Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Requiem For A Heavyweight

FrankT

Was able to get my 25 yr old daughter to watch the film last night. Pointed out to her that Rod Serling wrote it and to focus on the dramatic acting of Gleason ( she's seen the Honeymooners) and an intro to Anthony Quinn. Well she was very quiet throughout but said out loud - " I can't believe he is going to get him drunk" causing Mountain to miss his job interview. All in all a sucess. She said the story ended sadly for Mountain who was a good soul and asked what other films Quinn was in.

I'm just trying to get her to appreciate TCM and some of the classics. Any thoughts?

Wow, Requiem could be a hard movie for someone to like since it is very dark. My wife, being such a nice lady (really), often cringes at movies like this, yelling at the screen 'how could you do that to him!'.

Yes, if one doesn't feel for Mountain they have no soul.

The movie moves you but sometimes in ways we don't wish to be moved.

Frank T, I have a nephew(actually, I have several) who was already familiar with Gleason's dramatic flair from "The Hustler", which for some reason he watched one day and wound upjust loving. He was also familiar with Rooney's "Andy Hardy" history and we often poke fun at his step-father because except for the height, he's almost a dead ringer. HIS surprise moment came at the beginning of the film. "Hey! Isn't that ALI?" Well, he was Cassius Clay then. He also wondered if the woman who played the bookie was Kathy Bates. Well, no...she'd be too young at time, but it IS an amazing resemblance!

You could "Wiki-fy" Quinn to get a list of his filmology, but add "Barrabas" to those mentioned here.

Oh, by the way, living in the Detroit area, and having met some of the wash-outs and has beens that used to hang around the old Kronk Gym, Quinn's portrayal isn't really all that "cartoonish". You could have also mentioned that Keenan Wynn's "Maishe" was equal to Gleason's(if not better), and his Dad, Ed Wynn's dramatic work was top notch!

Sepiatone

It was either TCM or AMC, that showed the Playhouse 90 version, years ago. I agree that Palance was great in it, but I think Quinn was quite good too.

I do wish TCM would show as much of Playhouse 90 as is available. I enjoyed TCM showing Screen Directors Playhouse, and Playhouse 90 is way better than that.

Ed Wynn did play the Rooney role and his son Keenan Wynn played the Gleason role of Maish. The wonderful Kim Stanley was Grace Carney.

In 1957, one year after the Playhouse 90 airing, the BBC aired their production with a young Sean Connery as "Mountain" McClintock { the name was changed in the film version to Rivera".}.. ?:|

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings