Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ONLINE STREAMING TCM MOVIES

otherstuff

Dear TCM: I have tried the online streaming Netflix and Redbox and neither offer the quality/quanitity of movies available in the TCM database. Given this fact and also that cable companies are changing the way they make TCM available, why can't TCM offer an alternative to Netflix/Redbox for viewers who LOVE classic movies. Mailorder Netflix (where classic movies are available) just doesn't work now that DVDs take longer in the mail because of a slowdown in USPS delivery times. And my local library has a very limited selection of classic movies.

Your answer may well lie in what Netflix has tried to do. It may be there are different rights issues in streaming as opposed to broadcasting. Would TCM have to pay a studio based on how many times something was viewed? It would require a bigger technical department. TCM would likely have to charge a fee for it. Accounting, legal and rights costs may well make it more trouble then it is worth. The only scenario that could make sense would be streaming what is being broadcast. The NFL did that with The Super Bowl this year but that was on their own website with their own product.

There have been a couple of films in the media department over the years but that may have been only on things TCM owns outright. Clips and trialers there may be included in the rights fees already. Smarter folks than I can give a better answer.

It's a nice idea but I can't see a time where that is likely in the near future.

Amazon.com (and I assume other such retail sites) does the same thing: Offers many movies for download purchase/streaming. It's probably not worth the technical/legal hassle for TCM to do anything like that, as movieman pointed out here. Many studios themselves/video companies also offer online streaming/download.

There's already another thread on this very subject:

[m-8606580]

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings