Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Citizen Kane event: Anyone heard about this?

misswonderly3

I'm surprised that no one has - as far as I can tell - mentioned this upcoming event:

On March 9 ( sold out) and possibly March 11, at the William Randolph Hearst estate in San Simeon, California, a screening of *Citizen Kane* will take place, as part of the 2012 San Luis Obispo International Film Festival. Hearst's great-grandson, and president of the Hearst Corporation, Steven Hearst, will be present in a meaningful gesture which, on the part of the Hearst family, finally acknowledges the greatness of the film.

Steve Hearst is quoted as saying:

" *Citizen Kane* is not a documentary, Orson Welles intended it as a sketch of Hearst's life, drawn with considerable artistic licence. Seventy years after its premiere, it is time to re-evaluate Citizen Kane...We can enjoy it just as fully as a work of artistic fiction, not fact."

Here's a link to the full article I read in The National Post:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01/23/citizen-kane-feud-finally-gets-rosy-ending/

I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere else on these boards. My question is has anyone born after 1980 heard about CITIZEN KANE? They've certainly all heard about THE WIZARD OF OZ.

I think a lot of people would prefer going to the Emerald City as opposed to San Simeon.

What's next? A special film junket to Korea in observance of the anniversary of THE BRIDGES OF TOKO-RI...?

A nice long thread about what ?? TopBilled cited several possible topics in their post.

The reason the *Kane* screening is worth taking note of is because of the 70 year estrangement, for lack of a better word, on the part of the Hearst family. William Randolph Hearst was profoundly offended at even the idea of *Citizen Kane*, he not only refused to see it himself, he banned advertising for it and reviews of it in all his newspapers. So the Hearsts are now finally letting go of over 70 years of non - *Kane* acceptance . ( There's more detail about this in the linked article.)

This is obviously a different situation from just re-screening *The Wizard of Oz*.

Maybe it's not that big a deal, I just thought the "nerds" on this site would be interested.

I think it's irrelevant that the Hearst family is interested in a screening of CITIZEN KANE.

The important point is that Hearst himself never watched the film. Several of his closest friends have attested to this. I would bet that if he was 200 years old and still alive, he still would not watch it.

This is just some publicity event cooked up by someone with nothing better to do.

This thread is leading into a greater issue which I have been wanting to address for a long time. I think events schedulers are looking at classic film fans who have disposable incomes and trying to find ways to re-sell classic film across a platform of lifestyle areas. DVDs, books, a cruise, and now a trip to a site where not one millimeter of celluloid was filmed for the making of CITIZEN KANE.

They should really be making a pilgrimmage to RKO's old stomping grounds and building a shrine to commemorate Orson's Great Achievement of The Ages.

Sorry folks, but San Simeon is not owned by the Hearst family.

When I visited there in 1965, a tour guide told me the family donated it to the State of California years ago.

So it is the California State Park system that is showing the movie:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

?Citizen Kane? coming to Hearst Castle

Hearst Castle will relive its Hollywood heydays of the 1920s and ?30s for one star-studded night during the ?Hollywood to Hearst Castle? event on Friday, March 9th. Honored guests, actor Harrison Ford and renowned Hollywood photographer Timothy White, will join the general public at the Hearst Castle Theatre at the Visitor Center, which will feature an exhibit of Timothy White?s work starting at 7 p.m. Tickets for the Spotlight Award tribute and Citizen Kane screening (7-10 p.m.) are $50 each, and include wine tasting and light appetizers. They will be available starting January 23 at slofilmfest.org or by phoning (805) 546-3456.

Combined Brochure of Hearst San Simeon State Park and Hearst Castle

Download Brochure

Hearst San Simeon State Park Maps

Download Hearst San Simeon Map

Download Hearst San Simeon Map East

Download Hearst San Simeon Map West

-------------------------------

Big-Screen Theater at the San Simeon California State Park:

http://www.hearstcastle.org/theater

The CA State Parks system is really in need of funds due to major budget cuts. About 40% of the parks are to be closed (unless cities take over the maintainance), and my guess is that this is an effort to raise money. Too bad it is sold out. Like I said I always love the drive up the CA coast.

LOL! You'll love this!

The TRUE story of William Randolph Hearst and the building of San Simeon, in the great new motion picture: HEARST CASTLE - BUILDING THE DREAM.

Brought to you by The State of California, and the San Simeon California State Park.

http://www.hearstcastle.org/theater/hearst-castle-building-the-dream

And NO Rosebud! :D

>I'm surprised that no one has - as far as I can tell - mentioned this upcoming event:

On March 9 ( sold out) and possibly March 11, at the William Randolph Hearst estate in San Simeon, California, a screening of *Citizen Kane* will take place, as part of the 2012 San Luis Obispo International Film Festival. Hearst's great-grandson, and president of the Hearst Corporation, Steven Hearst, will be present in a meaningful gesture which, on the part of the Hearst family, finally acknowledges the greatness of the film.

Well, then you haven't been looking terribly hard. I started a thread on it on January 23rd:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8609732

Sorry, SprocketMan...You did indeed beat me to the punch on this subject. Sometimes I go for a day or so without checking this site. I suspect maybe I'd taken one of those little breaks, and when I returned, the thread you started in Hot Topics had floated down to page 2. Or maybe I just didn't notice it.

In any case, I apologize for starting a duplicate thread on the topic. I think the moderator here should lock this thread, and direct those interested to your thread. I don't like "duplicate thread" syndrome, even when I'm the one guilty of starting the second thread myself.

Why, Fred, what a sweetie you are. Although I seriously doubt that "everyone likes me", who can resist such a pleasant compliment? Not me ! Thank you, you lovable curmudgeon. :x

( In the interests of fairness, I should point out that it's actually more appropriate to put this thread in "Hot Topics", because I associate "Hot Topics" with subject matter that depends on timeliness, like this Kane festival event. I mean, after March 11, I suppose the whole Hearst/Welles discussion won't matter so much . So SprocketMan had the right idea.)

I don't think it hurts to have two or three different threads about the same topic. That allows groups of friends to have their own special threads. Seems to me that if there is only one thread per topic, it would always be filled with arguments. But with two or three threads on the same topic, the pros and the cons and the I-don't-knows can select their favorite thread and have a nice time. :)

And it was because of you and your information that caused me to do some up-dated research on the Hearst Castle State Park, and on that website is where I found their "official" movie about grandpa Hearst and the building of San Simeon. Stuff like that is interesting for a film buff to know.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I don't think it hurts to have two or three different threads about the same topic. That allows groups of friends to have their own special threads. Seems to me that if there is only one thread per topic, it would always be filled with arguments. But with two or three threads on the same topic, the pros and the cons and the I-don't-knows can select their favorite thread and have a nice time. :)

Nonsense...I disagree, because having multiple threads on the same subject simply makes it CONFUSING. It's pointless clutter, when having ONE thread...such as this one we're in...simplifies things.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings