it became her permanent screen name.

I have this feeling that Amy Poehler is Carole Lombard reincarnated and deglamorized. If you watch any of Lombard in less glamorous roles -- Nothing Sacred or the earlier sections of Twentieth Century -- there is definitely a resemblance in coloring, bone structure, and even facial expressions. If you had added a few pounds to Lombard and scrubbed off the 30s pancake makeup, you might see what I mean. They are both beautiful funny ladies.

Thank you for pointing this out.. I never made the connection. You are absolutely right about the structure and weight. I couldn't find an appropriate B&W pic, but this color one bears a strong resemblance to Carole - ya think? For me, it's very strong in the eyes and mouth.

xc96jt.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings