Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nita Talbot Scares Me

darkblue

I hadn't thought about this actress in quite some time, a generally supporting player who seemed to be all over the tv back in the 60's. But I just today got around to watching 'Buck and the Preacher' which I'd dvr'd a month or so ago - and there she was.

She has beauty - of course - but it's those eyes. And to a lesser degree, the set of that mouth. It's just me, I'm sure - just one of those unexplainable internal reactions, but she is one beauty that's always produced a feeling of fear in me. I get a sense of cold cruelty from her. Naturally, the nasty role I saw her in today did nothing to dispel that old sense, it re-awakened it from the long ago.

If I were ever to meet Nita I'd probably find she's the nicest person in the world and fall in love with her.

I remember first seeing her when I was a kid watching HOT OFF THE WIRE with Jim Backus.

To see her bit in ON DANGEROUS GROUND, you would think that she would have been the next Lauren Bacall or Gloria Grahame, but she never really took off. She had roles as the goofy friend of the leading lady in BUNDLE OF JOY and THAT FUNNY FEELING and as you noted, she was all over the place in the 60s on TV.

I think she's equally adept in comedy and drama but can only admit to her being scary once, That was in an episode of THE FUGITIVE where she was just using boyfriend Mickey Rooney and acting to set him up for a hit man since Rooney doesn't have enough money to keep her happy.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}To quote Merle Haggard, *You're on the Fighting Side of Me.* This lady is one on my heroines as she could and did play every kind of character and, unlike another current New York actress, never let the accent get in the way.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}Two of her performances stand out for me: a mid-50's *Matinee Theater* play where she plays an inmate who volunteers for a drug experiment so she can wear lipstick and be called "Miss Williams" rather than just her last name. It told more about prison life than the movies TCM showed last week and she was heartbreaking. The other was a sitcom where she played the ditzy ex-wife to Larry Hagman's uptight ex-husband. They couldn't make it together and he was married to another woman but like him we saw her vulnerability and sweetness as well as the nuttiness that drove him crazy. My Mom loved her as Cal's stripper girlfriend, Lusty Weather, on *Bourbon Street Bea*t. I'm glad she's still alive. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings