Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Modern Studio Logos Giving Me My 19th Thousand Nervous Breakdown ...

GOFFMYCLOUD

Hi to One in All in The Magical Land Of TCM.

I am curious whether Anyone Else is Bothered by The Studio Logos at either The Beginning

or End of All these Great Classic Films? If they are Original and Retro they are Cool but

when You Get The Latest or Modern Age Logos it Really throws You out of the Beautiful TCM

Bubble. I'm Wondering if there is anything The TCM Gods can do to just use the Original Logos

or possibly Cut Studio Deals to Keep Them Original or Create New Logos but keeping Them in

The Retro Classic Film Noir Feel?

Just a thought. Otherwise, Everything Else TCM TOTALLY ROCKS!

You're Beautiful, Baby! Don't Ever Change.

Thanks for Listening.

Yeah, good point, goff. They sure bother me. And new releases are even worse--with four or five logos & two dozen producers credited. I'll tell you what REALLY stuck in my craw: I recently bought a new DVD version of MEET JOHN DOE. The company who had bought the rights to it didn't put their logo on the beginning or end, they slapped it on DURING THE MOVIE!!!!!! There were those beautiful, depression-era images it starts with and right beneath the weathered old farmer whose walking his land is a logo that says A LORMAR RELEASE. It was like somebody had painted eyeglasses on the Mona Lisa, lemme tell you!!

I'm So Hip To Your Noise, Monty.

I Realize that the Movie Biz is a Biz and that's The Way Of The World

but maybe their could be a Way to Project their Corporate Bat Signal in a more

Artistic/Retro/Cool Way without Jarring Us So Brutally Out of TCM and Back to Reality.

If Frank Capra knew what they did to Your MEET JOHN DOE DVD Box Set I'm sure

His Dialogue wouldn't Be So Capraesque From The Grave.

Even though I must Confess to seeing the Occasional Mustache Painted On a Copy

of The Mona Lisa, in a Humorous Light, I wouldn't agree to Defacing The Real Deal.

Thanks for Sharing, Monty.

Back in the early years of this century, Fox Movie Channel used to do something that irritated me. At the end of one of their classic era movies, they would put all the 20th logos over the years, one after another, including a CGI effects one for this century. However, when the movies started ending an IMMEDIATELY went into a commercial, without a logo of any sort, I knew that the channel was changing, as they deemphasized their older movies and original programming. At that point I wished for the montage of logos.

If you go onto Youtube you can see TV and movie studio logos from all eras. There's a section on scary TV logo's that's kind of interesting, (Viacom, followed by loud strange noise, you know it.)

There was a Family Guy episode where Peter thinks he's watching the start of a movie. It turns out to be a group of studio logos.

Well, the TCM version of MEET JOHN DOE (which was prepared by Mike Agee from two 35mm prints, including Capra's), has a 40's Warner logo with fanfare stuck on at the beginning. The film never had a Warner logo. Lorimar added their credit within the film because it's a P.D. film and it is more difficult to scrub their version than had they placed a logo before the opening of the picture.

I don't doubt you're right about why Lorimar did it, Ray. I just think they crossed a line by altering something within the film that the original filmmakers never intended. And even if they had every legal right to do it, I found it no less offensive than colorization or anything else that alters what the original filmmakers intended for us to see & hear. But thanks for the info. Didn't know that about the Warner Bros. logo.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings