Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yay! In Like Flint! Hope I like it now as much as I did.

slaytonf

Well, if nothing else, we get to see Lee J. Cobb in drag.

The original holds up much better in my opinion, this one was never as good anyway but it's still better than any Matt Helm movie except the first one.

The humor in the first Flint film was a bit more subtle as I recall. The second one goes a bit more for slapstick but then, Gordon Douglas got his start doing "Our Gang" and Laurel and Hardy films.

Back when they were new, one problem that the spy spoof genre had was that they were parodies of Bond films and it didn't take Bond long to start spoofing itself. GOLDFINGER was only the third film but it was considerably lighter than the two that came before it.

More recently we had Austin Powers which was more a send-up of Flint and Helm than the Bond films, right down to the ring tone of the phone.

> {quote:title=JefCostello wrote:}{quote}

> Is the title of this film supposed to be a funny pun on Errol Flynn?

>

> He was accused of rape and that's where the saying "In Like Flynn" came from. This title sounds very similar and is inappropriate when you think about its context.

>

When the film was released, James Coburn made his objection to the title become quite known, even voicing it on the Tonight Show. I don't know if that's why he refused to do a planned third film in the series, but he did claim to have tried to talk Fox out of using the title out of his own respect for Flynn.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings