• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Theater fomerly known as The Kodak

hlywdkjk

The Theater fomerly known as The Kodak

*Kodak Wants Name Off LA Home Of Oscars Broadcast*

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP0111215343254961b6cc46548b33af40.html

American business icon Eastman Kodak is in bankruptcy. The digital photography revolution has brought it to this point. As part of the "Chapter 11" process, Kodak has asked to be allowed to walk away from its contract for the naming rights for "The Kodak Theater" in Hollywood.

So the home of the Academy Awards is looking for a new name for its theater. (The Academy is also looking at a potential new home for the ceremony - but that is a different discussion.)

Kodak was a perfect name for the home of the Academy Awards. It was industry-related and had a relationship with the general public. Kodak was as much a part of "Hollywood" as it was a part of everyone's home. A company with such an equally unique position in the marketplace is not going to be replaced easily. "The Panavision Theater" means little to the viewer at home. And "The Netflix Theater" may not please the Academy membership either. Netflix and the studios have a contentious relationship. But I have a suggestion.

I hereby suggest the suits at Turner Entertainment pony up the cash to name the home of the Oscars -

h2. "The Robert Osborne Theater".

Now, at first I thought it could be named "The TCM Theater". But I'm sure ABC would veto that. While not a tenant, I bet ABC will have some input on the naming rights of the home of the Oscars. ABC is the Academy's biggest "funder" and they would be "unhappy" if another television network had its name above the entrance.

But "Robert Osborne" as a theater name is a different story. It references TCM without being blatant. And because Robert Osborne is the official historian of the Academy Awards, it also reflects the Academy's past and present in a manner to which the general public can relate. And it is (mostly) "film-studio" neutral. The Academy won't let "Sony" or "Disney" slap their name on the theater. And "Comcast" would likely be ruled out too.

OK, OK. I am being somewhat tongue in cheek. The naming rights for the Theater are not going to come cheap. But they may be cheaper than a Conan O'Brien contract extension or College Basketball broadcast rights. But what better way to "brand" TCM in the minds of movie fans than to put the moniker of the "Face of TCM" on the home of the Oscars.

But I am perfectly resigned to the idea that the theater will likely become "The Coca-Cola Theater". I wouldn't be surprised if that Atlanta company has already made inquiries.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Feb 4, 2012 11:53 AM

to fix a silly typo

But I am perfectly resigned to the idea that the theater will likely become "The Coca-Cola Theater". I wouldn't be surprised if that Atlanta company has already made inquiries.

After the debacle of their ownership of Columbia, I doubt that they want to be associated with Hollywood except for product placements.

...WHO GOES TO THE ELECTRIC CHAIR IN A PLACE IN THE SUN.

>I hereby suggest the suits at Turner Entertainment pony up the cash to name the home of the Oscars "The Robert Osborne Theater".

What a ghastly idea (Bob could warm up the Oscar-night crowd by reciting old TCM scripts full of misinformation).

It may be moot, anyway, since the Academy is considering moving the ceremonies to the much bigger Nokia Theater in downtown L.A. (and, as a resident of Hollywood, who's inconvenienced by street closures for the week preceding the Oscars, the sooner they leave, the better).

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}Perhaps one of the billionaires in Alaska will step forward with funds and rename it the Kodiak Theater.

Well Sans, I supposed that would be better than, say, "The Bridge To Nowhere" and/or "The Sarah Palin, I Can See Russia From My House" Theater for The Performing Arts", huh!

;)

It would be ironic if Fuji came up with the money to buy the naming rights. After all, it was Fuji that practically stole the home consumer film market away from Kodak. That really would be like pouring salt on a wound.

• 2 months later...

Just heard on the radio that the theater's owners have reached an agreement with the film audio company to name the home of the Oscars -

The Dolby Theater

Not a bad choice. I don't think I could come up with a better one.

Kyle In Hollywood

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings