Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest olmsted, l

Favorite Drunk

Well, Lee Marvin did a good enough job of playing a drunk in "Cat Ballou" that he got an Oscar for it. Does anyone remember Foster Brooks? He did comedy and was on TV, and I honestly can't think of anyone who could play a drunk better than he did, even though he wasn't in the movies.

Newmans drunk in the sting I thought was great. Especially during the poker game - though he was acting at acting like a drunk.

William Powell was a good drunk ... he had plenty of practice being the martini man in all the Thin Man movies. They made it look like such fun! Myrna Loy too!!

Yes, I read on here the mother of the murdered little boy, Hortence was the characters name I think, from The Bad Seed. What a wonderful performance! It gives me goose bumps just thinking of the way she grabbed the mother of the bad seed and hugged her and said " Christina! I know you know sumpin! Why wont you tell me!" and offered to do her hair. Ouch, what a killer performance. I believe that actress died pretty recently if I am not mistaken. I feel bad not knowing her name.

I don't think anyone mentioned hard-drinking Victor McLaglen in The Informer (1935). He had such a powerful presence, yet I could not help feeling sorry for the poor soul.

William Powell in the Thin Man movies would have to be my favorite because he was a happy drunk. Yet for all the cocktails he puts down in those movies he rarely shows it.

I agree with you about William Powell in "The Thin Man" series. He put down a lot of booze, and it always seemed to be on his mind or in his hand, but he never really appeared to be "drunk". I wonder what that was about?

How about Bette Davis in All About Eve? "Fasten your seat belts........." Also, Uncle Billy in It's A Wonderful Life. Bogie in The African Queen. (watched it the other night!)

I'm also fond of Peter Seamus O'Toole in "My Favorite Year". I prefer the "light comedy" to the drama's re. drinking and drunks, and this was a funny movie although possibly not considered to be a Classic just yet.

Eve-- I just LOVE Uncle Billy in "It's a Wonderful Life"! My favorite part is when you hear him trip over the garbage cans while yellin' "I'm alllll right, I'm alllll right!". *LOL*

ML-- I've always loved William Powell's portrayal of a carefree lush in the "Thin Man" series; but like you, I've also noticed that with all that drinkin' he does, he never seems drunk!

My all time favorite Susan Hayward as a drunk in "I'll Cry Tomorrow". Jack Lemmon's alcoholism scared me in "Days of Wine and Roses" - wonderful drunk.

Mypalspencer, I was just speaking with "our friend Spencer" this morning via e-mail and he asked about you. Please drop him a line when you have time. ML

Jack Lemmon's performance as a drunk "Days of Wine& Roses" scared me to death that i never wanted to drink

ever!.... thanks Jack for sobriety for ever and ever.

Miss him wish he was still making movies.....

i'm thankful for the great body of work he has left for us to look at whenever we want to.

I agree that Jack Lemmon did an awesome job in "Days of Wine and Roses". Other actors I thought did great performances of drunks were Clark Gable (in Gone With The Wind and The Misfits), and Tony Randall in "Send Me No Flowers".

my favorites would have to be Wm Powell and Jimmy Stewart. Most realistic portrayals go to Susan Hayward, both Lemmon and Remick, Paul Newman (also in The Verdict), Ray Milland, Lee Marvin. Also, Dean Martin in that oater with John Wayne where he's trying so hard not to drink.