Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Read Their Lips

Im4movies2

I find it amusing to read the actor's lips, whenever I can. Most of the time they usually speak the words on the titles either before or after the scene. They may also adlib a line that is the gist of what they are saying. Sometimes something not according to what they should be saying. I wonder if anyone can offer an example of some surprising "dialogue" they captured from a lip reading exercise of their own.

Raoul Walsh was known to let his actors really fly with the spicy dialogue, most notably in the movie *What Price Glory.* It was actually a big draw for audiences of the day and some of the language is very pointedly clear and easily understood.

*Sadie Thompson* is another of Walsh's no holds barred movies as far as language is concerned.

I think it was in a PBS American Experience program on Mary Pickford where they discussed the fact that the extras in the silents just talked about whatever they wanted while the camera rolled and one of the early women screenwriters and directors decided that they needed to have actual lines to say. They decided this because they found out that audience members were delighting in reading lips and finding out that the actors were discussing their dating lives, what they did the night before etc.. I'm sure that also included a few non G rated cuss words. Even a non English speaking actor would be lip read by members of an audience.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings