Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Historical Short Subject - Late Tonight

hlywdkjk

Overnight tonight, TCM is showing the RKO short subject *La Cucaracha*. It is notable for being one of the first "live action" three-strip technicolor short subjects. Only Disney cartoons had been filmed in the "new" technicolor process prior.

Copy of LaCucaracha1934_3shtLRG

I know the short has been shown on TCM in the past - but I've always missed it. It was only happenstance that I saw it listed on the schedule for tonight. I hope it is as good as its poster.

*La Cucaracha* is being shown at 2:08am EST / 11:08pm PST between the rare *Pigskin Parade* and *San Antonio*

*"Is this the one with a young Judy Garland singing the title tune with her sisters?"* - mr6666

No. That one is called "La Fiesta de Santa Barbara" (or close to that.) That one was shown just a day or two ago. I caught the last few minutes.

Kyle In Hollywood

> Only Disney cartoons had been filmed in the "new" technicolor process prior.

Chief,

Walt saw the potential in Technicolor and because he was doing short subjects, the Silly Symphonies, it was more affordable for him than the studios who were more interested in features.

He cut a deal with Technicolor for exclusive rights (till the end of 1935) to the 3-strip process and won an Oscar for the first color cartoon (short subject), *Flowers and Trees* (1932). Thanks to that deal, he was the only cartoon producer who could produce his cartoons in 3-strip Technicolor.

This gave him an edge on his competition and paved the way for him to produce *Snow White* despite all the talk that a feature length animated cartoon in color would have audiences running from theaters because their eyes hurt.

This short, *La Cucaracha*, is beautiful.

Arrrrgh!

I got caught up in the news and forgot to flip over! But I did catch the last five minutes, or so!

I had read once that this was the first "film" completely shot in 3-strip technicolor. But another source cited two WB technicolor shorts as having been released before "La Cucaracha". So I don't know what to believe.

What I think may be truly unique is that "La Cucaracha" was filmed indoors. One of the "earlier" WB technicolor shorts, "Good Morning, Eve!", was filmed outdoors. Many of the very early 3-strip technicolor shorts take place outside. But seeing "La Cucaracha" filmed on a soundstage was a surprise. Anyway, what little I saw was really nice.

And for fun, here's a tip for a short to see tonight.

TeddyTheRoughRiderR1948

(1948 Reissue Poster)

The two-reel "Teddy, The Rough Rider" (1940) is showing between *The Big Sky* and *Cat Ballou*.

I have a dye-transfer print of LA CUCARACHA. It is the most extraordinary thing to see projected. You can feel the textures of the fabrics. Really amazing. UCLA used to sell prints back in the early 70's right before Technicolor stopped dye-transfer printing. These go for very big money now.

As for TEDDY THE ROUGH RIDER, Sidney Blackmer had a side-career playing Teddy. Many stage appearances. He also revived the role for Warners in MY GIRL TISA in 1948, the same year TEDDY THE ROUGH RIDER was reissued.

*"I have a dye-transfer print of LA CUCARACHA. It is the most extraordinary thing to see projected. You can feel the textures of the fabrics. Really amazing."* - RayFaiola

Wow. Lucky you. I can see how viewing that on a big screen would be really special.

*"Kyle - LA CUCARACHA can be seen on Youtube"* - Jezebel38

Thanks for the link! I hope to check it out.

Kyle In Hollywood

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings