Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Formosa, Forest Lawn and Musso & Frank are the ONLY PLACES of interest?

overeasy

I love old Hollywood. In particular, Musso & Franks. I mean, where else can you still get stuffed celery from liveried waiters?

But PLEASE, would TCM either stop running those pieces on these classic places or DO NEW ONES!!!! Have they cut their budgets so far that they simply can't afford to shoot and edit new features like this, or what? One of the things that always separated TCM's promotional pieces from lessor networks was their reliance on "live action." It's time they lived up to that...

Ron

Yep Charlotte, those are some great suggestions there.

OR, maybe if TCM finds the time and finances to re-start these "fillers" of theirs, how about just them talking a look at this website and this webpage here....

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/chinatown.html

...and maybe have Ben and Tom stop by these film locations of possibly the best movie ever made about L.A. during Hollywood's Golden Age.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}Is Nate & Al's still around on Beverly Blvd?

It was when Tom & Ben filmed their visit, which appears regularly on the version of TCM which my beloved cable provider carries. (My heart bleeds for you poor deprived Canadians.) It’s the one where the new waitress Gloria, who’s only been there 28 years, tells the lads that Johnny Carson would order knockwurst and beans every night before doing his show.

I did business in L.A. in the 1970s, and I lived there and had an office on Sunset Boulevard in '76 and '77, and I saw different movie stars in the many different restaurants that serve the area around North Hollywood, Hollywood, West Hollywood (along the Sunset Strip), and in other areas where there are movie studios.

I never heard of the Formosa or Musso & Franks.

During the years I worked there, I saw Angie Dickenson in a Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset, Connie Francis in another Sunset restaurant, and I personally took Pat Buttram to another restaurant on Sunset. There were small working man's cafes near almost all of the studios, and there were many restaurants in that area that had movie-star photos on the walls, photos of the stars that frequented them.

Executives and other workers for the studios also went to these cafes and restaurants. They all eat food just like the rest of us, and they all eventually eat at cafes and restaurants located near where they work, just like the rest of us.

A lot of people we know as "movie stars" are just working people like the rest of us. Many of them drive around L.A., Beverly Hills, and The Valley just like the rest of us drive around our town shopping.

Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset had the best hamburgers in the world, with guacamole and alfalfa sprouts. They were about $6 back then. Today I guess they would be $12 to $15.

Here are some of the Hollywood and Sunset restaurants that were there when I was there:

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/category/37-1/restaurants-nightclubs/?pg=2&r=48

One time I was sitting in a small CB radio repair shop, and next to me was a little old lady from The Valley (San Fernando Valley). She was waiting to get her CB fixed.

The manager was on the phone when I went in. Finally he got off and we talked a while. I knew the guy. I did a magazine story about his shop earlier. Several movie stars got CB radios from his shop back during the CB fad of the 1970s.

After a while he asked me if I realized who I was sitting next to. I looked at the lady, smiled, and said "No". He told her my name, and he said to me, "I would like you to meet Gloria Dehaven."

I just about fainted. She was in her 50s at that time and she looked like any other housewife in her 50s in the San Fernando Valley.

I was about 36 at that time. Now I am an old man. :)

I said "little" because she seemed rather small and thin. IMDB says she would have been only 52 at the time I met her. But she looked somewhat older. No makeup, no fancy clothes. Just a typical looking 52 year old lady that I never associated with the words "Gloria DeHaven".

In my mind, at that time, Gloria DeHaven was still a young Technicolor Bombshell from the 1940s.

I think it was a place called Cyrano's, but I don't remember for sure.

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/detail/325/cyrano-restaurant/?c=37&i=1&r=48

She had a date with her. They sat at a table on a little balcony right over the sidewalk on Sunset. That meant she probably enjoyed being seen by the public.

There were places I went to back in those days that I wish I had potographed. They were just "neighborhood" places to me then. Near where I worked. I didn't know there would be an "internet" 35 years later where I would be talking about those places.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}...and they all put on their pants one leg at a time, just like the rest of us.

Not necessarily so. It's easy to put your pants on both legs at once. When you take your pants of at night, plant your bare feet firmly, and flat, on the floor. Undo your belt and unzip. Let your pants drop to the floor. Step out of them, without disturbing them. Next morning, just step in the leg holes, and pull your pants up, both legs at once. That's how I do it. Well, with jeans, anyway. :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings