Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broadcast News (1987)

brackenhe

Anybody remember this movie?

I watched Broadcast News (1987) yesterday for the first time in a long time. It's hard to believe it's been 25 years since this came out, and it holds up pretty well. Made at the end of the Reagan era, it was a comedy/drama about 3 young people who come together in the world of Network TV news. Holly Hunter, who was just starting to get some higher profile films, plays a smart, tough but neurotic news producer, William Hurt is the pretty boy, blow-dried former sports caster who has higher profile ambitions, and Albert Brooks as the very smart, but insecure news writer. All 3 are really great in this movie. I wouldn't say any of their characters are particularly likable, but yet you understand where all of them coming from. All 3 were Oscar nominated. There are a few supporting characters that really stand out as well. Robert Prosky plays Jane's (Holly Hunter) mentor at the network, Joan Cusack plays an office gofer who does what she can to make everyone's job easier, and in a bit, Jack Nicholson, the current anchor at the network.

Well written & directed by James L. Brooks, who was riding high at that point, it's a time capsule of that era. Besides the obviously dated technology, it showed the beginning of the end of serious journalism. Nominated for 7 Oscars, it struck out for any awards, but it was well worth watching again. In my mind, one of the great & clever films from the 1980's.

Any thoughts?

I kind of keep forgetting about this movie. It was a good one. I haven't seen it in a long long while but I can't help think (like with my more favorite, "NETWORK"), how prescient "Broadcast News" was. Interesting what the movie says about who gets hired...who's "electable" or anointed...what's it like to be "the smartest person in the room" and how that may or may not get you what you want. How you can love a person, but not respect him.

Albert Brooks - smart, curly-haired mensch w/the flop sweat.

Holly Hunter - smart, grating voice, integrity, sincere, wants to be right.

William Hurt - blonde pretty boy, likeable, is that enough...isn't that enuf?

Ooooh, this is frustrating. I want to talk more in depth about "Broadcast News"with you, but it's been a long time since I've seen it; I wanted to acknowledge your post.

Twenty five years...whoa. The movie is worth seeing again.

And on a side note Helen, did you see "Drive" starring Ryan Gosling? Albert Brooks gives a very chilling, Oscar-worthy performance in this. Frightening. I didn't think he had it in him.

Hey girl. I kinda thought this might be one you liked. It comes on cable from time to time but I hadn't seen it in quite some time until yesterday. I was scrolling through my on screen guide, saw it was on, thought about Brooks' snub in the recent Oscar noms, and thought I'd watched one of his best roles. Which is what I think about how great Brooks was in this movie, along with Hurt & Hunter. I haven't seen Drive, but I'll probably watch it when it comes on HBO or on whatever channel it will eventually air. Gosling is a guy I don't know anything about much (I haven't seen any of his films, but something tells me he's a great actor, and he's charming on the talk shows I've seen him do.) I was afraid I'd be disallusioned about my memory of this fine film, but good acting, writing & directing is always worth watching. And you're right about how prescient it was, along with Network.

True confession--I've had a huge crush on Brooks for years, ever since he used to appear on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson back in the 1970's (Johnny loved him, BTW.) His film career has been hit or miss--he's had some really great roles but has been low profile for most of his career. I saw him in a film a few months ago, My First Mister, where he plays a guy who manages a men's clothing store who becomes friends with a troubled young lady and becomes a mentor of sorts to her. It came out in the early 2000's and I don't remember any publicity about it. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. Brooks is a talented man but doesn't seem to get much love.

Edited by: helenbaby on Feb 4, 2012 7:50 AM

Yo Helen... :-) I have to really look at those Oscar-noms this year. I just know that I'll watch the show like I've done every year since Julie Christie and Sidney Poitier won their Oscars. I kind of skim over the recent nominees list, and felt depressingly disappointed by the choices I did see.

So...Brooks was not nominated. Now truly, that's a dang shame. And don't worry, I'm not turning this thread off course over an Oscar-bashing harangued cliff. (I love watching the Oscars). I'm just thinking that Brooks in this 'snub', suffered what his character suffered in "Broadcast News." A good solid actor, low key. But he's not dynamic enough...not attractive enough. Not anointed-favorite-son-of-Hollywood enough. (Brad Pitt for "Money Ball"?? C'mon!! He did do a fantastic job in "Benjamin Button" IMHO). << (( Sigh! )) >> Hollywood. Wha'cha gonna do.

I didn't have a crush on him, but I surely remember Brooks back in the day. A humorist, wouldn't you say, rather than a comedian? A smart keen sense of humor. I always felt smart when I 'got him.'

And I miss Johnny.

I really must check out "Broadcast News" sooner than later. Thanxx for the reminder.

helen,

We have the framed one sheet from the film. It hangs in MrCutter's office. In one of his previous lives, he was the on-line editor for NBC Nightly news (west coast) and he says the newsroom stuff is pretty darn accurate.

We haven't seen the movie in quite some time but we both like it a great deal.

This movie changed my life in a very big way. I was engaged and we went to this movie together. The two guys represented a battle between style verses substance. I was more like the Brooks character and she always wanted me to be more like the Hurt character. I had meet some of her friends and they were like him. Yea, they dressed nice and looked good but they were empty upstairs and inside. So after we watched the movie I realized this relationship wasn't going to work. I just was never going to be like the Hunt character because I just don't respect that way of being. She was shocked I called off the wedding two weeks before the date.

I've liked Albert Brooks since the days he was doin' his conceptual-style standup routines on TV talk and variety shows back in the '70s, and before his film career began.

There was one routine that ALWAYS cracked me up big-time. It was the one where he imagined there'd be a casting call-like audition for songwriters of a proposed new National Anthem because "The Star-Spangled Banner" is just too hard to sing for most people, and he played all the characters who might've shown up for such a gig.

Anybody remember that?

I'm not Clooney fan he seems plastic and a self serving Hollywood liberal- the Oscar shoud go to Brad Pitt who yes is prettier than Clooney but gives a real good performance in "Moneyball" but Oscar prefers for good looking actors to make themselves look ugly in order to be honored. "Drive" was too artsy for the action crowd and too violent for the art crowd.

I am familiar with Clooney's charity work - I just don't like men or women who are stuck on themselves.

I am not a great fan of Brad Pitt, but he seems as though he is a likable guy. Since I have seen none of these performances, I really can't be a good judge. All I know is that I don't like Clooney - period!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings