Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please Suggest film with glamorous leading female

REDHarlow

Take a look at some of the Marilyn Monroe films from the early 1950s.

Betty Grable in the 1940s.

A few of the Rita Hayworth films in the mid to late '40s.

Ava Gardner in the late '40s and early '50s.

Grace Kelly early '50s.

Look up a film title and a name, then look for their pictures on Google Images to get a look at some of their costumes.

tumblr_lekjilb54Q1qb7sm0.jpg

ritahayworth3.jpg

I have three movies that I think you will like.

1) The Women from 1939

This is a great movie with an all female cast that keeps you laughing and crying (a little bit). These well-to-do women head out to Reno to get divorces. It is a camp for divorcing women who have to live out there for awhile so that they can qualify for the divorce. Then they return home and the fun really begins. The clothes are fantastic - there is once fashion show that you will love. I think you will really enjoy this movie. Stars: Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Paulette Goddard, Joan Fontaine

2) Riptide - 1934

This is a fun movie about a woman married to a " stuff shirt" , and then she sees her old flame and the whole thing is about which man she is going to end up with. I really liked this one also.

Stars: Norma Shearer, Robert Montgomery (really good) and Herbert Marshall

3) Dinner at Eight - 1933

This is about a dinner party and the guest who are invited to it. One couple is Jean Harlow and Wallace Beery. (and they are the funniest ones). The other stars are John Barrymore, Billie Burke, Lionell Barrymore, and Marie Dressler. Her conversation with Harlow is classic.

There are so many good movies that you would like - the best thing to do is to go to TCM and look up a star, then find a movie and get a description of the movie to see if you like it. You can also go to IMDb and do the same thing. Good Luck!

One other suggestion - Audrey Hepburn movies. She is always glamorous!

1 Sabrina - she wears great clothes after she comes back from France

2 Funny Face - she models beautiful clothes for photographer Fred Astaire

3 Breakfast At Tiffanys - Talk about glamour and style, this is the movie for you!

Enjoy whatever you find - you have a whole lot to choose from!

Off the top of my head,

Myrna Loy is very stylish in the original *The Thin Man*.

Ingrid Bergman is very stylish in *Casablanca* and *Notorious*

Joan Crawford in *Mildred Pierce*

Kate Hepburn in *The Philadelphia Story*

Roz Russell in *His Girl Friday*

Hi! thank you so much for sugesting Loretta Young! I had seen a bit of a film she did a long time ago on TCM but I couldn't even catch the name, it was of a deal with a man's wife and his doctor, the woman and the doctor kill him and they're trying to retrieve the lletter which exposes the truth (something like that) but I couldn't catch the name and now searching her films I saw a picture of her in that movie Cause for alarm!!! she wasn't glamorous in that film but her performance there made an impact on me, it was so well done and when I was thinking about a leading female I thought of that film but didn't know what film it was so thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for all of your great suggestions! I would love to see dinner at eight!! the thing is I didn't really know many actresses from that time, my only favorite actress is Marilyn Monroe I've seen Sophia Loren and Brigitte, Bacall etc.. but I didn't love watching their films as much, but Carroll Baker in the Harlow movie was amazing and her life was so intriguing so I would love to watch that one, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Have you watched any of Jean Harlow's films? I'm not sure if your screen name is inspired by the film HARLOW, or by Harlow herself.

I second the suggestion of *Dinner at Eight*, and also recommend *Bombshell,* *Wife vs. Secretary*, and *Libeled Lady*.

BTW, much of what is in the film Harlow is inaccurate. It was based on a biography of her by Irving Shulman. I read a LOT of film star bios and it is truly one of the worst that I have ever read. He writes things that he would have absolutely no way of knowing. There is an excellent biography of Jean Harlow by David Stenn, if you are interested in knowing more about her.

Sandy K

Edited by: sandykaypax on Feb 23, 2012 2:14 PM

I agree with you. I think that she has some glamorous looks in Bombshell, since the film is sort of a spoof of her own movie star life. I suggested Libeled Lady and Wife vs. Secretary because I enjoy her performances in those films.

The most glamorous stars of the 1930's are Joan Crawford and Kay Francis, IMO.

Sandy K

IMO Loretta Young is the greatest of all the Hollywood "natural" beauties, but few of her best roles exude much glamor. Louise Brooks is a stunner but in her best roles she's got the same problem.

For pure glamor I'd take Rita Hayworth in Gilda , followed by Gene Tierney in Laura and Katharine Hepburn in Woman of the Year , even though it's somewhat of a comic role. And then there are Audrey Hepburn or Leslie Caron in just about any movie they were in. Harlow is my all-time favorite comedienne, but in order to spot the glamor you have to peel off so many layers of makeup that it's hard to know exactly what's underneath it all. She's got pizzaz and spunk, but that's not quite the same thing as glamor.

Harlow was a gifted comedian. She had great timing. When I was growing up I got the impression that she was a "hussey" from that movie Harlow. But as Sandykaypax has already stated, most of that movie was very wrong. I, too cannot believe that movie was even made, because I haven't been able to find anything but very flattering stories about her. She seems to have been loved by her costars, and producers, too. Her movies are classics and it is a shame that she didn't live long enough to entertain us with more of her talent.

Edited by: bagladymimi on Feb 23, 2012 10:07 PM

I agree with you about Crawford and Francis being the most glamorous stars of the 30s. I guess we both define (view) glamorous the same way. It isn't that these gals where the most beautiful but a combination of beauty, style, what they wear and how they wear it, and just how one carries themselves and the impact they make when they enter the room.

*The most glamorous stars of the 1930's are Joan Crawford and Kay Francis, IMO.*

Other top glamorous stars from the 30s include Loretta Young, Constance Bennett, and Carole Lombard, even Norma Shearer and of course Dietrich. All wore those clingy gowns of the era quite becomingly.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings