Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

J. Harold Murray

JHMGranddaughter

The late J. Harold Murray was my grandfather, and he died in 1940 before I was born, so sadly I never met him but I continue to know him through various video and audio clips that I've been able to record. While it's not likely that any of his five William Fox Studio movies (1929-1930), Cameo Kirby, Married in Hollywood, Women Everywhere, Under Suspicion, and Happy Days, will ever appear on TCM. He was in several film shorts during the 1930s. Those I have NOT seen include: The Singing Bandit, Schubert's Serenade, Nite in a Nite Club, Phony Boy, Somewhere in Paris. I do have copies of The Flame Song, Who is That Girl, Wild and Wooly, Under a Gypsy Moon. I'd love to get any copies of those five shorts I haven't seen...and, or be notified when any of them might appear on TCM. Thanks to all who share interest in film shorts. Linda

{font:Arial}{color:black}Hey… you got 60 views already. You never know if somebody is searching their basement right now…

{font}

{font:Arial}{color:black}Those “{font}{font:Arial}Mentone Brevities” titles (1934-38) that Universal produced in {font}{font:Arial}New York{font}{font:Arial} are so hard to get ones’ hands on. They probably are sitting in vaults not getting any attention.

{font}

{font:Arial}SCHUBERT’S SERENADE is a Technicolor "Musical Romance" made by {font}{font:Arial}Paramount{font}{font:Arial} in 1937 that UCLA has a copy of. Might be a bit tricky getting to it, but it is there!{font}

{font:Arial}[http://cinema.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=3&ti=1,3&Search%5FArg=Schubert&SL=None&Search%5FCode=FTIT&CNT=50&PID=wzRY8ll5zqUsffEwLbXdFVmxvSUC&SEQ=20120215120419&SID=5|http://cinema.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=3&ti=1,3&Search%5FArg=Schubert&SL=None&Search%5FCode=FTIT&CNT=50&PID=wzRY8ll5zqUsffEwLbXdFVmxvSUC&SEQ=20120215120419&SID=5]{font}

If that link doesn't pop up, search for the title here: http://cinema.library.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First

{font:Arial}{color:black}

Sadly, the bulk of TCM shorts are Warner and MGM, with some RKO. That covers the titles you have seen, but it would be ssssoooo great if the other studios were willing to dust off a handful of their stockpiles and test-drive them on TCM like they do the features. We don’t need a lot of digital restoration… just transfer them to our TV screens.{font}

You are so correct about all the dust gatheing in the vaults. I wish that I could gain access at any of the studios with shorts of my granddad. I'd spend some long hours going through the reels.

Thx for the tip about Schubert Serenade at UCLA. Been there once & saw the silver nitrate clips-reel of "Married in Hollywood." Wow! Next time there, I'll take a look for the Paramount short. Wonder who at Paramount (current copyright owner) might give me permission to make a copy.

Hope this post does generate any note from a collector who may have a relevant copy.

Again, many thanks for your note.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings