Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who is Woody Allen and why is TCM saying

PhygLeGuy

so many terribly inaccurate things about him?

12/01/07-On Woody’s birthday, Mr. Mankiewicz--sporting his Wackiki Wabbit whiskers--introduces Radio Days as the story of a family that lived in Brooklyn. The movie starts and the narrator, Woody Allen himself, tells us that the family in the movie lived in Rockaway, which is in Queens. If you were to accidentally step off a subway in Brooklyn when Rockaway was your actual destination, it likely wouldn’t take more than an hour or two to find a cab driver willing to complete your journey for not much more than say $80 or $90, so that’s actually pretty close, as terribly inaccurate statements go.

01/10/12-Guest programmer James L. Brooks introduces Ten from Your Show of Shows by informing us that it was compiled from a television series titled Your Show of Shows, which had a writing staff that included Woody Allen. Your Show of Shows ran from 1950-1954, ending its run shortly after Woody’s eighteenth birthday. Woody’s only experience writing for Sid Caesar came on The Sid Caesar Show in 1963, so Mr. Brooks was off by less than a decade. And wasn’t it slightly curious that no one at TCM, where they know how not to cut, noticed that their pesky distributor had sent them a copy of Ten from Your Show of Shows that was a mere 90% short of uncut. At least the complete closing credits were shown, including the movie’s title and names of cast members who only appeared in the unshown segments.

01/13/12-While introducing Love and Death, Mr. Osborne informs us that the movie’s co-star, Diane Keaton, was Woody’s “real-life girlfriend at the time,” and that after filming this movie in France and Hungary, Woody “vowed he would never work outside of New York City again, and he didn’t, not for some 30 years.” Ms. Keaton’s girlfriendosity vis-à-vis Mr. Allen began and ended during the Broadway run of Play It Again, Sam in 1970. By the time she co-starred in Love and Death five years later, her status was pretty much that of frequent co-star. And the statement regarding never filming outside of New York City for some 30 years was almost correct, with a few minor exceptions including Annie Hall (1977, Los Angeles); Interiors (1978, Southampton and Westchester); Stardust Memories (1980, New Jersey); Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982, Pocantico Hills); Zelig (1983, New Jersey); Broadway Danny Rose (1984, New Jersey); Purple Rose of Cairo (1985, New Jersey); Hannah and Her Sisters (1986, Los Angeles); Mighty Aphrodite (1995, Sicily); Everyone Says I Love You (1996, Paris, Venice); Celebrity (1998, Romania); and Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001, Los Angeles). I guess never ain‘t what it used to be.

Last March, when a number of TCM employees took brief turns sitting in the guest programmer seat and telling Mr. Osborne what they did at TCM, not one listed wiping the dust off of the teleprompter screen among their job description. Perhaps it is time to rectify that situation.

I was in New York only once in my life for 12 hours a couple of years ago. I saw the Flatiron building, which as a photography hobbyist was a high point, walked past a scaffold covered Macy's, climbed up the stairs of a half dozen firetraps to help my wife look at overpriced knock-off purses, and ate the most mediocre shrimp I ever tasted a Bubba Gump's. Personally, I have NO idea where Rockaway is in conjuction to Brooklyn. But I DO know that story is centered in Rockaway. And I DON'T EVEN HOST A MOVIE PROGRAM!

Now, I always thought Allen's and Keaton's hook-up happened during the filming of *Sleeper*. And before her, it was Louise Lasser?

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings