Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Programing article

Thanks for posting this link. I wondered about this comment:

"TCM has a loyal following — some 86 million homes".

I assume that most of these homes don't have a say about getting TCM or NOT. i.e. TCM is part of an extended package. Just because someone gets this extended package doesn't make them a loyal fan of TCM anymore than they are a loyal fan of Bravo or the Food network.

Since TCM has no rating info that I'm aware of, I really wonder how anyone can determine how many loyal fans TCM really has. I know, I'm one but other than people I meet here, I rarely meeting anyone else that is. (loyal to me would be watching the station at least 25% of the time one watches TV).

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jan 29, 2012 3:29 PM

I had to laugh when 2 of the top 5 movies Tabesh says are most popular--Singin' in the Rain & North By Northwest. Those 2 have to be the most complained about, as far as being shown too much. I even told one of the TCM people I met on the cruise that I could not believe they were showing it, since it's so over exposed. She walked away from me.

Someone help me with my math, please.

If TCM is in 86 million homes, that's 86 million connections.

A reliable source on this board, a couple of years ago, found a document that says TCM gets .52? fee per month from the cable and sat companies for every connection.

Ok, so doesn't .52? times 86 million total out to be $44,720,000 income per month from the cable and sat companies?

Is that a good corporate income or not? I don't know.

If these numbers are true, then I think TCM would have a voice in the various cable providers moving TCM to a higher cost programming tier that so many viewers complain about in these various posts. I TCM is moved to a higher cost programming tier, their cut of the "pie" should be higher and they should have an option of accepting the 'bigger piece' or remaining in the basic package and accepting their minimum cut.

I agree. About ten to 12 years ago, I had to pay ten dollars extra per month to Directv to receive TCM, since it was not on their basic service. So my sat bill went from $24 a month to $34 a month, just so I could receive TCM.

The Directv rate has since gone up to $63 a month for my service, and it might jump up another $3 later this year.

It is a shame if TCM is receiving only .52? out of my $63 dollars a month.

Wow, I wish my cable bill was only $63 or even $66 for that matter. I've been planning on changing and/or dropping some channels. I have a question that I hope you would answer for me. My building is wired for DirecTV and I'm considering switching. My question is, Do you have a DVR box? and also, Can you record what you record on your DVR box to a DVD or VHS recorder? The reason I ask is, I used to have Century Links Prism and at first I was able to record some movie channels and not record others. They kept increasing the number of channel I wasn't able to record to my DVD recorder and when Fox Movie Channel wasn't able to copy, I cancelled. What's the case with DirecTV if you know, or is it something that differs from place to place?

I don't have a DVR,

I have a very old Hughes satellite box with my original Directv service, from about 12 years ago. I'm able to record anything off of Directv on my VCR and my DVD recorder.

http://sat-receiver-world.com/media/images/digsat_hughes_hird-e11_thb.jpg

Edited by: FredCDobbs on Jan 29, 2012 5:26 PM

> My question is, Do you have a DVR box? and also, Can you record what you record on your DVR box to a DVD or VHS recorder?

Like FredC, we have DirecTV (have had for 15 years now). We have a DVR and have no problem recording from the DVR to DVDs.

One of the great things about having DirecTV is that if I forget to set up the DVR, I can do so remotely through their website.

Comes in very handy if I read a post and see that someone has recommended a movie and I didn't set the DVR.

Fred,

The per subscriber monthly fee for TCM was $0.26 back in 2009.

Thanks for posting a clear version of that table.

I don't use a DVR because it is only a temporary storage device. My time-shifting devices are DVD Recorders and HDD/DVD Recorders. I'm still watching for the first time material I originally recorded on videotape back in the 1980s and 1990s. In 2007 I transferred selected portions (5,200 titles) of my twenty year accumulation of home-recorded videotapes to DVDs. My archive now has more than 11,000 home-recorded DVDs.

Edited by: talkietime on Jan 29, 2012 4:50 PM

> Hmm... maybe my .52 cents number is wrong. Maybe it is .26 cents

FredC,

I'm pretty sure it's .26 cents that was in that article that you originally referred to.

I think these kinds of companies must hire con men right out of prison to do their sales pitches over the telephone.

Of course they do. Cablevision and FIOS are two of the biggest crooks in NY, thanks to their payola to the crooked politicians in NY.

After Cablevision stole TEN of my analog channels in a strong arm move to force me to digital, and knowing full well that FIOS was as crooked as Cablevision, I switched to FIOS. They gave me a few 'discounts' the first two years, and now my bill is $165.+

Note: I had Cablevision for 20 years!

Shortly thereafter, a Cablevision rep ambushed me outside my home and said he had 'such a deal' for me, because Cablevision wanted me back. After verifying his credentials, I let him in. I had ALMOST (he promised me the moon, i.e., same as what I had from FIOS and then some for less $$) signed on the dotted line when he blew it. He told me he wanted a month's payment IN ADVANCE. After I told him in detail just what I thought of the sleazy owner of Rainbow who owned the NY Knicks who STOLE my TEN analog channels, he wanted me TO PAY in advance. When I was about to rip up the contract, he called his manager and - magic! - I no longer had to pay in advance. Too late, I kicked him out of my house.

On to FIOS the crooks, whose customer service was developed in Germany in 1939 and whose answer tree is designed to make people slit their wrists while waiting. They offer a DVR to new customers, IF those new customers keep phone, internet and tv their entire lives or the life of FIOS, I forget which. I recently tried to upgrade or downgrade a service, I forget which, and was told I could do that, BUT I had to then change to DIGITAL phone service, which would put me on a router for the phone and a battery backup and tough rocks if the power was out for longer than 8 hours. But hey, I was told by Sally Pleasant, everyone has a cell phone, right? Wrong, sweetheart, I don't, except for emergencies, so keep your upgrade or whatever it was I was trying to do.

So those who think cable company bundling prices are the bee's knees can keep writing until they convince someone other than me, I will stand by my facts that the menu system, if Congress wasn't crooked and in the pockets of cable companies, could work. But hey, if the American people like their bundling and are ready, able and willing to overpay, dog bless them.

aimalac, I won't pay the crooks at FIOS more money for a DVR box. If I want to see it, I see it ON DEMAND. Cablevision charges for ON DEMAND, so I won't switch to them. I couldn't copy to a DVD from FIOS, so I gave up trying. It was deliberate on the part of FIOS (and Century Links Prism, obviously, since they are all in on the price fixing and lousy service together), bet on it. They are trying to force everyone to a DVR.

I can't speak to DirecTV, but my guess is that they are as crooked as FIOS and Cablevision, and they have weather issues to boot. Good luck in whatever you choose. Remember, they are all out for the money and the customer is NOT their priority.

> lz, about a year or two ago, I started receiving telephone sales calls from Directv, trying to talk me into getting a new tuner with a DVR in it. They said it would be totally FREE

FredC,

We have no complaints about our service with DirecTV. Their latest software update is not the greatest but the service we get from them as well as the customer service has been first rate. The fact that we have been with them for so long is a testament to the service we receive. Prior to them we had cable and we were very unsatisfied with the service from our cable provider.

> I think these kinds of companies must hire con men right out of prison to do their sales pitches over the telephone.

We've taken advantage of some of the offers we've received from Direct over the years and we've been happy with their customer service.

*"If TCM is in 86 million homes, that's 86 million connections."* - FCD

I took note of that claim in the article too. After reading the entire piece, I noticed more than one error or mis-statement about TCM.

The article mentioned a certain programming event that supposedly took place this month along with the Jack Cardiff tribute. But no "Immigrant Experience" event happened in January.

As to that "86 Million" number, I believe that is actually the total number of homes that have "access" to TCM through a cable system or Satellite set-up. TCM has used a similar number in its promotional materials but the channel usually stops short of claiming that it has that many viewers or "subscribers" in a given month. (I've also read that there are only about 50 million cable households in the U.S. so a combined cable/satellite/DSL-line TV total of 86 million seems very high.)

As to the "rate card" printed in this thread, it is possible those prices are the TV equivilent of a hotel's "rack rate" (the price of a room rental on the card posted in one's hotel room.) The fees collected or forwarded to TCM may be much different than .26/month per household. There may be discounts for bundling with other Turner channels that would lower the cost of all Turner channels to a particular system. I wouldn't be surprised if television channels are like new cars and the "sticker price" is not what one actually pays.

While that 26 cents number is a good reference for the cost of the channel, I wouldn't take the 86 million number as representative of the actual number of TCM subscribers or viewers.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks for that information. I did a little research and I turned this up:

51% of US households have cable TV, 26% - satellite = TOTAL 77%

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/itfacts/51-of-us-households-have-cable-tv-26-satellite/9778?tag=untagged

Number of households in the US, as of 2010: 117,538,000.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0059.pdf

--------------------------------

I can't believe that 77% of all households have cable/sat services.

That would include all the people living alone, and all the millions of poor people who don't have cable. That's why the broadcast channels still have the largest audiences, because so many people do NOT have cable/sat.

I'm not sure how many of any of these numbers are reliable.

You do realize that many apartment complexes, and the landlords of some other buildings with more than one living unit, offer FREE basic cable to their tenants? Anything beyond that...premium services, extended basic cable, etc...the tenant would provide.

I've seen the $.26 figure in several places too. I understand it's an average and it can vary depending what they can negotiate with individual cable systems, but I doubt it would be by more than a few cents either way.

While 80 million subscribers times about a quarter a month might sound like a lot of money, in the world of cable television, it really isn't. The operating costs are huge. Regardless, of the amount, it doesn't mean any more than saying that McDonalds sold ten billion hamburgers at a buck each. Without knowing all its expenses and what its parent company expects as a return on its investment any number is meaningless.

People tend to forget that TCM can't spend every cent it brings in. Like any division of Time-Warner, TCM has a budget to work within regardless of how much money it takes in. Probably what keeps commercials off of TCM is that it runs a tight financial operation and Time-Warner can make a decent profit from it.

How much are those apartments?

The last I paid for an apartment, was a whole house in the Sunset Dist. of San Francisco, and that was $325 a month, in the mid-1970s. Back then, cable bills were about $4.95 a month, and cable had about 15 channels. :)

I think those houses rent for about $4,000 a month now.

Others have posted that TCM didn't participated in the Nielsen rating system.

You say 'the info is there'. Can you post a link to this 'info'? I would be interested to know the average number of hours per month, households in the USA are watching TCM based on the Nielsen ratings (estimates).

*"You say 'the info is there'. Can you post a link to this 'info'? I would be interested to know the average number of hours per month, households in the USA are watching TCM based on the Nielsen ratings (estimates)."* - JJG

There is no published data that I am aware of. Only channels that pay to be part of the Nielsen Service have their data "officially" recorded, published and delivered to them. And TCM does not subscribe to the Nielsen Service.

What I think 'clore" meant was that any Nielsen households that watched TCM would have that viewership noted by the "Nielsen Box" installed in their homes or in the diaries they fill out. Nielsen could access that information if need be.

I've been told that TCM can make a special request for some selective "ratings information" about the channel and its programming from the ratings service. I believe, in the past, it has asked Nielsen for "total viewer" numbers for some of the TCM Original Productions shown on the channel. Or it could request it if it wanted to know that info. But I believe it is requested VERY rarely, if at all.

I do think it would be interesting to learn how TCM judges and evaluates some of its programming choices. There must be more to it than just reading the feedback the channel receives in these Message Boards. I do know the staff does take notice of what is written in here and at the Classic Film Union, the channel's Facebook page and the TCM Twitter account, etc. But intuition, gut instinct and a Ouija Board can only go so far.

If I make it to the 2012 Classic Film Festival and TCM hosts a "Meet The Staff" panel again, I may just ask that question.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> I started receiving telephone sales calls from Directv, trying to talk me into getting a new tuner with a DVR in it. They said it would be totally FREE.

I believe it is a situation which may or may not cost depending on your actions.

DirecTV has often offered to upgrade my esso's satellite equipment. The main condition is that it requires a new two-year contract. If you remain with the system for that length of time then there is no cost. If you decide to change providers before the end of that time then you will have to pay an early-termination-fee.

A parallel condition is that they are adding interactive services which you can not access with older equipment and for which they can not collect fees if you can not use them. If you do not use them with the new equipment there is no added cost. If you do use them you can often see your monthly bill double.

In either circumstance they are not charging you for the new equipment they are simply making it easy for you to owe them more.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> There is no published data that I am aware of. Only channels that pay to be part of the Nielsen Service have their data "officially" recorded, published and delivered to them. And TCM does not subscribe to the Nielsen Service.

My esso was a "Nielsen family" for eight days. It must have disappointed them that so much time was spent on TCM.

Cable and satellite companies can also provide data. In my cable contract was an option to opt-out of my viewing data being collected. DirecTV has a similar option. There you have the option to have no data capture and you have the option for the data to be captured anonymously and you have the option for the data to be matched to your demographics.

I have been led to believe that such data is used internally for making decisions on whether to drop channels or change their tier and are not codified in such a way as to be attractive to buyers or users of such information for ratings purposes.