Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two things that really irritate me about Mrs. Miniver

slaytonf

Well, not really irritate. Or, rather one that does, and one that, doggonit, that's just unfair. First for the unfairness. Here they are, all through the whole movie setting us up for Vin to be killed, and Carol's the one who ends up dying. A little bit of sneaky plot slight-of-hand, I say.

But the thing that really irritates me is the shameful way the Miniver's daughter, Judy, is treated. She constantly gets crowded out of both the plot and the frame, mostly due to the antics of her oh-too-cute brother. She hardly has any lines, is virtually ignored in the scenes she's in, until, in the final frame of the film, she is completely obliterated. I am always torn, as I watch it, between enjoying all the wonderful things in it, and my anger at the rotten deal she gets. It is the rock in the shoe, the sand in the sandwich, of an otherwise excellent film. If they didn't want to treat her fairly, then they shouldn't have had her in the film at all.

> But the thing that really irritates me is the shameful way the Miniver's daughter, Judy, is treated. She constantly gets crowded out of both the plot and the frame, mostly due to the antics of her oh-too-cute brother. She hardly has any lines, is virtually ignored in the scenes she's in, until, in the final frame of the film, she is completely obliterated. I am always torn, as I watch it, between enjoying all the wonderful things in it, and my anger at the rotten deal she gets. It is the rock in the shoe, the sand in the sandwich, of an otherwise excellent film. If they didn't want to treat her fairly, then they shouldn't have had her in the film at all

Maybe William Wyler should've have had Judy gunned down by the downed German flier before Kay disarms him and calls the constables. Yeah...that would've provided a very nice sting right in the middle of the picture.

And it's sleight of hand, not 'slight"...

Well, at least there was less of an age difference than Demi's.

She did okay after him, married a rich guy and even outlived him. Did good (remember SM, correct others, not me, you don't impress me) when she built two Greer Garson Theaters. One of her conditions: they have large ladies' rooms (per wikipedia).

You go, girl. You may be an icky actor, but I like the way you thought.

1. I love Walter Pigeon, but even with a grown son, I have a hard time seeing him too old to serve , at least "typing for England", as what happened in Hope and Glory .. Still, I know its early in the war.

2. Not enough of the townsfolk. I loved the little side stories, and the scenes in church were good.

>Here they are, all through the whole movie setting us up for Vin to be killed, and Carol's the one who ends up dying. A little bit of sneaky plot slight-of-hand, I say.

Sneaky?? Man, that was brilliant. That's the kind of stuff that make movies one of the highest forms of art.

Complaining about that would be like complaining that Beethoven's 5th starts out with just 4 main notes and repeats them frequently. Those four notes are what make the 5th so famous. It was even used by the English media during WW II because of dot, dot, dot, dash, which is Morse Code for "V", and the symbol "V" was Churchill's famous sign for Victory.

The sad ending of Mrs. Miniver is just as emotional as the sad ending of "I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang" and the last line... "I steal."

I'm paying nearly $70 a month to get these kinds of great movies.

:)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings