Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edited Reach For the Sky, Sat Jan 21

clore

No, it's not some line from a western. REACH FOR THE SKY is an inspiring story based on Douglas Bader, a man who lost both of his legs in an airplane crash and still went on to become a pilot during WWII. It may well be the best role that Kenneth More ever had.

This is a film that I've not seen in fifty years but I remember it with great fondness and recommend it highly.

Edited by: clore on Jan 21, 2012 4:11 PM

You do that and you won't be disappointed. The director is Lewis Gilbert, who helmed ALFIE, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and THE SPY WHO LOVED ME.

When I was a kid, I swore that Kenneth More and Jack Hawkins were big stars. This was before the studios started leasing relatively recent films to TV, but there werre tons of British movies of recent vintage on local TV and it seemed to me as a nine-year-old that most of them starred More and Hawklins.

You do that and you won't be disappointed.

Well, guess what? I was disappointed. The film was at one point listed as having the UK running time of 135 minutes. It was about a half-hour short of that. The running time doesn't even match the U.S. timing of 123 minutes, at 104 minutes it matches the version seen in Germany.

While it wasn't full-length, it was full-screen, the print being 1.33:1 rather than the 1.78:1 ratio as seen in theaters.

It looks as if I'll have to buy the DVD to get the movie the way it's supposed to be seen - which is what TCM claims is its mission. I don't want to hear this usual excuses about what was supplied by the distributor - the same distributor managed to get the film out in the proper form on DVD.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Well, I liked the version I saw. Muriel Pavlow was certainly cute

Yes, a most attractive woman.

Do you get the Now Playing Guide? I was wondering which version of the film was listed there. I have a sked that I downloaded on December 1, 2011 and it cites the 135 minute edition.

Thanks for your response. That would have been the American release listed in the magazine, which may be shorter than the UK one, but at least it's the film as seen here in its initial release, and on TV in NYC as of its first showing on WABC on December 19, 1960.

If they could not get what was expected, they should have just substituted another title. Although since it's on DVD in the proper langth and format, how difficult could it be for the distributor to supply the right one?

I will give TCM credit for last night's ISLAND OF LOST SOULS. From what I'm reading on another forum, their print was better than the one issued by Criterion.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings