Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

TCM CANADA - WHAT GIVES? . . . AGAIN!

> {quote:title=hulot wrote:}{quote}Again the Canadian blackouts (borderline censorship) continues. Next weeks Milos Forman film "loves of a blonde" is being replaced in Canada

Canadians will see "A Man and a Woman" next Sunday/Monday night at 2:15 a.m.

TCM has to substitute when they don't have the film rights for Canada.

They try to get both Canadian and US film rights for every film they air but it's not always possible.

So who knows? There are a lot of TV channels in Canada - English and French - that air movies and one of those could have the Canadian broadcast rights to that Forman film???

Canadian channels broadcast to Canadians and so only have to worry about rights in Canada.

They needn't worry about arranging for the American rights too.

TCM broadcasts to Canada and the US, and so has to get the rights for both countries.

They do the best they can, but it not always possible and so substitutions have to be made.

Oddly enough TCM Canada has replaced Murder, The Ring, and Foreign Correspondent with other Hitchcock movies. It's odd, since there can't be many Canadian channels that show the first two movies, while it's odd FC is always being pre-empted while the big Hitchcock movies never have any trouble being shown.

I've never seen a blackout on TCM Canada.

However, there are blackouts on TCM HD. I assume that is the American feed, and no substitutions are made. The substituted films do show on the TCM Canada standard definition feed though.

Sounds like rights business... Some other entity in Canadaland is probably airing the films.

On September 1, Canucks saw "Suspicion" instead of "Murder."

On September 8, denizens of the Great White North saw again "Suspicion" instead of "Foreign Correspondent" at 8:00 p.m.

And "The Monster" (1925) intead of "The Ring" at 12:45 a.m. Est.

The substitutions are on the Canadian monthly schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/canada/monthly.html

So at least you can check beforehand, eh...

As far as I know, "I Confess" is on the Canadian schedule.

The movie is one of Madeleine Stowe's choices Wednesday night.

And I've seen it many times before. "I Confess" was often aired by TVOntario's "Saturday Night at the Movies."

("SNAM" had its last show recently after almost 40 years...)

Here are two examples:

http://snam.tvo.org/snam-show/162016/lost-causes--new

http://snam.tvo.org/snam-show/162044/ethics-in-the-confessional

Montgomery Clift plays a Canadian soldier turned priest.

Karl Malden plays a French-Canadian policeman.

Brian Aherne is the English-Canadian crown attorney (prosecutor)...

Anne Baxter is the love interest.

And O.E. Hasse plays the bad guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.E._Hasse

(Hasse was also in another Clift flick, "The Big Lift.")

Much filming done in Quebec City...

Interesting film also for glimpse of social history of old Quebec with the Anglo crown attorney and the French-Canadian policeman.

In the past, English-Canadians in Quebec were at the top of society and were in roles such as judges, crown attorneys, senior bureaucrats, business CEOs, etc.

French-Canadians were basically second-class citizens and treated as such by the English-Canadians in the province.

That all changed starting in the 1950s and 1960s.

Today I doubt you could find one crown attorney in all of Quebec who sounds like Aherne...

I've visited Quebec City in the past and have walked up and down the "Breakneck Steps" (L'Escalier Casse-Cou) at the top of which Hitchcock does his cameo in "I Confess."

The steps are a major tourist attraction of that beautiful city.

Anyway, you can view stills from the Quebec City filming along with modern photos of where the filming was done (the stairs look different today than in 1953):

http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Location_trip_to_Quebec,_Summer_2002

Yes this is a Pain in @#s! ...i wanted to watch Notorious tonight. but no, cant in Canada. We will give you guys Rob Ford and you give us the movies? Deal?

Just a guess,but I think the Canadian rights issue is what keeps Laurel & Hardy from becoming Star(s) of the Month on TCM. Many of their films from the 1930s, while released through MGM, were Hal Roach Productions-- and for some reason those are among the films that cannot be shown in Canada.

Thoughts?

Sorry, finance, it looks like I replied to you, but I meant to reply to the original post(er). I welcome everyone's thoughts about this. Thanks.

Edited by: TopBilled on Mar 24, 2014 9:44 AM

I assume that you don't mean Roach films can't be shown in Canada, just that TCM can't show them? If it is that Roach films have some major copyright problem in Canada I 'd be interested to know the details.

Most Canadian versions of US cable services either have to substitute Canadian content to meet that legal requirement or have to substitute things just because someone else in Canada owns the rights.

>I assume that you don't mean Roach films can't be shown in Canada, just that TCM can't show them? If it is that Roach films have some major copyright problem in Canada I 'd be interested to know the details.

ginnyfan,

It's usually the case of TCM not having the Canadian broadcast rights because another network, usually Canadian, already has the rights.

The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is *Topper*. For some reason, the Canadian broadcast rights are really tangled and the rights holder is unknown.

TCM has been trying to untangle that particular mess and find out who owns the Canadian rights in hopes that one day they can lease the film.

But, so far, no luck.

Speaking of Canada, apparently the sport of basketball has been really taking hold among schoolkids in the Toronto area. I just read that a tremendous number of players in this year's NCAA college basketball tournament hail from the Toronto area. Several years ago, the only basketball player of note who was a Canadian was Steve Nash.

>I assume that you don't mean Roach films can't be shown in Canada, just that TCM can't show them?

Yes, that is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. My earlier post had 'timed out' so I was unable to go back and edit it.

Laurel & Hardy have never been chosen for SOTM, and I think it is because an alternate SOTM would have to be selected for Canada. Just a guess...

>Laurel & Hardy have never been chosen for SOTM, and I think it is because an alternate SOTM would have to be selected for Canada. Just a guess...

Didn't that happen a few years ago when Thelma Todd was Star of the Month - so many of her films are Roach titles that for Canada they substituted Joan Blondell that day in place of Thelma Todd. So, they could do that again if Laurel & Hardy were to be chosen as Stars of the Month.

Howdy L,

There was an entire thread on this issue almost a year ago:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169099&start=0&tstart=-1

This from the late Kyle:

``The owners of the Hal Roach library only have the U. S. broadcast rights to those films. Thus TCM only has the right to air them in the United States.

This issue came up at a TCM Staff discussion at the very first TCM Classic Film Festival when an attendee from Canada asked if he was ever going to be able to see Topper Takes A Trip on his home television. He was told that the channel has spent a considerable amount of time, energy and resources trying to track down who controls the Canadian television rights to the Hal Roach Library. All to no avail. No one knows.

And without a valid and legal contract to show the Hal Roach shorts and feature films in Canada, TCM has no choice but to preempt them from the Canadian feed.``

The thread creator mentioned Richard W. Bann:

``Richard W. Bann: ?The rights you asked about for Canada are controlled by Universal the last time I had reason to check, which was when we were producing the Laurel & Hardy DVD for Vivendi (in the Western Hemisphere) a couple years back. I am surprised that no one at TCM has ever contacted me about exploiting their license in the Hal Roach library. My advice to TCM would be to contact me about sublicensing rights from Universal, and I think my friends at Sonar (Qintex is not Sonar) might help with this, and perhaps our rights holders in the Eastern Hemisphere might as well."

The Hal Roach site states that RHI Entertainment (Sonar, see above) owns the rights for North America:

http://hal-roach.com/hrl.html

Maybe the Canadian rights are too expensive... Who knows...

I`m sure TCM would get the rights if they could...

All I know is that I grew up watching the Little Rascals and Laurel & Hardy on Canadian TV, so somebody had the Canadian rights (guess the Canadian company named Hal Roach Studios:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Roach_Studios) back in the day...

>Didn't that happen a few years ago when Thelma Todd was Star of the Month - so many of her films are Roach titles that for Canada they substituted Joan Blondell that day in place of Thelma Todd. So, they could do that again if Laurel & Hardy were to be chosen as Stars of the Month.

Yes, they did. It may be easier to reschedule a day for SUTS than an entire month-long retrospective (four or five nights). And remember that publicity materials would have to be different, since the SOTM is usually featured on the cover of Now Playing. With SUTS, they could still promote the series the same way in both Canada and the U.S., with Canadians still getting 30 out of 31 of the days publicized.

Speaking of Joan Blondell, she wound up being an actual SUTS pick later-- which meant Canadians had a double dose of her.

If Laurel & Hardy were chosen as SOTM (in the U.S.), then who would be a suitable alternative for Canadians-- Wheeler & Woolsey?

Canadians have been playing basketball for a long time, but it`s just only recently that US scouts have noticed them...

Canadian basketball guru Wayne Parrish stated:

``Parrish credits this recent development of top Canadian talent to improvements in basketball training and coaching certification programs across the country. As well, young Canadian players now have more opportunities to be seen by talent scouts, he said.``

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/ncaa-march-madness-tips-off-with-canadians-in-starring-roles-1.1737792#ixzz2xGHsJUUP

I`m assuming the talent scouts mentioned above are from US colleges and that they then recruit the kids to attend a US college on an athletic scholarship.

There are also private companies in Canada like this one that are recruiting young Canadians (getting them athletic scholarships to US schools) who end up playing in the NCAA:

http://www.universityprospects.com/

There are athletic scholarships at Canadian colleges and universities, but young athletes probably have a better chance of getting recruited for professional sports, excluding hockey, by going to the US and through the NCAA, than by going through the Canadian post-secondary system.

In Canada, the focus of a college and university education is still pretty much on getting an education with sports as an hobby you do for fun and exercise, etc.

But that is changing and there are people who want things to be more like they are in the US, with athletics being taken more seriously at the post-secondary level, as much as academics, anyway.

Hockey in Canada is a different matter.

The NHL teams maintain farm teams in Canada that basically groom players from a young age.

Edited by: RMeingast on Mar 28, 2014 9:14 AM

The biggest reason for the greater interest among kids in the Toronto area is the birth of the Toronto Raptors in 1995.

RM,

Thanks for posting that old exchange. I had forgotten it was *Topper Takes a Holiday* and not the film that kicked off that series, *Topper* that was in limbo, broadcast rights wise in Canada.

I believe that the poster who posted about Robert Bann heard from TCMProgrammer that the rights for Laurel and Hardy films but I can't remember what the outcome was.

I'm guessing that the Robert Bann connection didn't pan out as Laurel and Hardy movies are still preempted in Canada.

• Like 1