Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Get REAL, censors!

Sepiatone

I just posted a reply to the "Alec Baldwin" thread where I made referrence to Balwin's work in "30 Rock" by saying he got the "pompous azz" thing down to an art. Only I didn't SPELL it with two "Z's". And the autocensor asterisked it out!

Now, there IS a difference between calling someone a "pompous a--"(like the self-censor?) and saying someone HAS a "pondorous a--". The former is NOT a profanity. The latter IS.

Got it?

Sepiatone

> Now, there IS a difference between calling someone a "pompous a--"(like the self-censor?) and saying someone HAS a "pondorous a--".

I think the word you want for the latter is [steatopygous|http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/steatopygous]. :-)

You just have to understand why the auto censor exists. This is to free staff from having to patrol the message boards and free them up for more important things such as making sure that all of the commentary spoken by Osborne and Mankiewicz is accurate, that all prints are suitable for airing and in the proper length and aspect ratio.

Seriously, this is nothing compared to what I've seen on some other movie boards. For a while on the IMDb boards, you could not refer to the 1982 Clint Eastwood film HONKYTONK MAN without getting censored, nor could you get away with any reference to Soderbergh's 1999 film THE LIMEY without the title being censored.

Next time try using two dollar signs when you want to use that word.

DAMN! Now ya see, this is yet ANOTHER website I've run into that allow those highfalutin Brits to say THAT, and yet denies us good ol' 'Mericans to say BASICALLY the same word!!!

(...it JUST ain't fair, I tells ya!!!) X-(

;)

> {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Wait a minute, let me try somethin' here....

>

> Who around here likes that old WWII British movie, *The Dam Busters*?

>

> (...okay, now lets see what happens!) ;)

Now try getting away with citing the name of the dog in THE DAM BUSTERS.

Whoa! Now clore, I have to admit it's been a few years since I've watched that film, and so I had to use Google to find what that dog's name was.

And soooo, now that my memory has been refreshed, I gotta ask ya somethin' here...

ARE YOU TRYIN' TO GET ME IN TROUBLE HERE OR SOMETHIN'???? :0

:^0 ;)

Interesting. So they're makin' a remake of it, huh?! I'm gong to guess it'll be a British production, because I can't see anyone in Hollywood thinking an American audience would be overwhelmingly interested in a WWII movie, especially if as the originial does, it would entail a lot of scientific-based dialogue.

I say that only because as I recall the film *Fat Man and Little Boy* (1989) pretty much flopped at the boxoffice, and its storyline is somewhat similar.

(...and btw...IMDb stated that in the American released version of *The Dam Busters*, the dog's name had been dubbed over to "Trigger"...I suppose in hopes of bring in the Roy Rogers fans) ;)

I believe that I read that Peter Jackson will be producing the remake. It's said that the footage of the aircraft was one of the inspriations for the attack on the Death Star in the first STAR WARS film. With Jackson aboard, I'm sure this will turn out to be a CGI-fest and sort of his expansion on the original just as 30 SECONDS OVER TOKYO inspired some of PEARL HARBOR.

I recently watched a NOVA documentary on PBS about the British "Dambusters" mission during WWII. This program detailed a Canadian and British crew of engineers and aviators that sought to recreate the challenge "from scratch" without any notes or details about how the original "Dambusters" accomplished the task.

The two-hour program is called "Bombing Hitler's Dams" and is available for viewing on the PBS website -

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/bombing-hitler-dams.html

bombing-hitler-dams-vi.jpg

A few poker sites I use have spaces for "player chat" that employs an autocensor. Many of the members found that if you space each letter in a profanity, it gets by. I'd try it here, but I really DON'T wish to offend anybody just to prove a point. Some one else may feel free to...

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}A few poker sites I use have spaces for "player chat" that employs an autocensor. Many of the members found that if you space each letter in a profanity, it gets by. I'd try it here, but I really DON'T wish to offend anybody just to prove a point. Some one else may feel free to...

> Sepiatone

Well Sepia ol' buddy, I've done MY bit in this regard ALREADY!!! I mean, I attempted "dam", "damn" AND "arse"...though I admit I chickened out on clore's suggestion, and for good reason I might add!

(...and so, somebody ELSE will have to take over for me here, dude!!!) ;)

Years ago I was on a political message board that had an automatic censor program in it. A couple of dozen "curse" words, after being typed into a message, would show up as strings of asterisks of appropriate length so that often the would could be figured out.

I was having an argument with an anti-censorship guys, and my position was that there is no need for the real curse words to appear in a modern civilized intellectual message board message.

He got mad at me and called me bad names, which showed up as asterisks.

So, I played a trick on him. I sent him a long message that went like this:

You ****, you should be ***** and ***** where you belong. You are probably a flaming **** and a *** **** ****** too. Your mother was a *** *** ***** ***** and your father is probably in **** ********.

The guy got so mad, he almost had a heart attack.

My trick was: The asterisks stood for nothing. Their lengths were of no significance. They were just strings of asterisks. But the guy made up his own curse words to try to match my asterisk chains, while in reality my message was a joke and the asterisks were only asterisks and meant nothing at all in the way of curse words.

It's catching, Sepiatone.

Yesterday on one radio station (and it was the second time, so my thinking I misheard the first time was in error) the song 'Legs' by ZZ Top was played and...you know the word...the radio station scrambled the OH MY DOG IF THEY PLAY THIS WORD THAT IS ALLOWED ON TELEVISION THE RADIO AUDIENCE WILL MELT 'S' word.

THEN, on the same day, on a different radio station, that OH MY DOG IF THEY PLAY THIS WORD THAT IS ALLOWED ON TELEVISION THE RADIO AUDIENCE WILL MELT 'S' word was scrambled AGAIN in another song whose title I don't recall.

What is going on? Facebook is getting filthier by the minute, and suddenly radio stations are censoring the OH MY DOG IF THEY PLAY THIS WORD THAT IS ALLOWED ON TELEVISION THE RADIO AUDIENCE WILL MELT 'S' word?

As the Wicked Witch bemoaned: *oh what a world.*

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings