Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Sets

Jpolise

After watching The Treasure of The Sierra Madre for the umpteenth time last night, I've always been curious about the different sets used in various scenes in the movie. For example, it appears to me that some scenes are shot on some kind of back lot or sound stage. There are obvious scenes of their location shots in Mexico but some of the scenes around the camp and toward the end when Dobbs eventually shoots Curtin do not appear to be outdoor. The light just doesn't look natural.

Has anyone else ever noticed this or am I just crazy? And it's not just this movie but I've noticed this in many action pictures of that era.

Thoughts??

According to that it looks like my suspicions were true. It must have been cheaper to do certain scenes in Hollywood and therefore limit the time on location.

From a spectacular setting standpoint, one of my favorite scenes in the movie is the very end where Walter Huston (Howard) says goodbye to Curtin and rides off with that rugged and remote mountain range in the background.

Thanks for responding.

You will notice that all of the shots in Tampico only show Bogart from behind. If you look closely, you will see it is a double for him. The shots where you see Bogart and Holt facing the camera are process shots. Obviously, the studio wasn't going to pay to send the cast down to Mexico to film what was to be about one fourth or less of the movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings