Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Charter Cable Has Removed TCM from Basic Lineup

rivey

In their efforts to bilk customers of more money, Charter Communications has removed TCM, and so many other beloved channels, from its basic lineup. This occurred late last month. One now has to buy a "box" in order to receive this channel and others. It's another CC scam, and I'm livid. Can anyone think of a way to have TCM restored with adding the fee of a "box"?

Whine, whine...don't you realize that as cable changes, cable companies have to change also...and nothing can possibly stay the same as it was 20 or even 10 years ago?

How many channels is your "basic" cable lineup containing? I have Comcast's expanded basic, which is something like 100 channels, and their "basic" cable service only contains about the first 10 or so channels. When they went digital, one HAS to have a cable box now...that's simply the way it works for them (although it kinda defeats the point of my television being able to tune in hundreds of channels of one has to have a box for service, but anyway...).

The other person here replied that he gets expanded basic also (as do I), except he says he doesn't need a box....but that's obviously the way his cable service is set up by his provider. I suspect that Charter isn't "scamming" anyone, but has a change in how its service works. You said you now need a box to receive TCM and others....and I think that's the same way my service works with Comcast. You may just have to LIVE with it....it's sounding like that's the way it IS.

It's no scam of any sort "trying to bilk customers of more money". You just have to deal with it...one can't get something for nothing, you know.

You never stated how your cable is set up. Charter use to be my cable provider before Suddenlink took it over in the early 2000's and TCM has never been part of the basic package in my area since its introduction.

Basic in my area is channels 2-22 and extended basic 23-78. TCM is on channel 73. I don't know if Charter in your area did a recent upgrade like Suddenlink did in mine a couple of years back.

The upgrade was getting rid of the extended package in analog and switching to SD (standard definition in digital). My channels are now 1-78 in SD plus 2-22 in analog (I remove those manually for my DVD recorder and HD television). TCM is now channel 73.1 SD I use the SL DigitaLink box for my older VCR.

If Charter made similiar changes in your area, the SL DigitaLink box should be free of charge and one should be ask for more than 1 if you have multiple sets (going by my provider). Its simple to hook up.

Here is the one Suddenlink provides in my area. I hope this post be of some help to you.

CORE_install_flat_full.jpg

CORE_overview_flat_full.jpg

tivoSDL.png

My cable (Cox here in So Cal), also has 3 tiers: Basic which is local stations and the 4 networks, than extended which has ESPN, TCM, Food, etc... The final tier is where one pays for each station like HBO, or for my mom the Japanese network or my wife the Italian one.

As for a scam; Well when there was no other choices (e.g. before directTV or other services), one could say cable was a scam because consumers had no other viable options.

This isn't the case today (well unless one lives in the high, remote mountains!).

rivey, Cablevision did the same thing in NY. You're correct, they *are* bilking you, since they charge more for digital cable and there are no limits on the rate hikes. If you're in Westchester and want TCM, you have two options - Cablevision or FIOS, and they both engage in price fixing.

Your third option is the converter box, and no TCM.

Can anyone think of a way to have TCM restored with adding the fee of a "box"?

No, they have you over a barrel and there's no way you can get back TCM without capitulating to them.

IF you have a choice of cable providers, read the fine print carefully and ask a lot of questions. They are not in business to make you a happy customer.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> As for a scam; Well when there was no other choices (e.g. before directTV or other services), one could say cable was a scam because consumers had no other viable options.

That's your mis-definition of the word....which, specifically, is:

Definition of SCAM

*:* a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation <an insurance scam>

What it comes down to here in this thread is that some are simply NOT happy with not getting what they want....or want for nothing (or next-to-nothing).

1-30days-pour-wine-lg-63555269.jpg

Have you been reading my post on this topic (in this thread and others)? I'm the one getting beaten up by the vast majority here as some dirty capitalist! :)

I generally agree with you that many people are just complaining and often just wish to get something for nothing. I also wasn't the initial one that used the term 'scam' in this regard. But yes, scam isn't the correct term.

But it is true that the city or county determines what cable company services the area and thus consumers are only left with one option with regards to which cable company to use. In my view this gives that cable company too much power over consumers (but the blame for this rest with the city or county leaders). The good news is that today there are many more options and thus, at least in theory, cable companies have to be more responsive to consumers needs.

PS: I'm a major red wine lover. I go to Napa at least once a year and France and Italy, every other year. Not just for the wine of coruse but wine is always part of the trips. Not sure why you showed that picture but if it was to suggest 'hey, folks, chill out' that advise is a good one.

FWIW, james, I've been thinking about this all day (off & on) and I came to the same conclusion as you. It's a free market and if you want something bad enough, you'll pay for it. While some cities have 1 cable co., there is always the satellite option. Cable tv is basically my only entertainment--I rarely go out to films and never buy DVD's. It's worth it to me to pay what I pay, even if I don't watch every channel every day.

I don't see it as a scam or bilking--it's what the market will bear and what one is willing to pay.

JJG, I hope to bump into you someday, you seem like a cool guy.

There's already a thread about this in Hot Topics....Comcast did the same thing, put TCM on higher tier. And it's amazing there is NO less expensive alternative. It's as if all the cable "providers" agree to stay right in the same price range. Maybe that's the rock bottom prices, you never know.

>It's a free market and if you want something bad enough, you'll pay for it.

Exactly.

But I betcha if someone provided an a la carte cable system for half the price, they'd corner the market. The way things are now, I feel "owned" by the heelots. I simply can't afford cable in this economy.

I've noticed cel phone packages are all pretty expensive too. (maybe why people are constantly glued to them-get their money's worth) I've opted out of that too and only carry the most basic of models for emergency. (came in handy when I fell of my horse alone in a field)

helenbaby, I agree with you and TikiSoo, but am not courageous enough to have 'stick-to-it-ive-ness'. I complained when LL Bean began to feature 'imported' items, and they gave me the appropriate doubletalk (we monitor our quality even if our products are made in underpaid Third World countries - well, they didn't say that exactly but it was close), but I do shop at Walmart.

I tried to find items only made in America, but it didn't work. When given the chance, I lunge at those I find.

I have a phone without a camera and yes, I too use it only when needed. I speak out to those in supermarkets who insist on telling everyone they're buying a chicken, and everyone around me thinks I'm talking on my BlueTooth. :)

I was devastated when I dropped my almost 20 year old CRT, believe me, but ashamedly I admit that I like TCM on the big screen. I too admit that media is my Achille's Heel, and like to think I'm discriminating.

TikiSoo, on your other post: yes, FIOS will not make ANY changes to my service without FORCING me to go to a DIGITAL phone, which entails connection to the router, an 8 hour battery back up, and yes, outages that they excused in advance - oh well, everyone has a cell phone! Can you imagine??? Lest I give them a pass, Cablevision is just as bad.

Funny part is, I'm not 'that' old and I remind me of an octogenarian sitting on a porch in a rocking chair, complaining about the advent of the horseless carriage. Ah well.

ETA: I misspoke about trying to find only goods made in America, I used to buy dandy winter boots in Nordstrom made in Canada, but no more. UGG was actually made in Australia for awhile, but no more. I guess what I like is quality, which can be the U.S., the UK, Canada, etc. It's the one stitch every ten feet of length in sweaters and dresses and the like that are foisted upon us for a 400% (or more, what do I know) markup, and we are expected to say thank you, may I have some more. We are now a completely disposable economy, and I don't like it. Which is why I applaud TikiSoo.

I'm so of two minds in the "made in America" discussion. Of course I prefer to buy American, but I know how the US economy would be hurt if people in all those other countries preferred only to buy their own local products as opposed to US products. I do feel that LLBean's quality has gone down in recent years. I had to make two returns in recent months, based on poor construction which revealed itself over less than a year. How that contrasts with my old LL Bean chamois shirt, which I got as a Christmas gift 40 years ago!

But I'm really pleased that my cable company -- RCN -- has just announced that all customer service will now be centered in the United States.

Swithin, I can't speak to U.S. export vs U.S. import, but I'm guessing the middle and lower class Americans come out behind.

I had to train my own replacement in the Philippines, over the phone and internet, when I was fired along with 5K others because the company that could do it did. I know whereof you speak when you tout American call centers. Cutbacks even in American CC have left us with the likes of the FIOS customer service (horrific), but the deliberate incomprehensible phone calls of the CC in Bangladesh is a bean counter's dream. A dream because they happily work for peanuts, and deliberate because you and I hang up on them and voila, no more problem.

A funny story - the Ascutney Mountain Resort in Vermont is now run by a hotel chain located in Florida. Last Fall, the accomodations were more than a little chilly. Very long story short, the temperature of the rooms in Vermont are set by the management company in...you guessed it, Florida. Protestations on the phone and online afterwards resulted in...you guessed it, nothing.

Willbefree, very amusing hotel story! And regarding who comes out behind in the larger picture of international trade, you may be right.

My cable company has just started running ads to the effect that their customer service is now all US-based. Much of it used to be in the Philippines. Nice people. But if their ads are accurate -- I haven't needed to phone them yet -- it would be great.

Well thanks for the nice words. As for your idea of an a la carte cable system, I don't think that is possible since, cities or counties contract with only one cable company for the use of the physical cables owned by the cities that go from house to house using public land.

This physical reality is what requires cities to contract with only one cable company. I don't know enough about the legal terms of these contacts to know if a city could require their cable company to offer an a la carte services. I believe that is covered under federal law and thus cities are restricted (but again, I'm not sure about all the legal contract angles).

The beauty of satellite systems is that the physical paradigm here allows for more competition and thus consumer choice. We have seen this with cell phone service. But we have also seen cell phone companies buy out their competitors as a way of gaining market share and thus reducing competition. Oh the games that are played in a so called free market system!

WillBeFree Florida Vermont story was funny. I'm about to head out to Florida for work. I have somewhat of the opposite experience. When I check into the hotel the first thing I do is raise the temp. I have found that people in Florida really like to set the AC to around 68 or lower. I like to go to Florida to warm up! Even in the winter (where it is now in the high 70s which to me is perfect), they have the AC on. So I set the AC to around 78. When I get back to my room I find the maid as lowered it down to 68 or less. What a waste. No one in my room all day but the AC is running.

• 4 weeks later...

*Where is TCM management on this issue?* It's interesting that both Charter *and *Comcast have moved TCM to a higher tier - and it's my understanding that only TCM was moved, as of about Jan. 15, 2012. *Are we going to take this lying down or do we just leet the market dictate what the traffic will bear?*

Who's at fault here? TCM or the cable companies? *What the real story?*

HollywoodMike, read all the other threads on the crooked cable companies, it's very eye opening.

Who's at fault here? TCM or the cable companies? *What the real story?*

The despotic cable companies make the rules, and you pay them for the pleasure of ripping you off and deciding your programming. If you won't play by their rules, your only choice is to move to an equally despotic competitor or do away with cable completely.

> I had to make two returns in recent months, based on poor construction which revealed itself over less than a year. How that contrasts with my old LL Bean chamois shirt, which I got as a Christmas gift 40 years ago!

Haha I have one of those shirts too Swithin - stolen from a bf 30+ years ago! It's funny the quality goes down while the prices stay high. And I have real UGGs bought in Australia in '84, but won't wear them anymore since everyone else does. (vintage ones are a lot nicer)

Yeah and I love technology too (Ima former Mac tech) but just don't feel the need for constantly upgrading or staying connected.

Only 40 years ago 50% of US clothing was manufactured in the US. All of you with HBO should see the documentary "Schmatta" (rags) to learn more about it. I'm off to NC and will see no fewer than 3 factory tours, one - my beloved Thorlo sock mills.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to forge your own path. I've never been in a Wal*Mart and never missed it. I find real shetland wool sweaters at thrift stores or estate sales for under $5. Dial-up works just fine for wiling away my time here, email and the basic stuff I need to do. Never missed YouTube nonsense even one minute.

My one weakness was TV, my biggest pleasure. I could easily watch 4 movies in a row, mostly during my 8 hour workday. I once took a lunch break from Cinefest and while home...WATCHED A MOVIE.

No one could BELIEVE I'd give up my cable, and frankly only could because MrTiki can afford it. I set up my DVR at his house next door and record 2-3 movies a week on TCM. The library has all those Fox musicals TCM can't get, MST3K & even BluRay.

My funny story:

Last night I was over there and my first thought was, "What's on TCM?" The last 30 minutes of In Cold Blood went into North By Northwest.

sick.gif

It's surprisingly easy to downgrade, life is great & I miss nothing.

w00t.gif

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings