Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whitney Houston 1963-2012

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}I'm still wrapping my mind around a 4-hour funeral. No wonder Cissy cracked at the end; who wouldn't have? I'm glad it's all over so the family can hopefully have some private time and that there was no place at the church for a certain singer and his brood who had the nerve to show up. Sometimes justice is served. Cane we just leave it alone now?{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I had never heard of her before her death. It is probable that I have heard her songs and did not know who was the singer.

>

> I find it odd that the world seems to divide between people who desperately need to know every detail of her life and death and people who believe she deserves a respectful obituary notice and the world should then move on to other matters.

>

> I will not post the image itself:

> http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/southernyankeejeff/scumbag-whitney.jpg

You're kidding? As long as Whitney was in the business, you NEVER heard of her before her death?

In which case, what gives you the right to post that link to that offensive image of her, especially in light of anyone who KNEW who she was and enjoyed her work?

IMHO you shouldn't have said anything beyond the first sentence you posted.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> Just trying to be possibly the lone voice of reason among all these misguided folks who are giving this whole thing way too much attention and coverage!

"Voice of reason"? "Misguided folks"? Just because you don't care doesn't mean OTHERS do not also. It's apples and oranges....you might not give a hoot but others DO. Who's to say what is too much coverage and what isn't?

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I had never heard of her before her death. It is probable that I have heard her songs and did not know who was the singer.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I find it odd that the world seems to divide between people who desperately need to know every detail of her life and death and people who believe she deserves a respectful obituary notice and the world should then move on to other matters.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I will not post the image itself:

> http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e199/southernyankeejeff/scumbag-whitney.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}Can you imagine what it would be like if they gave an equal amount of attention to each of the other 4,000 people who died that day in the U.S.?

All of those 4,000 other people weren't as liked or admired as the *4,000,000* or more who liked Whitney and her work. Therein lies the big difference.

Well to the poster who said it was too much coverage, you clearly have cable as you're a fan of TCM, so change the channel. Pretty simple.

The funeral was carried on a few of the news channels and maybe on some local stations. The great thing about having several hundred channels is there are choices.

Whining about coverage on 4 or 5 channels when you have hundreds to choose from is silly.

I watched the Grammys for the first time in a few years mainly because of Whitney's passing, it's really sad what passes for talent today.

Yes she had her problems, so did Judy Garland, but talent like that is rare, and pretty much nonexistant in the today's music.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=darkblue wrote:

> > }{quote}Can you imagine what it would be like if they gave an equal amount of attention to each of the other 4,000 people who died that day in the U.S.?

> All of those 4,000 other people weren't as liked or admired as the *4,000,000* or more who liked Whitney and her work. Therein lies the big difference.

Glad to say I'm NOT one of that alleged 4,000,000!

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > I had never heard of her before her death. It is probable that I have heard her songs and did not know who was the singer.

> You're kidding? As long as Whitney was in the business, you NEVER heard of her before her death?

American pop singers were of little interest to my friends or myself. They are more popular among the disco goers.

I made that statement to show my disconnect with her popularity in death. It should also serve to show that she was not the all-important person many obviously believe she was.

> In which case, what gives you the right to post that link to that offensive image of her, especially in light of anyone who KNEW who she was and enjoyed her work?

That image was created before her death. It is obvious that not all the people who knew who she was believed in her importance or the value of her work.

I did not post the image itself so as to not offend those who liked her. There is a word in the link which alerts as to the general nature and tone of the image. Those who know they would be offended by any reference to her as a scumbag should have self-censored and not risked exposure to a less-than-idyllic portrayal.

When someone famous dies the amount of media coverage is based on many things, but the key ones are: how famous or important that person was, how they lived their life and how they died.

Using a scale from 1 - 10, for these 3 items I would rate Houston a 6, 9, and 9.

Ok the first one, how famous or important is very subjective. So I can see fans of Houston saying she should be a 9 or 10 here (some in the media have called her the greatest female singer of the 20th century), but I say 6 because the number of people that like her musical genre was limited.

The other two items are less subjective. I gave her a 9 on the 'how they lived their life' category because of her prolonged history of drug use and her relationship with Bobby Brown (I mostly know about this because of jokes I have heard Kathy Griffith make in her live act, but this is an example of how NON musical items keep Houston in the pop culture).

She also gets a 9 for how she died since there is mystery in how she died and the timing of the death.

Based on these rankings I can see why the media would spend so much time on her. What I find silly is how some fans appear to NOT understand how the 2 and 3 categories apply to the amount of media coverage. For example, if Sir Paul Mccartney was to die a natural death, I would hope we could agree that he would be a 10 on the famous scale, but a 1 and 1 (or very low score) on the other two. He might get less coverage than Houston by the media. To me this is understandable if one accepts what I'm saying about media coverage.

{font:Arial}Here’s a tidbit for consideration: Whitney only appeared in 3 major films and died after completing her fourth one. Exactly as James Dean that in the following years, after his death was designated an icon to his generation of fans. Certainly, Whitney fits the bill for her generation of devotees and her record sales prove this point. Despite not having a big film career, she will in time, come to symbolize the elements of talent and tragedy that go both hand in hand to creating a legend. We can expect in the coming years, if not months, plans for a film about her life and everything else therein that comes with being famous. I believe the real fuss about Whitney has this underlying feeling that her potential was never really met as a motion picture star and her glory as a major singing star was in some ways short lived. {font}

Edited by: MovieProfessor on Feb 22, 2012 4:20 PM

Until the next BIG MEDIA STORY (i.e.scandal) there wont be any let up. I hit the remote after the network news ends (before the tv rag shows start). At least the network news have gone on to other things. Dunno how they did it, but The Enquirer had a picture of her laying on the bathroom floor on their front page. Apparently they paid off someone at the crime scene. (No I didnt read it, but I saw it while waiting in the supermarket......) REAL CLASS.

Of course the lost of someone with so much potential is part of her story, but part of her story is also how she messed it up. I'm sure there will be a film about her life but my guess is that her devoted fans will not like this film since it will focus as much on the negative as the positive.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Dunno how they did it, but The Enquirer had a picture of her laying on the bathroom floor on their front page. Apparently they paid off someone at the crime scene. (No I didnt read it, but I saw it while waiting in the supermarket......) REAL CLASS.

...and you obviously didn't pay attention to it or look closely, because I just found that cover online and right there in the corner of the image it says "PHOTO RE-CREATION" (exactly like that, with the uppercase letters). It's also in the tub with bath bubbles...not on the floor.

It's still tacky, IMHO. :P