Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SOTM 1970s Style

TopBilled

I think TCM's programmers should push the boundaries a bit and select a SOTM who was at the height of popularity in the 1970s.

My choices for this:

Men: Burt Reynolds, Ryan O'Neal, Robert Redford or James Caan

Women: Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton, Candice Bergen or Liza Minnelli

I'm kind of a 70's fan So I would agree with the suggestion, (although I don't think Liza Minelli made enough films to be SOTM.)

I know At Long Last Love is supposed to be pretty bad, but I'm still curious to see it, (odd thread tangent # 37.)

Probably of the ones I mentioned Redford would be most likely due to his iconic status.

Others could include: Faye Dunaway, Barbra Streisand, Gene Hackman, Steve McQueen, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Fonda, Warren Beatty, Charles Bronson & John Travolta since their careers were all hot in the 1970s.

I could see a 70's and 80's SUTS stars. How about this list of stars for the month.

Jane Fonda

Burt Reynolds

Goldie Hawn

Al Pacino

Diane Keaton

James Caan

Marsha Mason

Alan Arkin

Sally Field

Woody Allen

Jessica Lange

Jack Nicholson

Mia Farrow

Robert Redford

Lily Tomlin

Harrison Ford

Julie Christie

Richard Dreyfuss

Jill Clayburgh

Gene Hackman

Bette Midler

Dustin Hoffman

Sissy Spacek

Jon Voight

Ann-Margret

Gene Wilder

Susan Sarandon

Steve Martin

Ellen Burstyn

Robert Deniro

Madeline Kahn

Yeah...HACKMAN!!! The best actor mentioned so far in this thread! Well, at least I've always thought so anyway.

What with that "Everyman" face o' his, that dude could play ANY role believably...all the way from somewhat nebbish types in films such as *The Conversation* , to the more hardboiled types in films such as his Oscar-winning "Popeye" Doyle role in *The French Connection* and many others afterward.

Yep, Gene Hackman would fit ANY bill here, folks!

(...well, that IS unless all the people around here who apparently ONLY think of movies made before some obligatory date such as 1970 are "the only true classics" get their friggin' way!!!) X-(

I'm not gonna let this thread die a slow death here, folks! Nope!

I want The-Powers-That-Be 'round here to take full notice of my suggestion in TopBilled's thread here that one of the best film actors in the last 50 years, GENE HACKMAN, deserves SOTM status very very soon...EVEN if his film career was primarily later than what some folks around here consider the "classic era of Hollywood".

(...and it appears from some of the responses I'm seein' in this thread, I'm not the only one who feels this way...right, people?!!!)

You have a good point. Gene Hackman had no control over his birth date and he is considered one of our best actors of the last half-century. That should not exclude him from consideration as long as the year that a film was nominated for an Oscar doesn't exclude it.

Nor should it exclude someone like Robert Duvall who does not seem to have been mentioned in this thread.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings