Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's "cool" anymore?

Sepiatone

When Steve McQueen sied, everybody made a big deal about how "cool" he was. My wife even said she didn't think he was extremely phisically attractive, but his countenance of "coolness" is what DID make him attractive.

It was the same wih Dennis Hopper. Not really a great looking guy, but he had the "cool" or "hip" thing going for him. Even at the time of his death at age 75 or so, Hopper could be in a room filled with guys 1/3 his age and STILL be the "hippest" guy in that room.

So, who today has that air of "coolness" about them? Not really hunky or handsome but with that edge that has gals AND guys think, "This guy is COOL!"? Just maybe by the way they carry themselves?

Both my wife and I put a nomination in for ADRIEN BRODY. Hell, even the NAME sounds cool! See him in a recent commercial advertising some facial hair trimmer, and you'll see what we mean.

Not particularly "hunky" OR handsome, but he exudes the attitude.

Sepiatone

But, in case nobody wants to do that, here's what I said at the time about "cool" :

"... there's a lot to consider when looking at a "cool" character.

For one thing, what do we mean by "cool" anyway?

"Cool" means different things to different people, kind of like the word "classic" - or for that matter, the term "film noir" . I have a feeling the word used in the way we're talking about it, ( as opposed to temperature) originated in the 40s or 50s. I could be wrong about that, I haven't looked it up. But I do associate the word "cool" with movies and music - specifically rock and roll and, of course, jazz.

Anyway, here's my idea ( I hesitate to say "definition") of "cool" :

1 - A cool person tends to stay calm most of the time, even if they're angry or upset they don't show it - ie, they "keep their cool".

2- Someone who is truly cool goes their own way; they do not care what others are doing, what is popular or in style. They have their own style; they create style, they don't follow it (and by "style" I don't necessarily mean fashion or clothing, but anything cultural.)

3- In other words, a cool person is independent.

4- A cool person does not care about authority. This does not always mean that they rebel against authority, they're too cool for that. It's more that they ignore it. They may break rules, but usually only if they're stupid rules.

5 - Cool people are capable of violence, but rarely use it. If pushed, they can defend themselves effectively, but often this is a last resort. They do not seek out violence or violent situations.

6- Cool people don't seem as though they care about others, but this is often just because they're too cool to show much emotion. In fact, a true "cool" person will act in defence of others, even if it means resorting to violence ( see #5). Cool people will not stand by and let more vulnerable people be abused, humiliated, or hurt. They have compassion, they just don't advertise it.

7- A cool person usually does not talk a lot. They observe.

8- Cool people are smart. They are good at sussing out any situation, and also good at assessing others' characters.

9-Cool people are confident, but not showy about it.

10-Cool people are sexy. Without trying to be.

What do you think, folks? Agree, disagree, other definitions? If we look at most of the actors and the characters they played mentioned in these posts, I think most of them fit that definition."

Ah, but I'm NOT referring to a "cool" character in a movie. I'm talking about appearing cool even OFF CAMERA. For instance, someone in those earlier posts mentioned Brando in "The Wild One". In a biography of James Dean, there's mention of Dean's eagerness to attend a party that Brando was supposed to show up to. Dean had created his own personal style after Brando's "Wild One" character, right down to the hat! Dean was snapped into reality and surprised when Brando did indeed show up in suit and tie! And didn't appear to be any "cooler" than your average vacuum cleaner salesman.

Brody got mention due to the fact that even when NOT playing somebody who's "cool" in a movie, he exudes an air of "coolness" in his personal countenance. I've known guys since grade school who had this and they weren't playing a part. It came naturally. They continued through high school with it, and the ones I still run into occasionally today STILL have it!

Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Sepiatone

I know someone who was approached by a fellow patron of a pub in which they both hung out. They knew each other fairly well, having chatted a number of times. Finally he was asked by the other one "Just how is it that you're so cool?"

He replied "Don't say that. The moment that I start thinking that I might be cool, I'm not."

Who "today" you ask, Sepia...well, the only one I can think of who might fill the bill nowadays might be Russell Crowe, and another guy who I don't think of as "handsome" per se, but seems to have that whole "cool thing" goin' on, not only on-screen but from the watchin' the guy on talk shows, seems to be "cool" while out of character, also.

(...and before you mention some of HIS publicized off-screen antics, remember the "King of Cool" himself wasn't exactly known to be a "choirboy" in real life either!)

> {quote:title=Eugenia_H wrote:}{quote}*I'm talking about appearing cool even OFF CAMERA.*

>

> Sepiatone - Of the modern actors, I think George Clooney looks cool off-camera..

>

Yep Eugenia, now FOR a "choirboy", I gotta say Clooney might fill the bill here too.

(...though word is the guy is known as bein' "kinda" handsome, ya know...and so if some of Sepia's criteria here is that whoever is suggested isn't supposed to be all that good-lookin' to begin with, then maybe George might NOT fill the bill here....just sayin')

Now what the heck do ya mean, "Clooney's not a 'chiorboy"???

While, yeah, I suppose all his "searchin' for the right lady to spend his golden years with" lifestyle probably doesn't fit the mode of whatever maybe Sister Mary Ellen in his Catholic school upbringing might've hoped for him by this time in his life, I WOULD have to say that all the time he spends helpin' out some of the poor and disenfranchised in this weary ol' world just might qualify the guy as a "Choirboy", alright!

Clint Eastwood & Robert Redford would get my vote!! Or are they too old to be called 'cool'? OK, maybe Jude Law. Can't think of one youngish actor who would qualify. *Cool* went out with Paul Newman, Steve McQueen (who defined the word 'cool') & Humphrey Bogart.

Black actors don't count. No bigotry here, it's just that they're already predisposed.

Ewan doesn't strike me as being "cool". Very good actor, and nice guy all around, though.

Clint might be OK, although, as I mentionrd, When Clint was 75, he STILL wasn't as "cool" as Hopper was at that age!

Russel Crowe MIGHT come close, ummm...yeah, he does!

Clooney strikes me more as exuding self confidence and secure with himself. Sort of, "Let everyone ELSE take me seriously, I'm just doing what I do" type of thing. And THAT can be cool!

And although I mentioned that Dean thought Brando didn't SEEM all that "cool" when he saw him at that party, Brando, by virtue of his voice and mannerism, could have been considered "cool", although his coolnes faded over the years into eccentricity.

Sepiatone

Yeah, so you've noticed that about Harrison TOO, have ya Sepia?!! ;)

Yep, he's one of those actors, along with, well maybe ESPECIALLY Robert De Niro, who are about as entertaining on talk shows as watchin' a Sherwin-Williams product go from a liquid to a solid substance on a broad stretch of drywall!!!

(...now, maybe the following isn't all that "cool", but for MY money, Tom Hanks is just about the PERFECT guest on those shows)

Btw Sepia, speakin' of De Niro and his almost painfully shy demeanor on those talk shows...

When I used to live in SoCal, I would occasionally run into Jay Leno at a little motorcycle gathering place located in the Santa Monica Mountains known as "The Rock Store". Usually we'd just talk about motorcycles and cars, but one day right after De Niro had been on his show a few nights before, I just HAD to mentioned to him how "enthralled" I had been while watchin' him TRY to interview the guy.

Jay just smiled, rolled his eyes, and said somethin' like, "Yeah, Bob's not the most outgoin' guy. I always feel like a dentist tryin' to pull teeth with him. One word answers are all you're ever gonna get, alright!"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings