Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Thing" (2011)

joefilmone

This prequel to Carpenter's movie is a lot closer to a remake of Howard Hawks production. There is some nice photography and mood but it never reaches the terror and suspense of the two previous adapatations. The CGI creatures are fine but they lack the real ick factor of Rob Botin's work.

• 1 month later...

Joe, you are soooo right on the money about this prequel.

My favorite delight is to curl up on a preferably rainy/cold/snowy day and watch the l950 version of The Thing along with the great remake by John Carpenter. They are both classics in their own right.

However, this boring, dissapointing "prequel" simply had no magic--the type that keeps you coming back to watch it again and again. They ruined it by adding way too many people in the cast. Adding the girl was another mistake, as if the accountants were saying "we need to throw in a female to draw in the chicks." There was zero tension, suspense and when I finally saw the shift-changing creature, I merely thought: hmmmmm, computerized, of course.

The ending really destroyed any likability for this flop. What made the two previous versions work so well was that we had no backstory about the monster. it was just suddenly there and we used our imaginations to imagine where it came from.

I am so incredibly **** off at how Hollywood keeps shoving all these horrible remakes, prequels, sequels into our multiplexes without attempting to duplicate the genuine thrill of first watching "Alien," "Halloween," "Texas Chainsaw Massacre." IT seems like originality in horror/fantasy/suspense movies has totally vanished.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings