Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comcast

Bahama24

It is with great regret that I say goodbye to TCM. Comcast has stopped viewing of TCM by charging $18.00 a month to access the site. Comcast advertised more viewing options with their new service, not curtailment of present channel options. Can you, TCM assist us. Maybe we can start some sort of class action suite. It's not the money, it's the deciet and greed of Comcast.

> {quote:title=Bahama24 wrote:}{quote} Maybe we can start some sort of class action suite. It's not the money, it's the deciet and greed of Comcast.

I don't if there's anything you can do other than switch to another program provide like satellite. There doesn't seem to be anything illegal to what Comcast is doing. When they contract with networks like TCM, cable companies always reserve the right to move those networks to whatever channel they want to and there is absolutely nothing the networks can do about it. It's something that cable won't negotiate away. If you read the fine print in the agreement you signed when you first got cable it probably says they same thing.

The fact is, cable companies would love to get everybody out of their lower priced, non-digital, packages so they could eliminate them entirely. Slowly but surely, Comcast and others have been moving popular channels out of those packages so people will have no other choice than to upgrade or lose their favorites. This time it's TCM's turn.

One thought. Comcast was granted a franchise to operate in your community by your local government so you might want to complain to your local politicians. Don't know if it would help, but it certainly can't hurt. Good luck.

I have Comcast in southern New Jersey. They put TCM on the digital tier here a few years ago, but they also left it on the non-digital tier. I have no idea why they have the same network occupying two different channels (three if you count the HD channel), but they do. Check and make sure it's actually gone from your non-digital line-up before you cancel your subscription.

> {quote:title=RazorX wrote:}{quote} I have no idea why they have the same network occupying two different channels (three if you count the HD channel), but they do.

Same here in Delaware....I've noticed networks/stations that occupy two or more channels, seemingly the lower tiers in which we have our expanded basic, then in the higher digital range (channel numbers in the 100's), and then the HD version (which is something else entirely, being a High-def signal that's different from the two lower tiers).

What I don't understand is why the "digital channels" are considered a "higher tier"? When I set up my new digital TV, I instantly received all the HD channels free.

The minute I discontinued my cable subscription and set up an antenna, I received all the "local" channels (about 40) which are the only HD channels anyway. I can't think of ONE cable channel (at least the few that I watched) that was broadcast in HD.

Almost 10 days without cable and I'm not missing it at all. I'm sure catching up on DVDs.

What I don't understand is why the "digital channels" are considered a "higher tier"?

Because it can be, and because the crooks can charge more for it.

That's it, no other reason. Money. Greed. Money.

Almost 10 days without cable and I'm not missing it at all.

Good for you, TikiSoo, you're still my hero.

One thought. Comcast was granted a franchise to operate in your community by your local government so you might want to complain to your local politicians. Don't know if it would help, but it certainly can't hurt. Good luck.

In Westchester, the politicians are in bed with (iow, payola) FIOS and Cablevision. I am sure it's the same everywhere.

Instead of starting to comment yet again about the so-called "evils" of Comcast or any other cable companies, might I suggest you all go to the following thread on the Hot Topics Forum where a lively debate has been going on for quite some time.

The last thing we need is to clutter up the forum space by adding yet another thread about Comcast.

These comments here should be directed to the thread called:

"Comcast moves TCM to higher tier. It costs $89.00 per month extra"

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=163188&tstart=0

I switched from Comcast(which my daughter calls ComCrap)a few years ago to WOW (Wide Open West) for pretty much the same reason. Not that WOW doesn't do the same thing, but they do it at a much slower pace. And many of their moves were of stations I never watched anyway, so I didn't mind. They also "digitized" their entire basic line-up. But as they gladly provided adapters for free, there's no complaint there, either. And even though calling WOW on the phone isn't really as easy as their commercials would lead you to believe, they're STILL much easier to deal with than Comcast. It seemed they hired only those people who failed a politeness test.

Sepiatone

I know cable companies can be frustrating to deal with and there is a lot of junk on cable TV, but it's nothing compared to the junk that's on broadcast TV. I hardly watch broadcast TV at all except for the local news and the odd sporting event. Without cable I would have nothing to watch except for my own DVDs and movies that I stream through Amazon Prime.

There's a cable recruiting session going on tonight in the lobby of my apartment building in NYC. We used to get a "bulk" rate from RCN, but then Time Warner, and more recently Verizon FIOS, came in. So we were recently told that we were losing the RCN special rate. Tonight representatives from the three companies are trying to woo customers. I have RCN for phone, television, and Internet and was told my bill will actually go down. Neighbors who only have RCN for television will see an increase. I assume they will either sign up for RCN's phone and Internet service, or move to FIOS. It's quite a scene, but the message is, competition is good!

the message is, competition is good!

Beware, Swithin. While it 'appears' that competition is good, and it is if it were honest, the cable companies engage in price fixing. At the very least, negotiate a free DVR for life - if you don't mind paying for a land line for life.

You'll get a good deal at first, but soon you too will be paying close to $200. a month. Or, you can jump to another company for two years, and then jump back to the original company.

Why? Because cable companies are crooks.

True, RazorX, network television now appeals (thanks to the writer's strike) to the lowest common denominators in the audience, and cable is a necessary evil, but the cable companies are still crooks.

I thought my bill would go up, but it's going down! I want to keep exactly what I have and am glad I don't have to flirt with FIOS and Time Warner, which I had many years ago and didn't like. I'm happy with RCN and my bill will be less! (It's the people who didn't have a triple play who had to make decisions, I think some of them went to FIOS.)

Well, after the digital upgrade 2 days ago I lost TCM as well. I don't know how much it will cost to get it back but I miss it already. The weird thing is I have more channels than I did before but nothing I really want to watch. AMC was taken away from me last year but now it is back. I would gladly trade it for TCM!

I assume all of these competitors end up using the same physical cable lines that run into your building and into each house. Is that how it is in 'big' apartment buildings in NYC? i.e. tenants have the option of picking from multiple cable operators?

Here in Orange Country CA, in the burbs (track homes), we have only one cable company for a given 'service area'. Thus there is on competition. We have other options like Direct TV of course but only one cable company, that lease the cables that run under city property.

I remember when cable came to NYC, there wasn't much competition. I lived in Long Island City, Queens until about ten years ago. At first, we had no cable service in that neighborhood, even though Manhattan and other parts of Queens and NYC were wired. But we were too sparsly populated to bother about. Finally Time Warner came in, and we got cable. I remember a fabulous, comprehensive Bette Davis series on TCM shortly after I got cable!

I've lived in Manhattan since 2002 and signed up for RCN. Each cable company has its own cables. A couple of years ago, Verizon/FIOS paid our building (since we own our apartments, it was good for our general fund) a large sum for the privilege of wiring up and enticing new customers. It took them a few months to do whatever that had to under the streets; and in our building as well. But the FIOS cables are separate from RCN, and they are both separate from Time Warner.

A couple of years ago, Verizon/FIOS paid our building (since we own our apartments, it was good for our general fund) a large sum for the privilege of wiring up and enticing new customers

I bet they did. Imagine what they pay the crooked local politicians for the same privilege?

But the FIOS cables are separate from RCN, and they are both separate from Time Warner.

Consider yourself fortunate that you have two other choices from FIOS. It's interesting that Time Warner is in NYC, but not in the suburbs, where Cablevision was the first monopoly and now FIOS was, ahem, allowed in.

If you like the people in your building who are considering FIOS, warn them ahead of time that they're in for a rude awakening when their bills skyrocket.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings