Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who dat?

Sepiatone

The other day I watched the first half hour of *The Sea Hawk* on TCM. Oddly, I've never seen this movie all the way through. Just bits and pieces here and there over the years. Anyway, as I was watching the scene at the beginning when Gilbert Roland's ship was overtaken by Flynn and his crew, there was a crew member of his that looked all the world like James Arness. But, reasoned I, it couldn't be him because I understood Arness didn't start his film career until a good six or seven years AFTER "Hawk" was released. So I wikified him and sure enough, it couldn't possibly be James Arness. But he sure LOKED and SOUNDED like him! So, WHO could he possibly BE?

It also reminded me of a funny story that involves Mr. Arness. It was back in the mid 1970's, on one of those sunny winter Saturday afternoons, you know, the kind where the sun is super bright in spite of there being three feet of snow on the ground. I was over a buddy's house. He had the TV on watching *The Thing From Another Planet* . So I casually mentioned, "You know that the guy who plays the "thing" is the guy from *Gunsmoke.*" He said he didn't know that. So I said, "Yeah, it's James Arness". He said, "I still find it hard to believe that other guy is his brother" So I asked, "Who, Peter Graves?"

Him: Who's Peter Graves?

Me: You know, Phelps, the white haired guy from *Mission Impossible*.

Him: You mean HE's his brother too?

Me: What do you mean. "too"? Who were YOU talking about?

Him: That other guy on TV. You know, the guy who played Ricky Ricardo.

Me: You mean DESI ARNAZ???

It was then I reached over, pulled the joint from his mouth and informed him he had enough!

Sepiatone

:^0 Yeah! Funny story there, Sepia!

That reminds me a bit of when I was about 13 or 14 years old. One my classmate/friends and I had just walked into his house after a little game of driveway basketball there and while his Dad was watching *The Flying Tigers* .

My friend stopped for a moment to see what his Dad was watching on TV and said to his dad just as Duke had landed his Curtis P-40 on the airfield and was climbing out of it..."Gee I didn't know John Wayne could fly airplanes!"

And his Dad immediately replied, "Son, don't you know John Wayne can do anything and everything!"

:^0

>I was over a buddy's house. He had the TV on watching The Thing From Another Planet. So I casually mentioned, "You know that the guy who plays the "thing" is the guy from Gunsmoke. He said he didn't know that. So I said, "Yeah, it's James Arness". He said, "I still find it hard to believe that other guy is his brother" So I asked, "Who, Peter Graves?"

Well, it actually called THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, but I guess it's easy to confuse it with the later THE BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET with all that vile marijuana smoke in the air.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings