Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Long time no sequel

TopBilled

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Psycho (1960) ....... Psycho II (1983)

Psycho (1960) ... Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)

Star Wars (Episode IV: A New Hope) (1977) ... Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) ... Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull (2008)

Fantasia (1940) ... Fantasia 2000 (1999)

The Maltese Falcon (1941) ... The Black Bird (1975 - with two original cast members)

Star Trek (the original tv series - 1966) ...Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)

...and by a bit of a stretch:

The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) ... The Bride (1985) (The Bride is a sort of combo remake/sequel, actually continuing the story instead of ending it)

Why? The 4th Indy film takes place in the late 1950's...Raiders takes place in 1936. Two different time periods. Also a connection between the final scene of Raiders taking place in the same location that the opening scene of Crystal Skull takes place in. That basically makes it a direct sequel to the first film. We even get to see a glimpse of The Ark in the opening scene, right where it was stored at the end of Raiders.

The *PSYCHO/PSYCHO IV* example I quoted is also appropriate, since IV is almost entirely a PREQUEL to the original movie, taking place before the events of *PSYCHO*, regardless of the fact there were two other films with Tony Perkins in between. HALLOWEEN (1978) and HALLOWEEN H2O (1998) are also perfectly valid, continuing the story of Jamie Lee Curtis' character...even though HALLOWEEN II (1981) was released 3 years after the original.

The discussion is perfectly valid and not "bogus" in the least.

Not bogus at all...You're simply being very limited in your guidelines for what YOU think it should be. The original post here NEVER mentioned it should be the FIRST (and only that one) sequel. This is what TopBilled said:

"Biggest gaps between an original film and its sequel...? "

item81328_jpg.jpg

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}You're the troll here. All I did was make a suggestion. You're the one who's turning it into an argument - pretending my question would be unacceptable for some reason.

My first reply after your "bogus" reasoning were examples I gave and in which I defended why it was not "bogus". You were the one who continued this ridiculous reasoning and continued attempting to say that it was "bogus".

My understanding of the intent of this thread was to point out that sometimes there is a long period of time between an original movie and the next initial sequel (not any sequel).

The longer the amount of time from the original release until this initial sequel impacts the marketing of this initial sequel as well as the casting of the movie (e.g. are some of those original actors still around,,, a new generation of movie goers will not have seen the original etc....). To me these concepts don't apply as well to subsequent sequels made after the initial sequel. (in fact the number of years between these subsequent sequels would have more of an impact then the number of years from the original to a subsequent sequel).

Thus I reviewed those examples, and based on my understanding of the intent here, I have to say I think they are bogus (miss the mark). But hey, maybe my view of the intent of this thread is bogus!

THE ODD COUPLE II was the inspiration for this thread. I found it interesting that Lemmon and Matthau AND Simon all reteamed so many years later to provide an update on the beloved characters.

Incidentally, Lemmon and Matthau had recently completed the sequel for GRUMPY OLD MEN, called GRUMPIER OLD MEN. So maybe they were in a sequel mood.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings