Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jane Eyre Hermann score butchered 01-30-12

I am a professional musician and have this movie on VHS and I can tell you that what is playing now as the score is NOT the Hermann score. Whatever happened, there is "filler" music on top of the Hermann score. The Hermann score was brilliant in itself. Someone or something has added the "filler" which has just butchered the score completely. The Hermann score was absolutely perfect for this film, why in the name of heaven was the additional music added. It ruins the whole movie.

I just shut the tv off and am playing my VHS tape of Jane Eyre with ONLY the Hermann score and enjoying it immensely. Anybody else recognize this as well??? Just awful TCM. Shame on you.

I'm sure it was not TCM that screwed with the music. Why the distributor would, I can only guess. Perhaps a rights issue? Well, thanks for the info. I have recorded it, but not watched it yet. If we're lucky, maybe someone who knows for certain what's up with that will let us know.

To be honest, I didn't notice. The only place I'd seen the movie was on AMC years ago, and each time the picture and sound was just horrific , not to mention edited to fit their time slot. So I was too busy enjoying the beautiful uncut picture to be noticing any discrepancies with the score. I'm thrilled that TCM finally got their hands on *Jane Eyre* after six-plus years of my begging for it. Thanks, TCM! :-)

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}I'm sure it was not TCM that screwed with the music. Why the distributor would, I can only guess. Perhaps a rights issue? Well, thanks for the info. I have recorded it, but not watched it yet. If we're lucky, maybe someone who knows for certain what's up with that will let us know.

I'd agree that it's not the fault of TCM. I did notice that something was "off" with the score tonight, but not having the film on DVD or a copy of the soundtrack, there was nothing for me to compare. It's hard for a non-musician to describe, it's just that parts of it did not sound like Herrmann.

I don't have many film scores on LP or CD, but the bulk of my collection are scores composed by Herrmann. The first one that I ever bought was a collection of Herrmann scores from Hitchcock films.

h3. TCM - Demand your money back for these rights !

>>smileys wrote:

>Maybe the version originally shown in theaters had the other music too?

Not so. The sound on this presentation was an abomination. I have the recording of Herrmann's soundtrack, and the additional oboe/violin ditzy melodies, and other orchestrations drown out the some of dialog! Did you hear the scene with Blanche singing? In the scene at one point, there are two soprano voices singing different songs!! EXCUSE ME! Blanche has a solo in that scene. It was like bad stock soundtrack, if such a thing exists. there is even some instances of sound effects added, but the effect detracts rather than draw the viewer into the story.

It is an add-on, and at times it felt like I was watching a "bin bargain" copy! The sound was so disappointing, and I do not fault TCM, but the supplier of their print!

Trust me, folks, this is not the Bernard Herrmann score. I too have the tape, and that release from the 1944 theatrical release..

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 31, 2012 12:20 AM

*...there are two soprano voices...* - cl

That I did notice. I just dragged out my old VCR tape of the AMC broadcast, and amongst the snaps, crackles, and pops, only one Blanche singing. Weird. Why would the distributor make sure they had a great picture but fool around with the soundtrack?

I turned on the film about midway and I noticed immediately something was very wrong. The underscore was just plain weird and interefered with the scene. Anyone who knows Herrmann could tell it was wrong. Hopefully, the next time they show the film it will not have this messy background score.

I noticed the dialog was hard to decipher in a few scenes, but I havent seen the film in years, so I wasnt aware of the score tampering. Weird. Despite RO touting Jane being a TCM premiere, I still say I saw it years ago on TCM..........

> {quote:title=smileys wrote:}{quote}So I was too busy enjoying the beautiful uncut picture to be noticing any discrepancies with the score. I'm thrilled that TCM finally got their hands on *Jane Eyre* after six-plus years of my begging for it. Thanks, TCM! :-)

I'm with you...although I didn't think the picture quality was that great, it's soitanly better than the one I tried to watch on u-yay ube-tay some months ago. There probably isn't a really good, clean print of this thing out there anywhere...At least until someone whips out the Q-Tips and Windex or does whatever the hell it is you do to clean old film stock. (Shop Vac? Soak it in Simple Green for an hour?)

In nearly any case I'd rather be able to see a film period, even if there are issues with the sound, print quality , etc. which I realize drives something of a wedge between me and some of the Film Freak Purists out there, and I get where you all come from- I really do. (If it makes you feel better, I'm rabidly ANTI "edited for content or to fit the slot alotted" and Pan-and-scan altogether.

In ending I'd like to say that I think it is a testement to YE STAR QUALITY of FONTAINE and ORSON WELLES in all his rich-voiced, shadow-drenched-jowled, moody S.O.B, pre-350 pound glory that transcended any issues with the print/sound/score and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the two of them go at it in what is a story that is so open to interpretation it finally dawned on me last night why it is remade every 10 years (or so.) (Heretofore I just assumed that there was some kind of contract with the Bronte estate or it was a code for "tax write off" or something.)

Thanks TCM

I havent read the novel for many years, but it seemed to me like they sugar coated the ending for the film in the narration wrap up. I seem to remember the novel ended on a more somber note.....

Overall they did a good job with the adaptation. They left out one stretch I think before Jane got to her position (which was in the tv adaptation with George C. Scott and Susannah York) but it really isnt missed.........

Edited by: Hibi on Jan 31, 2012 10:50 AM

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}Interesting that you claim to know every note of his score...but not that there are two "r"'s in his last name: Bernard Herrmann.

He can't be knowledgeable about film scores AND a bad speller at the same time?

>Why would the distributor make sure they had a great picture but fool around with the soundtrack?

This is very odd. I can't think of another case of this happening to a well known sound film shown on TCM.

Maybe Fox tampered with the sound track so they would have the only correct one to air on the Fox channel??

Maybe you guys should contact Michael the moderator and ask him to pass this information along to the people at TCM who were responsible for obtaining the film and the rights to the film from Fox.

I'm certain that TCM did NOT ask Fox to, "Send us a print with an altered and tampered-with sound track."

This seems like something Fox has done to the sound track for some unknown reason.

For those of you curious.. Here's a scene from Jane Eyre, unadulterated. Herrmann's soundtrack not laid over with another track. Notice the marked improvement in emotional impact of these scenes..

h6. One other funky note, I must comment on for this clip: "Johnson" is a guy! Holy casting!

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I havent read the novel for many years, but it seemed to me like they sugar coated the ending for the film in the narration wrap up. I seem to remember the novel ended on a more somber note...

>

> NOTE: I seem to be having some difficulties in writing something outside of the space reserved for quotes.

>

> The novel has one of the most famous closing lines in history, and I paraphrase it here (in all likelihood inaccurately)

>

> "What did I do then? Dear reader, I married him."

*Maybe Fox tampered with the sound track so they would have the only correct one to air on the Fox channel??* - Fred

I don't think they've aired it on FMC in ages, if ever. I always check one of those TV schedule search engines for future airings and *Jane Eyre* never showed up until TCM got it.

I'm with JonnyGeetar, I was just happy to see it again. It's still my favorite Welles performance.

I know the person named PeterAndres who put that clip up on YouTube. He posts on the IMDb boards and we met when he came to NYC last summer. I guess he didn't see the film last night because otherwise he would be waxing wroth ;) about the score alterations.

LOL. Jonny. I dont remember but it's been a long time since I read it.

SPOILER ALERT:

The movie ended with the narration giving the impression he got his sight back. I dont think that happened in the novel.......

The last paragraphs are what I call a Victorian closure; that is, a statement or two about notable characters at the end. Her last paragraph (Jane writes in the first person) is about Rev. St Cyr.. (Sincere- get it) and his broken heart for Jane, that will mend for he loves his Savior most of all.

Edward recovers his sight, slowly.

The statement that Jane narrates at the end of the movie is literally taken from the novel..

>When his first-born was put into his arms, he could see that the boy had inherited his own eyes, as they once were--large, brilliant and black.

Yeah, I am a fan of Charlotte Bronte as well..

Edited by: casablancalover on Jan 31, 2012 7:11 PM