Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

great Classical Music

denislaug

denislaug wrote:Your Playing Classical music is just great, "Strauss Festival" is just great and all others like it ... Thanks for the great interludes between Movies.. I [l]ove it . Sincerely, Capt. Dennis Slaughter

I heartily agree with you, Captain. Unfortunately, the reality of USA culture is that very, very few people (percentage-wise) have any serious interest in so-called "classical" *music*. Even among TCM fans, who are much more culture-oriented than the American masses, this interest is apparently minor, as you will see when you check for the number of replies to what is admittedly an off-topic post, if one deems on-topic to be only the discussion of so-called "classical" *movies*.

To each his/her own idea of what constitutes "classical".

Musikone

(all kinds of music and their inter-relationship)

Many composers of orchestral music that today is performed by major "classical music" orchestras once wrote scores for what we here in these forums like to call "classic" movies. Aaron Copeland's score for "Of Mice and Men" is worthy of being included in the catalouge of his more "serious" works. I have a CD of the London Symphony Orchestra doing Bernstein's score for "On The Waterfront". And a CD of Wolfgang Korngold scores.

To harken back to the Looney Toons thread, I had no objections to my kids watching "The Smurfs" cartoons back in the early '80's, in spite of the cheezy animation due to the fact that while the usage was greatly abrieviated, they did use many swatches of classical music as background. Other old movies used familiar "warhorse" classical pieces as background music over the years, and even today, you might find bits and pieces in newer movies. Sadly, the "newest" movie I can think of off hand is "Platoon", now more than 20 years old, where Viet Nam soldiers battled while an orchestra sawed laborously on Barber's "Addagio for Strings".

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings