Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

programming question: re Feb 29

DuryeaForHollywood

Can anybody help me out with this one?

For the 31 Days of Oscar festival, TCM has scheduled 1965's "Battle of the Bulge" for 3 p.m. Researching on-line, I am not able to locate any Oscar nominations for this picture. The TCM site says it was an Oscar Nominee in the documentary feature category, and although there is a 1965 documentary about the BOTB that meets this criterion, it is less than an hour long. (The time slot alloted by TCM for "Battle of the Bulge" is two hours and 45 minutes, which would accommodate the longer, non-nominated war epic.

Has somebody made a slight error here, and what are we going to be seeing in Belgium between our itinerary stops of The Singing Nun and Battleground?

I couldn't find any info either on BATTLE OF THE BULGE being Oscar nominated. Maybe it's a new format this year - films we wish were Oscar-nominated.

Being a weekday afternoon airing, there won't be any intro - it would have been fun to see how it would be handled. My guess is that a revision is coming.

Say, that's pretty good, except "The Nun's Story" is airing as part of the African junket. I've only seen that picture once; as I recall it features scenes set in Belgium, as well as the Belgian Congo.

Perhaps they could show something featuring Hurcule Poirot; assuming one stretches the Around the World with Oscar concept a bit.

I doubt that a change will be made on the 29th. TCM will "suck it up" and show the fictional *Battle Of The Bulge* that day and take their lumps for the error.

BUT....

if they are looking for an "out", it could show RKO's *Nurse Edith Cavell* (1939) ...

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/85328/Nurse-Edith-Cavell/

"English nurse Edith Cavell is matron in a small private hospital in German-occupied Brussels during WWI."

...and pair it with the nominated documentary *Battle Of The Bulge*. The two films together would just fill the existing 2 hour and 45 minute time slot. *Nurse Edith Cavell* was nominated for Best Score.

BTW, the 2012 "31 Days Of Oscar" microsite is now online.

http://www.tcm.com/2012/31days

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle: What a fantastic idea! I love it, and I think TCM could easily obtain "Nurse Edith Cavell"; if I remember correctly, it was part of a 31 Days of Oscar festival a couple years back.

Don't know about the chances of tracking down and obtaining rights to the 1965 documentary, though. I'm not sure who produced it. It would be wonderful if this little film could be scheduled, though. I've always felt TCM should schedule more documentaries (short subjects and long) during Oscar month.

>For the 31 Days of Oscar festival, TCM has scheduled 1965's "Battle of the Bulge" for 3 p.m. Researching on-line, I am not able to locate any Oscar nominations for this picture. The TCM site says it was an Oscar Nominee in the documentary feature category, and although there is a 1965 documentary about the BOTB that meets this criterion, it is less than an hour long. (The time slot alloted by TCM for "Battle of the Bulge" is two hours and 45 minutes, which would accommodate the longer, non-nominated war epic.

A documentary that accompanied the dramatic film, The Battle of the Bulge...The Brave Rifles, was nominated for an Oscar. Its 52-minute running time qualified it for the Best Documentary, Feature-Length, category.

*"A documentary that accompanied the dramatic film, The Battle of the Bulge...The Brave Rifles, was nominated for an Oscar."* - SprocketMan

I am confused with the description "accompanied"? Was this "documentary" actually attached to (or part of) the film? I am wondering if this "documentary & fiction" arrangement is comparable to one used with the film The Agony And The Ecstasy?

Some presentations of *The Agony and The Ecstasy* contained a thirty minuite travelogue-like documentary on Michaelangelo and his sculptures at the beginning of the dramatic film. Was *The Battle Of The Bulge - The Brave Rifles* shown in a similar manner at some screenings?

If not and *Battle Of The Bulge - The Brave Rifles* was a stand-alone film screened separately from the feature film, that wouldn't make the dramatic film a "Oscar nominee."

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Kyle: What a fantastic idea! I love it, and I think TCM could easily obtain "Nurse Edith Cavell";* - DuryeaForHollywood

Thanks! But I was only a lucky "keyword" searcher that found a workable solution to the problem. I've not seen *Nurse Edith Cavell* - though, after reading about it, I would like to.

And I'd like to see more documentaries incorporated into the schedule too.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 1 month later...

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}How about THE NUN'S STORY? It clocks in at 149 minutes.

Well, that was a good guess, that's the replacement for BATTLE OF THE BULGE. My apologies to all as it did just air on the 15th.

Still, congrats to the OP who noticed the error and to the person who spotted this thread and made the correction.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings