Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi All, I'm new to the forums so this is my first post.

I love movies. I especially enjoy classic movies because of how well made they are, how they often capture the times and how I often I'm surprised by a movie I've never before seen.

Most of the movies discussed here fall within 70 to 30 years ago if I'm correct. That's certainly the ones I prefer to watch on TCM. And here we are still appreciating them so many years later.

Anyway, watching the old b/w classics and not so classics makes me wonder if recent or relatively recent movies, say within the last 30 years, will be watched with the same kind of interest and pleasure.

So my question is, what movies since around 1970 do you think would still be watched and appreciated 30 years from now?

Here's my list starting from oldest to newest in somewhat of a release order and of course I'm sure I'll forget some :-)

Patton (long but not to me)

The GodFather I and II (great in just about everything)

The Sting (loved it)

All the Presidents Men (great story telling)

The Exorcist (still scary 30+ years later!)

American Graffiti (great snapshot of a singular time)

A Clockwork Orange (bizarre and unique)

Jaws (the beginning of mega block-busters)

Apacolypse Now (wild take on vietnam)

Network (I'm not gonna take it anymore!)

Young Frankenstein (classic comedy well done all around)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (awesome FX)

Star Wars (saw it when I was 10 with my mouth open)

Blade Runner (dark but good)

The Elephant Man (great b/w modern movie)

The Last Emperor (great all around)

Amadeus (started my love of his music)

The Right Stuff (astronomy buff)

Once Upon in America (can't get the song out of my head)

Raging Bull (another gritty b/w modern movie, brutal)

Dances with Wolves (again great all around)

The Princes Bride (perfect comic fantasy)

Schindlers List (yet another modern b/w brutal for different reasons)

Forest Gump (hilarious story)

Pulp Fiction (you either love it or hate it)

The Sixth Sense (what a twist)

Apollo 13 (amazing factual story)

The Birdcage (couldn't stop laughing)

Saving Private Ryan (didn't breath during first 20 mins)

The Matrix (the first one only)

A Beautiful Mind (good but not as good as the book)

The Lord of the Rings (all three)

Well I'm sure I've forgotten some. Well what do you think?

What do you think are memorable movies since 1970? What did I forget?

Welcome, whatasalsa! I signed up a few weeks ago. Hope you stay around & chat! Thats some list! The ones I'd definitely agree on are:

GODFATHER

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS

STARWARS

PRINCESS BRIDE (just watched Friday)

SCHINDLERS LIST

The only two I'm not sure about are CLOCKWORK ORANGE, because it is so intensely depressing,violent & strange,

(I liked it, but I am strange) and LORD OF THE RINGS. I'm sure many will disagree with that one, but I would prefer to see the books as classics, because now that they're in movie form, many people will probably skip the books and thats a real loss. There is so much more in the books, and the people in those films weren't much like the visuals I got from Tolkien's writings, especially the Hobbits. Whats-his-name looks more like an elf than a Hobbit.

I will get back to you with my picks, have to think about it a bit.

Fiddler on the Roof is a little more than 30 years old (I think it came out in 1970 or 1971) but I think it's a great musical. You also left off The Deer Hunter and Platoon, which I feel is a great Vietnam era movie. I also love The Shawshank Redemption and Full Metal Jacket. I guess I could list a bunch if I had time but your list is pretty good (some I wouldn't see if you paid me, but I'm sure others will say classic.)

and welcome!

That's a fine list that you have compiled. I have to watch "Young Frankenstein" about twice a year, whenever I start thinking about certain scenes which make me chuckle.

I saw a movie the other night directed by Joseph Losey [of "The Boy With the Green Hair" and "The Servant" fame] called "Mr. Klein" that I think is a noirish type modern classic, and it was made in the 1970's with Alain Delon as the eponymous hero.

It was very eerie and moving, in a doppelganger type way and though a bit obscure might be considered a foreign classic.

Hey All,

Thanks for making me feel welcome!

I'm truly blown away by this message board. Like I said before, I love movies, and watching the classics that TCM plays is like being a kid in a candy store every day!

That's what got me thinking about the more recent (last 30 years) movies and how they would compare. And I thought it was really not a fair comparison because at least to me there's just something about the old b/w movies that makes them special.

But I thought that surely there must be some that 30 years from now might stand the passage of time. So I thought I'd ask and see what you all thought.

brakenhe: I knew I would forget some! Fiddler on the Roof truly is a great movie musical. Seems every song in that movie is memorable and the atmosphere really is convincing. I find myself humming all day after watching it. As for the war movies you mentioned, being a former Marine, I'm partial to war movies, especially the old ones, and the ones you mentioned, all from the Vietnam era are good ones (GySgt. Hartman alone makes Full Metal Jacket worth seeing!) but I think of all of them, from purely a movie experience I preferred Apocolypse Now because it is so surreal.

Mongo: I haven't seen the Last Picture Show but I read up on it at imdb and it's now on my list. Interesting plot, reminds me of somewhat of a cross between Cinema Paradiso and American Graffiti in a way.

decotodla: I might agree with you about Dances with Wolves but I still have a soft spot for Forrest Gump. The idea that this guy who has such a small grasp of the world around him yet impacts just about every major paradigm shift in American society and isn't even aware is just hilarious to me. And the character just has such an accepting way about everyone he meets and everything he encounters that I can't help but liking him.

loliteblue: I overlooked The Color Purple. I was it again within the last year and I agree with you on that one. Such a sad story. Do you mean the Rocky Horror Picture Show? If so, I guess if A Clockwork Orange is in I would have to agree that it also would qualify simply because of it's originality. It's so outlandish!

therealfuster: I'm going to have to watch Mr. Klein. I haven't heard of it before.

lorrekarloff: Princes Bride is still my wife's favorite movie, I like it too of course, so I get to watch it more often than most I bet. On the LOTR, I disagree that it will cause some not to read the books. I think what happened in my household might be common. My eldest daughter who is now 16, went with me to watch the The Fellowship of the Ring without reading any of the books, I think she had started reading The Hobbit but was not making a whole lot of progress. As soon as we got out of the theater she was all excited and told me she couldn't wait to read them all. She did and is now a huge fan of the books, although I think she also had a crush on the actor who played Legolas! If fact I know because we just watched Troy (an OK movie), in which he plays Paris. It's rated R for some brief love scenes and Brad Pitts butt, not to mention the war scenes, so I had to fast forward though a couple of scenes, but she just had to watch it:-)

Thanks all for your thoughts. It's great to share a common love.

WELCOME TO TCM! I review-(in the theatre) between 36 and 60 new releases per year-(2005 is my 24th yr.)

However, I am obviously by far, still a fan of: Hollywoods Gloriously Grand Golden Age & Studio-System-(1925-60)

But, what makes a "Classic?" Besides time-(how many years must pass as well? My limit is 20) & of course "Greatness"

There have of course been many, but as noted, I still-(for an avg. of 80 per cent) am immediately drawn to the "Studio-System Era"

Some flix, that 1 cannot ignore-(I am only citing 20yrs or so):

"Raging Bull" (1980)

*"Schindler's List" (1993)

"Saving Pvt. Ryan" (1998)

"GoodFellas" (1990)

"E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982)

*"Titanic" (1997; & I know it has it's detractors. However, this mammoth motion picture, is about as close as we have had in our rather pathetic era of cinema. To the likes of *"GWTW" In terms of scope, size, popularity & winning even more ACADEMY GOLD!)

*"Unforgiven" (1992)

& given it's already confirmed as a true "Classic Heavyweight" Plus, is 33yrs old. My personal candidate as finest 2 films of all-time: *"The Godfather" & *"The Godfather, Part 11" Don't need to be cited.

Even

"AFI's 100 yrs...100 Movies" (1998)

voted the first one #3rd. After only>

"Kane"& *"Casablanca"

whatasalsa--I love Forrest Gump too. I think there's some Tom Hanks/Forrest Gump backlash in the last couple of years but I wouldn't let that discourage me from loving it. I thought Hanks was great in the movie, as well as great performances by Gary Sinise and Robin Wright Penn. So I will defend this movie, yes I will.

So far most of all that have been listed I have on my list too. Some Others off the top of my head:

Alien - outside of Jaws the only movie to get me jump out of my seat at the theater.

Fast Times at Ridgemount High - a teen classic

The Breakast Club - another teen classic

The Big Chill - as long as the baby boomers are alive this will be a classic

Ordinary People - A total package in film and story.

Rocky - A true "Rocky" story for Stallone.

Tombstone (93)A classic, in the sense it makes its way onto all the favorite western lists.

Most of the Disney animated films:

The Little Mermaid

Beauty and the Beast

Aladdin

Lion King

Toy Story

Mulan

Finding Nemo

Plus non Disney:

Shrek

Well I did some thinkin'-here's the result:

other than films already listed -

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

A Christmas Story

Harry Potter movies

Good Morning, Vietnam

Radio Days

Superman

Braveheart

Terminator 1&2

Monty Python & the Holy Grail

The Untouchables

Goodfellas

Back to the Future, Parts 1,2&3

It also seems that most have forgotten about horror/sci-fi. What about these? -

Poltergiest

The Omen

The Shining

The Stepford Wives

Soylent Green

Westworld

Independence Day

Can anyone think of some more?

lorrekarloff, you've really got some great ones there that I had forgotten! I completely agree with these:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (fantastic)

A Christmas Story (truly a classic)

Harry Potter (the third one was really good)

Monty Python & the Holy Grail (run away, run away!)

Back to the Future, Parts 1,2&3 (as a trio they're really great)

whatasalsa

I'd agree with some of the obvious choices mentioned here, like Godfather I & II, Young Frankenstein and Rocky.

Here's a few "not for everyone"-type flicks that I'd pick, due to their "different" level of intelligence, imagination, spirit, insight and aesthetics that I personally never get from the likes of Spielberg:

Blade Runner

Brazil

The Thin Red Line

The Iron Giant - to me, the closest the modern era has ever come to a Walt Disney classic. Director Brad Bird (also the director of The Incredibles) is smart, funny, boundlessly enthusiastic and young-spirited, and always respectful of that one magic rule that the greatest legends in animation practiced: you can entertain the toddlers without lowering the IQ of the entire picture to their level.

Nightmare Before Christmas - As a producer, designer and writer, Tim Burton was truly inspired in this joint effort with director and stop-motion animator Henry Selick.

Ed Wood, Edward Scissorhands and Sleepy Hollow - As a director, Tim Burton found more inspiration and originality through his perfectly-suited leading man Johnny Depp (gotta continue to thank Burton for almost single-handedly making Depp's film career possible).

Once Upon a Time in America - Sergio Leone's moody last hurrah, aided by a classic Ennio Morricone score, which plays an even bigger role in advancing the story than the dialogue does. A very rewarding film for those who can handle the Italians' style of slower pacing and longer exploration of characters.

Cinema Paradiso (director's cut) - in the Italian tradition again, taking its time exploring every character, and touching on every human emotion from a to z. Plus, another unforgettable Ennio Morricone score.