Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To!!!! Jan 21st through Jan 29th!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove to--Jan 21-Jan 29!!!

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post my weekly TCM flix to groove to the past couple of weeks, so I will cover this weekend through next weekend, and then I'll be taking a groove break for the Oscar's month, back in March!!

Kicking it off with yet another groovy Saturday morning, TCM has really been rockin' it every Saturday for the past couple of years, man!! Here we have the 1939 WB flick, ANGELS WASH THEIR FACES, with the Dead End Kids, Ronald Reagan, and Bonita Granville! We see too few of these WB classics from the 30's lately, so grooving on every chance we get! Followed by a pre-code flick I've not seen before, from 1932, MEN OF CHANCE, with my main man Ricardo Cortez and Mary Astor, this to me is a must see!! Noir and crime and Ladd and Lake in THE GLASS KEY (1942) is up next, also featuring my main man Brian Donlevy, William Bendix, and Joseph Calleia!! Then this week's "Lone Wolf" feature, this time sans my man Warren William, as Gerald Mohr steps into the lead role, with Eric Blore still along for the ride, in THE NOTORIOUS LONE WOLF (1946)!! Will be interesting to see the contrast between Mohr and William. Noon is jungle time on Saturdays on TCM, and we're still in the midst of the "Bomba Boy" series, this time BOMBA AND THE JUNGLE GIRL (1952), with Johnny Sheffield still carrying on in the lead! Later that afternoon, check out Lon Chaney, Jr, in his non-horror signature role, in OF MICE AND MEN (1939)!!

Sunday, I'm looking forward to a film I've not seen before, with "Miss Kitty", Amanda Blake, taking the lead in MISS ROBIN CRUSOE (1953)! This could be a "stinker", but I'd still like to check it out, particularly as I've been grooving to the early "Gunsmoke" series a lot lately! But man, Sunday night!!!!! OMG, a tribute to the great Bela Lugosi!!! With 3 blockbusters, starting with MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932), not widely revered, but in my opinion a much, much underrated horror treat! This is followed by a film I consider my favorite 1930s horror flick, and that's saying a lot considering how many great ones are from that decade, THE BLACK CAT (1934), the first and in my view, the best, pairing of Bela and Boris Karloff!! Directed by Edgar G Ulmer, the flick is filled with delicious pre-code touches (some of them clearly edited out, but enough to still get a flavor!), gothic imagery and an incredibly moody score! Awesome, awesome flick!!! This is followed by Bela, along with Charles Laughton, Richard Arlen, and Leila Hyams in the classic ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933), a flick rarely aired on TCM and it's an awesome flick!! Following the Bela tribute, the chills don't stop with the Silent Sunday feature HAXAN (1922)!! Also groove to the Fellini masterpiece, NIGHTS OF CABIRIA (1957)!!!

Monday, Jan 23 is all about the old west, as we get a block of western flicks! I'm most looking forward to seeing TEXAS (1941), which pairs William Holden and Glenn Ford, with Claire Trevor along the way! A series of "Kid's" follows, with THE KID FROM TEXAS (1939), with Dennis O'Keefe, THE KID FROM KOKOMO (1939), with Pat O'Brien, Wayne Morris, and the sexy Joan Blondell!!! Next Kid up is THE UTAH KID (1944) with Hoot Gibson and Bob Steele, followed by THE KID FROM BROKEN GUN (1952), with Charles Starrett and Smiley Burnette!!

Monday night features flicks directed by Max Ophuls, and I'm looking forward to the entire night, starting with James Mason and Joan Bennett starring in THE RECKLESS MOMENT (1949)!! Mason shows up again, this time with Barbara Bel Geddes and Robert Ryan in another 1949 flick, CAUGHT, both of these very suspenseful!!! Also looking forward to LA RONDE (1950) with Anton Walbrook and Simone Simon!!, as well as THE EARRINGS OF MADADE DE...(1954) with Charles Boyer and Danielle Darrieux!

Tuesday celebrates Ernest Borgnine during the daytime, featuring such films as MARTY (1955), THE CATERED AFFAIR (1956) and THE BADLANDERS (1958) to name a few, but my highest recommendation goes to checking out the Private Screenings feature which closes out the day, I saw that once a while back and it was groovy great! It's from 2009, and always great to see and hear these classic actors or actresses spead about their lives and careers with Robert O!

Wednesday daytime grooves with musicals and shows!, and the grooviest for me are Eddie Cantor (always a hoot!), George Murphy and Joan Davis in SHOW BUSINESS (1944), along with GEORGE WHITE'S SCANDALS (1946), also with Joan Davis, along with Jack Haley, Jane Greer, and Margaret Hamilton!!

We're talking about prisons and convicts on Friday daytime with an incredibly hot lineup!!! Kicks it off with a pre-code early talkie I've not seen before, NUMBERED MEN (1930), with Conrad Nagel, Bernice Claire and Raymond Hackett!!! Really looking forward to this one, directed by Mervyn Leroy!! Jean Harlow shows up along with Robert Taylor, Reginald Taylor and Una O'Connor in PERSONAL PROPERTY (1937)!! Followed by the classic prison flick from WB late 30s, with Jimmy Cagney and my main man George Raft, EACH DAWN I DIE (1939), a classic and always a treat!! Up next is my main man Lee Tracy in the low-budget, but groovy, MILLIONAIRES IN PRISON (1940)!! Robert Sterling stars in the 1941 flick, THE GET-AWAY, also starring Donna Reed!!! One of the Dr. Gillespie series with Lionel Barrymore is up next, DR. GILLESPIE'S CRIMINAL CASE (1943), with Van Johnson and Keye Luke!! Another low-budget groove is next, INSIDE THE WALLS OF FOLSOM PRISON (1951), with Steve Cochrane, followed by a sadistic Ida Lupino in WOMEN'S PRISON (1955), cool and campy!! and rounding out the theme, we find Jack Palance in an interesting dual role in HOUSE OF NUMBERS (1957)!!

Friday night is devoted to a tribute to the great director James Whale, with 4 of his flix!!! To lead off, THE GREAT GARRICK (1937) with Brian Aherne, Olivia de Havilland, and Edward Everett Horton!! Next is ONE MORE RIVER (1934), which is a flick I've never seen before, featuring my man Colin Clive, Diana Wynyard, and my man main Lionel Atwill!! This is followed by a double feature of two of Whales' horror classics: THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933), with a tour-de-force performance by Claude Rains in the lead, along with the lovely Gloria Stuart, and my main man Dwight Frye!!! Followed by the one and only classic 1931 FRANKENSTEIN, the film that put Boris Karloff on the horror map, also featuring my pair of main men, Colin Clive and Dwight Frye, along with the drop-dead gorgeous Mae Clarke, and John Boles, as well as another of my main men, Edward Van Sloan!! Another incredibly groovy evening, thanks to TCM!!

And, since I won't be able to do a grooves post for the following week, I'll include the weekend of Jan 28 and 29, as well! And of course, Saturday, Jan 28 is all about groovy in the morning, kicking it off this time with a pair of camp sci-fi classics, THE COSMIC MONSTERS (1958), with Forrest Tucker, along with THE QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (1958), what more appropriately entitled flick starring the one and only Zsa Zsa Gabor!!! Another round of Lone Wolf action with Gerald Mohr in the lead, this time in THE LONE WOLF IN LONDON (1947), with Eric Blore still hanging on! And Johnny Sheffield featured in yet another Bomba feature, SAFARI DRUMS (1953)!!

Saturday, Jan 28, evening is about post-mortem, films that feature actors in their final roles--kicks off with a film featuring two stars in that predicament--THE MISFITS (1961), where both the King and Queen passed soon after; SARATOGA (1937), which was released before the sad passing of Jean Harlow; SOYLENT GREEN (1973), the great Edward G Robinson's final film appearance, and GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER (1967), which tends to be overplayed, but I never tire of watching Spencer Tracy in his final role!

Sunday, Jan 29, in the morning, I'd be grooving with Ida Lupino, Joan Leslie, Dennis Morgan, and Jack Carson in an interesting drama, THE HARD WAY (1942), and Sunday evening is all about "Just the Facts, Ma'am" Jack Webb, in THE D.I. (1957), and 30 (1959), the latter a newspaper drama, also featuring William Conrad! And Sunday's Silent Feature is the delightful EXIT SMILING (1926) with Beatrice Lillie and Jack Pickford!!

What a long week of grooves!!! Thank you, TCM, for yet another rocking hot week of classic flix!!!

I am very happy to see you have returned! :)

I was hoping you knew of *Miss Robin Crusoe* (1953) as the synopsis is very unhelpful.

I was hoping also you knew of *Murders in the Rue Morgue* (1932) as I love the story and I do not know how well it would translate to the screen.

I was very happy to see *The Black Cat* on the schedule before I saw that it is the 1934 movie of that name and not the 1968 movie of that name. I do not remember this version. I am sure it does not have the innate horror or mind-twistyness of the Japanese movie.

I am wondering if *Where the Spies Are* (1965) is worth the complications involved in watching.

I find it odd that the supporting cast of *The Lone Wolf in London* (1947) are what make it special. Eric Blore is at his finest. I do not like Gerald Mohr as the Lone Wolf. He seems to me to be cheesy and insincere rather than charming and devious.

Are there significant dining scenes in *The Misfits* and *Saratoga* or are *Soylent Green* (1973) and *Guess Who's Coming to Dinner* (1967) grouped because of a thing other than meals?

I have seen *Man's Favorite Sport* (1964) under less-than-ideal conditions and I am eagerly looking forward to watching it with no interruptions! This may be the high-point of the week for me.

I hope you please remember to come back to us in March as I rely on your recommendations!

>starting with MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932), not widely revered, but in my opinion a much, much underrated horror treat!

This film used to be shown often in the 1950s, especially around Halloween. I think it's a great film and an important one about science and another "mad doctor".

This is about cross-breeding humans with apes. Which, essentially, now, can be done with DNA manipulation.

The tie could be that these are the last complete films that the actors made before their deaths.

"Soylent Green"=Edward G. Robinson, "The Misfits" = Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe (last completed film), "Saratoga" = Jean Harlow, "Rebel Without a Cause = James Dean (died during filming of "Giant"), "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" = Spencer Tracy.

Sans Fin, thank you so much for your wonderful compliments!!! :)

I will surely be back in March without question! I absolutely love TCM and love sharing my weekly thoughts and recommendations about the flix coming up!!

As for MISS ROBIN CRUSOE, I have not seen it, so can't really recommend it, but it's on my viewing radar for sure! I mainly want to check it out because of Amanda Blake! I've been totally grooving lately to the early episodes of GUNSMOKE, and I really love watching the interaction of the characters on that series, and the actors portraying them seem to have a genuine chemistry. I am not sure I've ever seen Amanda Blake in anything else, to be honest, so that attracted me!

As for MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE, definitely recommended!!! I hope you enjoy it! Bela in one of his finest roles, over the top for sure, but just the way I love him!

Yes, I don't think Mohr can hold a candle to my main man Warren William, but still willing to give it a shot!

I hope you'll give the 1934 THE BLACK CAT a chance! It's so moody and atmospheric, and for fans of horror and their icons, it's the best-IMHO-pairing of two of them, Bela and Boris! I'm sure it's different from anything released in 1968 (not seen that one, I have to admit), but it's my absolute favorite horror film from a decade where there were so many wonderful and amazing horror films!

Saturday, Jan 28, the theme is "post-mortem" featuring stars in their final roles before their passing!

Have fun with this coming week's films, Sans Fin!!! Hope you are grooving!

Many of the on-air voices I hear on TCM inform me that if I want to know what's going to be playing on TCM I can visit TCM dot com. When I do so, I am informed that the themes for the days listed in this post are as follows:

Saturday, January 21, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: NEITHER SNOW, NOR RAIN, NOR HEAT...

Sunday, January 22, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: BELA LUGOSI

Monday, January 23, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: MAX OPHULS IN HOLLYWOOD

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: SPY COMEDIES

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

STAR OF THE MONTH: ANGELA LANSBURY

Thursday, January 26, 2012

TCM SPOTLIGHT: JACK CARDIFF

Friday, January 27, 2012

TCM SPOTLIGHT: DIRECTED BY JAMES WHALE

Saturday, January 28, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: POST MORTEM MOVIES

Sunday, January 29, 2012

THE ESSENTIALS: JACK WEBB

I would like to extend my condolences to Ms. Lansbury, Mr. Cardiff, and Mr. Whale on their non-essentialness, and I look forward to more themes from Herodotus.

>But man, Sunday night!!!!! OMG, a tribute to the great Bela Lugosi!!! With 3 blockbusters,

I'm recording this as a "Classic Horror Triple Feature" for later viewing*

>HAXAN (1922)!

I have a copy of this in my DVD library... I'm really into witches from a historical perspective. I recommend this- a real oddity & interest to horror fans.

>We're talking about prisons and convicts on Friday daytime with an incredibly hot lineup!!!

MrTiki is super into classic prison movies and I've been waiting for this all month. An extra bonus with a pre-code & an overlap of my interest with WOMEN'S PRISON (55)

>Wednesday daytime grooves with musicals and shows!

I agree with you 100% I never miss a Cantor and Joan Davis is a definite bonus!

>Sunday evening is all about "Just the Facts, Ma'am" Jack Webb, in THE D.I. (1957), and 30 (1959)

Looking forward to this one....I have the poster for "30", bought just for the great graphic. Hope it turns out to be a fun flick.

*later viewing...Feb 1st I'm unsubscribing to cable

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:}{quote}

> I hope you'll give the 1934 THE BLACK CAT a chance! It's so moody and atmospheric, and for fans of horror and their icons, it's the best-IMHO-pairing of two of them, Bela and Boris! I'm sure it's different from anything released in 1968 (not seen that one, I have to admit), but it's my absolute favorite horror film from a decade where there were so many wonderful and amazing horror films!

I will certainly watch it as they are both high on my list of favorite actors.

The 1968 movie of the same name is about a peasant woman and her daughter-in-law raped and murdered by samurai and they are now spirits who lure samurai to their death. The son/husband returns from the war as a samurai and he is sent by his master to destroy the demons. It is in black and white and is set in a forest and a swamp. The imagery of fire is astounding. It has been many years since I have seen it and I still feel chills when I recall some scenes.

Thank you for the reminder, [~markbeckuaf]. Otherwise, I would never pay attention to TCM's schedule.

I do not like Gerald Mohr as the Lone Wolf.

Ah, is that who that was. I remember him as a big television presence, and ouch, if that's him in the pictorial lineup when you google his name, he didn't look good at the end. They did the Lone Wolf series a disservice when they recast it with him.

They went to great pains to explain in yesterday's abomination (poor Eric Blore) that he did his patriotic dury in WWII and had been away for four years. I wonder if the audience was desperate enough to keep coming back for more Wolf movies? Anyone know if William got tired of the whole thing or if the studio cheaped out on paying him?

OK Mark (and anyone else who knows these films) I need help weeding through "prison" day. I certainly can't record the entire day.

NUMBERED MEN (1930)

PERSONAL PROPERTY (1937)

I'll put these on 1 disk as a "double feature" love pre-code & Harlow

EACH DAWN I DIE (1939)

I'll need this to complete my "gangster" set

MILLIONAIRES IN PRISON (1940)

GET-AWAY, THE (1941)

INSIDE THE WALLS OF FOLSOM PRISON (1951)

These three I am totally unsure about. Are any really worth watching or more importantly, keeping?

WOMEN'S PRISON (1955)

A definite "keeper" for my women's prison set.

Think I'm going to skip House of Numbers-it sounds kind of goofy. But I also think I better snag up The Invisible Man for my "classic horror" set.

REPULSION (1965)

Roman Polanski....worth recording or just boring?

Yes, I am unsubscribing to cable Feb 1st. I cannot justify (I'm self employed!) spending $70/month for ONE TV station, which is all I watch. I'll be recording the occasional choice TCM film from a neighboring house to supplement DVD watching. So this kind of thread will be very important in my near future.

>

> As for MISS ROBIN CRUSOE, I have not seen it, so can't really recommend it, but it's on my viewing radar for sure! I mainly want to check it out because of Amanda Blake! I've been totally grooving lately to the early episodes of GUNSMOKE, and I really love watching the interaction of the characters on that series, and the actors portraying them seem to have a genuine chemistry. I am not sure I've ever seen Amanda Blake in anything else, to be honest, so that attracted me!

>

Mark,

I just watched it. Let us know what you thought after you see it.

It really was pretty cheesy - looked like a Monogram jungle set (I half expected to see The Bowery Boys or Bomba The Jungle Boy walk into a scene at any moment!) It's actually an independent production released through 20th Century-Fox.

But it has bright colors, and was good fun in a "bad movie fun" sort of way.

The editing looked weird in that a lot of scenes seemed to fade out to black too quickly before they appeared to really be over.

I was actually looking forward to this one as something I'd never seen, or even heard of before. And I admit I did enjoy it.

If you're watching it as an Amanda Blake fan, you'll be pleased...you get to see a LOT of her in the movie (you'll see what I mean!)

Was this a TCM premiere? I don't recall ever seeing it scheduled before.

Anyone else see it and have any comments?

>

TCM Flix to Groove to--Jan 21-Jan 29!!!

Sunday night!!!!! OMG, a tribute to the great Bela Lugosi!!! ....MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932), not widely revered, but in my opinion a much, much underrated horror treat!

This one features two of my favorite movie ladies: Sidney Fox and Edna Marion.

Miss Fox is the star while Edna appears unbilled (in her final film role). If you are familiar with the silent Laurel & Hardy and Charley Chase shorts of the late 1920's you should know the beautiful Edna Marion. In this one she appears in the opening scenes as Bert Roach's girlfriend "Mignette".

Musicalnovelty, I pretty much agree with your assessment! it was very cheesy, but I kinda thought it might be going in, so it wasn't jarring in any way. It was fun to see Amanda Blake outside of her Miss Kitty role, and that is the only reason I tuned in and hung with it. And, I totally loved seeing "more" of her! YUM! :)

> markbeckuaf wrote:

> As for MISS ROBIN CRUSOE, I have not seen it, so can't really recommend it, but it's on my viewing radar for sure! I mainly want to check it out because of Amanda Blake! I've been totally grooving lately to the early episodes of GUNSMOKE, and I really love watching the interaction of the characters on that series, and the actors portraying them seem to have a genuine chemistry. I am not sure I've ever seen Amanda Blake in anything else, to be honest, so that attracted me!

Hi Mark,

I saw Amanda Blake in 3 movies right here on TCM over the past year:

High Society (1955), a Bowery Boys movie shown in December 2010

Cattle Town (1952), a western starring Dennis Morgan and Phil Carey, shown in April 2011

Smuggler's Gold (1951), a western shown in May 2011

Surely you have at least seen the Bowery Boys movie? I thought you saw them all when TCM ran them.

I wish I had seen Miss Robin Crusoe. I saw it in the TCM online schedule, but then when I went to record it, the DirecTV program guide said it was Robinson Crusoe, so I figured I had misread the TCM schedule and I didn't record it. Sounds like it was interesting! I sure would have liked seeing more of Miss Blake. ;-)

I always enjoy seeing the Gunsmoke actors outside Gunsmoke, like Milburn Stone in Pickup on South Street which I used to watch on FMC. I have really been enjoying the early Gunsmokes on Encore Westerns which is doing a much better job than MeTV--not only are they commercial-free, but they have restored the original Gunsmoke opening rather than the syndicated Marshal Dillon opening!

Robbie

Hi Robbie! First, it's really great to see you around again! I missed you, my friend!!!

I think I forgot about HIGH SOCIETY, I do remember seeing Amanda Blake in that flick! I think I missed those others though! But this one was a bit different in that it was in color and also she was featured much more prominently, in more ways than one! :)

I also have been thoroughly grooving to the 1/2 hour Gunsmoke episodes on Encore! I also love it so much more than Me-TV, aside from lack of commercials, I agree that the original opening is great! They are mostly very nice prints also. I love these earlier episodes the most, and even though I saw all of them on Me-TV not long ago, and some of them twice on there, I love watching them all again! These earlier ones really have a quality to them, and they are tight in the half hour format, not so much filler as you found occasionally in the hour long episodes. Also, it's interesting to watch Marshal Dillon's looser, and more personal, interpretation of justice and how to mete it out in these early episodes. I am not familiar with the radio series, but I have heard that they are closer in tone to those, with lead writer John Meston, around for both.

Tonight I'm hoping to groove to some of the Ophuls flix!!! Groovy!

Tiki, I can totally understand not wanting to pay that much for one channel! Pretty much TCM is all I watch as well, other than a couple of the open access digital channels (which you can also get without cable), and some Encore Westerns.

I'm glad you'll still have some access to TCM though!

You have chosen wisely for what you've selected so far! Of those 3 low-budget prison dramas you have grouped there, I personally would select MILLIONAIRES IN PRISON, as it features Lee Tracy and for me he's always fun to groove to, but your mileage may vary. If you are not into him that much, then I'd roll with THE GET-AWAY. As for the Palance flick that closes out the day, I'd try to get it if you could. It's a little slow in parts, but watching Palance chew the scenery in the dual role is pretty cool!

That's my .02 on it anyway! :)

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Think I'm going to skip House of Numbers-it sounds kind of goofy.

I hope you did not skip it. It is not the most gripping drama and it seems to me that it drags in spots. It is a nice little drama and I am glad I have seen it.

>markbeckuaf wrote:

>Hi Robbie! First, it's really great to see you around again! I missed you, my friend!!!

Hi Mark,

My energy has been worse than usual and I have not been able to participate in the boards as much as I used to. I also have not been able to watch TCM as much as I used to.

>I also have been thoroughly grooving to the 1/2 hour Gunsmoke episodes on Encore! I also love it so much more than Me-TV, aside from lack of commercials, I agree that the original opening is great! They are mostly very nice prints also. I love these earlier episodes the most, and even though I saw all of them on Me-TV not long ago, and some of them twice on there, I love watching them all again! These earlier ones really have a quality to them, and they are tight in the half hour format, not so much filler as you found occasionally in the hour long episodes. Also, it's interesting to watch Marshal Dillon's looser, and more personal, interpretation of justice and how to mete it out in these early episodes. I am not familiar with the radio series, but I have heard that they are closer in tone to those, with lead writer John Meston, around for both.

I am watching them again on Encore even though it's the third and sometime fourth viewing for me after having watched them on MeTV two or three times. It's a show I never get tired of watching.

The print quality on Encore Westerns is much cleaner. I think the reason Encore Westerns didn't start out with the pilot and has skipped some episodes is that they are in the process of getting some of those prints cleaned up or waiting for digital versions.

The stories written by John Meston and the episodes directed and produced by Charles Marquis Warren are much leaner and grittier. I also find them to be tighter than the color episodes which often were padded. Also, the half-hour stories focused on the original theme of the show, whereas many of the color episodes featured a "family of the week" which I did not like as much.

However, even grittier than Meston's stories were some written by Sam Peckinpah. One of my favorites just aired this week--"How to Kill a Woman"--with Dillon confronting a gunfighter played by Pernell Roberts at a stagecoach station. (Dillon would confront Roberts playing another gunfighter in one of the color episodes.) This episode was rough with Roberts callously killing stagecoach passengers, including a woman. Not only was it written by Peckinpah, it was directed by one of my favorite TV directors, John Rich, who would go on to direct the early seasons of All in the Family. I've never seen a TV episode directed by John Rich which I didn't enjoy.

I saw another one recently in which two guys dragged Chester and nearly killed him: "Never Pester Chester." Dillon took off his badge and really beat the crap out of the really bad guy. It was great, only I wish the beating had lasted longer! :-) Also, I don't understand why they said the guys had to be let go because Chester lived--even though it wasn't murder, assault was a crime even in those days, wasn't it?

Robbie

>As for the Palance flick that closes out the day, I'd try to get it if you could.

The day turned out to be a big problem...I couldn't change disks because away at work (damn work!) So all I got was the 2 pre-codes early in the day. After returning home got Women's Prison and chose the Polanski film (Maltin gives it 4 stars) overnight.

Upon your recommendations, I watched the Palance film & loved it. I thought he did a great job in his dual roles and man that gal was gorgeous. It was a fun film, although incredibly unrealistic, even for the times. (MrTiki is a prison guard, hence his love for the genre-they're almost comedies to him)

And of COURSE I fell asleep in the last 2 minutes! gaah.gif Would anyone like to tell me what happened? I saw the part where the detective calls the brother & wife in on an anonymous tip. I know they must've been caught, but how?

Also, the images of San Quentin were great. Anyone know if the 3 story multiblock cel was real or a set?

Hi Robbie,

I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope that your energy improves soon! It's great to hear from you, I always appreciate reading your thoughts!

I agree with you about John Meston. He really had a handle on that series. I understand that he gave Sam Peckinpah his break, and his episodes are fairly stark. I understand that Sam Peckinpah is responsible for creating another series I love to watch, THE RIFLEMAN, and wrote quite a few of the earlier episodes. That is a really dark show, in most respects, noir on the range, I'd say!

Back to GUNSMOKE, I think that the half hour episodes are the BEST! And I've really taken a liking to Chester after not really caring for him before, but I'd only seen him in the hour long B/W episodes prior to last July, and I have to admit his character is not as well written there, nor are those shows quite as good as these first half hour seasons. They are really incredible! I just watched the episode where Kitty is taken hostage by some bank robbers, and Matt and Chester pull up to a shack where they are holed up, with Matt swearing he'll tear their throats out if they harm her. And they are essentially ambushing them, when they come out, Matt intends to just pick them off. When Chester questions this, Matt asks "What would you do?", and Chester responds "Shoot 'em"!! They essentially do this in another episode as well, where Matt is laying in wait for gunmen to return who have been killing families, including little children, and faking that the Indians were doing it. They just pick them off when they come back to their hideout. In another episode, the town including Doc and Chester!!...lynch two bullies who harassed and eventually lynched an idiot savant who had been hanging out in town; Matt knows what happened, and we do too (though it's not shown, only implied) but there isn't anything he can do about it. In the episode you referred to, "Never Pester Chester", Kitty asks Matt before he heads out to get the two guys who nearly killed Chester by dragging him behind a horse for miles...if he plans to arrest them or kill them, and Matt responds that he'll find out when the time comes. I love these older episodes!

I'm not sure what the actual law was back then, but it seems that on Gunsmoke, whenever someone hurt someone else but didn't kill them, they were usually let go scot free! But if the person died, they'd be hung most likely (unless they were a female). That seems wild, but maybe it's true, I don't know. I thought Matt's solution in that episode was perfect!

The interaction and relationships between the characters in the half hour episodes are the best, I think. They're tight and well-developed. I'm so glad I finally had a chance to see these! You also see the tight bonds each of them have, in one episode Matt basically puts himself in a situation to be shot dead to save Doc, and does the same in another one to save Chester. In one episode Chester feels like he let Matt down and Matt will hear none of it, telling him that he and Doc are the only two he can trust. Dodge seems much more wild, and a little darker, than in the later episodes. It seems to truly be Matt and Doc and Chester (and Kitty) against nearly everyone. Even local business men have it out for him, hiring gunmen to do him in in one episode. Funny thing I notice though is that Chester is never deputized, but seems to just be his assistant. Also whenever Matt has to take off to track down someone or check something out outside of Dodge, Chester usually accompanies him, which begs the question, what happens in Dodge if trouble broke out? In the later series, he deputized not only Festus, but others as well, sometimes 2 or 3 would be deputized, and Matt usually went off on his own (this I understand was to allow James Arness to not have to be tied up filming as much as he was in the earlier episodes), leaving the town in somewhat good hands. :) I do like some of the hour episodes but usually only when they focus on the main characters. I am not really interested in most of the other people they often focus on.

Another series I've been getting into lately is LAWMAN. It's kind of a Gunsmoke knock-off, in some ways, but I find it different enough to enjoy it. I love the lead character, and the "Kitty" actress is very talented and pretty.

I've been trying to catch RAWHIDE also, but just too much! I'm over-saturated now as it is between TCM flix, and all those series on Me-TV and Encore Westerns!

Take care and hope all is well!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings