Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Artist" (2011)

joefilmone

TCM fans will probably enjoy this romantic comedy but I found it a bit over hyped. The plot is basically " A Star is Born meets Silent Movie" yes it's mostly silent and in glorious black and white. The cast is very charming specially Jean Dujardin who plays the Fairbanks like silent star but it's his dog who really steals the movie and should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Edited by: joefilmone on Jan 28, 2012 9:46 PM

Many people are such that they take an interest in, and acknowledge something only when it's sanctioned by contemporary pop culture. *The Artist* can stimulate interest in, if not at least acceptance of old black and white silent films; in order to be able to make that (for them) heroic leap they just need a contemporary film with contemporary stars. Only then does a subject become "cool" and acceptable. Lacking such cultural support, a subject is off the radar screen for them and in limbo. If *The Artist* accomplishes that newfound respect and interest in old films for the masses, then it was well worth making!

I could see contemporary audiences adjusting to the film being in black and white. (No one avoided *Schindler's List* because it wasn't in color.) They may even quickly accept the lack of dialogue in the film. (Mel Brooks got there first.) But I am not so sure that most viewers would enjoy seeing a film on today's theater screens in the "period" aspect ratio.

Or am I mistaken and the film isn't filmed / presented in the squarish aspect ratio of the 30s? But I swear I read somewhere that it was.

Some years ago I saw "The Wizard Of Oz" in the Cinerama Dome. It was definitely odd to watch that "postage stamp" image on such a big screen. Maybe the size of the auditorium makes a difference too. The Dome is huge and one can be sitting far back from the screen.

Of course, that reservation on my part doesn't apply to most TCM watchers. Just to the public at large.

Kyle In Hollywood

The perido aspect issue is not a big problem-I didn't even notice until the movie was almost over. I did see the movie with an older audience and they seem to enjoy it- I'm not sure if this will ever really play at your average cineplex crowd- that's why they have been opening it so slowly. It's a movie with a very particular audience in mind. But there is something that really bothered me- the music is nonstop and I thought the original score was very good until the climax when I heard a familiar theme- Herrman's haunting love theme for "Vertigo" yes he is credited at the end but I just thought this was wrong- " The Artist" is a cute well made movie but no where in the same league with Hitchcok's masterpiece.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings