Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please suggest Books I might enjoy!

BunnyR

There are many out there.Books about the Moguls,the stars,directors.Bear Manor is a good company."Classic Images" newspaper (Muscatine,Iowa) also has many suggestions.Currently reading The Life of Kay Francis but have read Thalberg,Victor Fleming,Frank(Sinatra) Mitchum,Cagney,bogart,and many more.The One about director Fleming is the best Ive ever read its called Victor Fleming,am American Movie Master.

A few others to read. Some may be hard to find:

"All My Yesterdays" by Edward G. Robinson

"Print the Legend- The Life and Times of John Ford"

Also "Searching for John Ford' by Joseph McBride

"If They Move, Kill 'Em" The Life and Times of Sam Peckinpah"

"Howard Hawks- The Grey Fox of Hollywood"

"Growing Up in Hollywood" by Robert Parrish

I have now finished reading: Don't Mind If I Do by George Hamilton and William Stadiem. It is not a dish-dirt book. He tells of several actresses of the classic era. It is not an in-depth look at any person or studio or movie. Even his own movies are talked of only in the context of who he was bedding at the time and how its money affected his situation. I would recommend it solely because it is very personable and enjoyable to read.

I have just ordered the Victor Fleming book. I ordered 3 others but will not mention them because I hope I didn't order bad ones!

Does anyone know if there has been a book written about Hollywood star's children?

One of the books I mentioned below is "Growing Up in Hollywood" by Robert Parrish. He started in silent films, he did some "Our Gang" comedies, aiming his peashooter ay Chaplin in "City Lights". Worked with John Ford in "The Whole Town's Talking" and " The Informer". After the war where he again worked for Ford, he directed his first film "Cry Danger" with Dick Powell and others such as "The Wonderful Country", "Fire Down Below" . He won an Oscar as film editor for "Body and Soul".. So if you can find it, I think you will have a good read.Check Amazon Books...

Probably the best biography I have read is "On Sunset Boulevard" by Ed Sikov. It is about Billy Wilder and his life in the movies. He not only was an award winning director, he also wrote many of the scripts he directed. He actually was a writer, director, and producer. What I like about this book is the detail that it goes into about each of the movies he made. His movies are some of the best Classics that were ever made. Some Like It Hot, The Apartment, Stalag 17, Sabrina, Double Indemnity, and Irma La Douce are just some of his hits. It also gives you particularly interesting information about the artists in Germany before WWII. I loved this book and cherish the works of Billy Wilder.

Another good book is "The Dark Side Of Genius" about Alfred Hitchcock by Donald Spoto. In fact, I have read several biographies by Donald Spoto and would recommend any of them. The Hitchcock book also goes into all his movies in detail and like the Wilder biography, it deals with the whole movie making process.

I counted 44 biographies and books about the stars, directors, etc. in my possession right now. There are countless others that I have lost track of, but I enjoyed reading them all. These are just 2 that I think are outstanding. There are so many good ones out there. I hope you can take your time and enjoy them all.

One last thing I like to do is when I find a movie that is going to be on TCM, I go into their archives and pull up that movie. It will give you whatever they have on the making of that movie. The 'Notes" and "Articles" sections include a lot of details and trivia that you won't see anywhere else. When I read the article about Oklahoma, there was a nice little tidbit about Gloria Graham that I found interesting.

I hope these suggestions help you.

Hi!!! I'm new to TCM forums! My sister got me The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe and I adore it, if you're interested in her like before she was famous and her personal life outside of the studio then I recommend it, one of my all time favorites is Marlon Brando's songs my mother tought me I love it because I identify with his personal life and he is extremely honest, I bought that one after I saw The Godfather because I felt an impact by his performance there, Marilyn also has an "autobiography" sort of, the hard cover version is so beautiful it is a classic for me and feels like a collectors edition, that one is called My story with Ben Hecht.

MGM,

Thanks for the heads up on the new book about RKO. I know the author, Richard Jewell (he was my favorite teacher when I was in college) and have his previous book on the studio, *The RKO Story*.

Looking forward to reading this one!

REDHarlow,

There are other books on the studio history such as *Here's Looking at You, Kid* (The Warners Bros studio), one on Columbia Studio as well as Paramount and MGM. There is a new book devoted to the MGM backlot, *Hollywood's Greatest Backlot* that was written by a couple of studio archivists and is filled with lots of pictures and history.

Hi!! thanks!!! I recently got the Casablanca box set and I loved the making and it comes with cards of letters by the studio which were really interesting so I would love to read the ones you suggested!!!! Do you know any other interesting books involving Marilyn Monroe?

• 2 weeks later...

Dale,

You suggested the Hollywoods Greatest Backlot last year and my son got it for my birthday. You were right it is a terrific read and I just got "Victor Fleming An American Movie Master" and almost finished reading it. An A+ Bio........

Roy

Roy,

Glad you enjoyed both books. Bet the MGM backlot book brought back lots of memories for you!

Other books you might enjoy are the ones by John Bengston on Los Angeles locations used in Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd silents.

Conversations with Wilder by Cameron Crowe is by far the best film book I have ever read. Aside from giving you an outstanding background on the life and films of Billy Wilder, it will also give you great insight as to how one master (Wilder) and one very talented filmmaker (Crowe) view movies. I read the book as I was starting college, and it permanently changed the way I view films.

Also, though I haven't read the book, I will also praise Richard Jewell, the author of the new book on RKO. He was a professor of mine in college, and is perhaps the most knowledgeable individual on film history that I have ever met.

> He was a professor of mine in college, and is perhaps the most knowledgeable individual on film history that I have ever met.

EveryOscar,

As one of his former students (and biggest boosters), can I ask, when were you at SC?

People Will Talk is one of my favorite films. I first saw it when I was young. There were actually two films starring Jeanne Crain: People Will Talk and Pinky. I saw both probably in the late 50's or early 60's on TV. Then I didn't hear or see anything about either one for years until FMC started showing them about 4 yrs. ago. They were about controversial subjects - maybe that is why they weren't shown on TV for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend *People Wll Talk *by John Kobal.

I just got this book in the mail on Saturday and it's one of the best movie books I've read in some time. This author has interviewed many of the greats, from the 1920s through the 1950s: people like Swanson, Gish, Brooks, Mae West, Hepburn, Dunne, Stanwyck, Milestone, Crawford, Hurrell, McCrea... a total of 41 people in all! The book is laid out in interview format (questions/answers), so the personalities of the stars come through. Kobal's comments are intelligent and incisive. I don't know if it is still in print - I got it through amazon. I second and third moviesgr8's suggestion!

Archived