Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's "cool" anymore?

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}If I were a PETA member, I'd accuse you of condoning the poisoning of sharks... :)

Well, anyone who knows anything about Louisiana and Lafayette, I still will communicate and, from time-to-time, agree with 'em.

B-)

WHOA Otis! Ixnay on the Inbay Aadenlay talk here, Dude! :0

What are ya tryin' to do...get willbefree all fired up again so we can hear "Round -2" of his thoughts about Geopolitics???!!! :^0

Where are ya Otis? Come forward and defend your man Ben Ladeen.

God, every time I think of the bullet or bullets that ripped through his worthless body in Pakistan and then ship his arse to the ocean and drop him to the sharks makes me feel so good.

I'm a Southerner who had friends who were killed while working in those twin towers. I was in both of them at one time.

They were Yankees but I loved 'em and they are gone because of that worthless...

Jake in the Heartland

Hey Otis...dude! If I were you, I think I'd take a slight "retreat" from usin' that bin Laden moron as any kind of example of "cool". Ya see, not only do I think you're usin' him in this regard isn't a good example at all to make your point, but NOW you're bein' "fired upon" from BOTH "The Left" flank(willbefree) AND "The Right" flank (Jake)!!!!!

:^0 :^0 :^0

Hmm, methinks maybe this completely innocuous thread has become somewhat derailed. I think I know what Otis was getting at, he's just saying that there can be many different interpretations of this term "cool".

The "list" I posted here earlier on was just my general impressions of what personality attributes are ascribed to a "cool" individual. I didn't mean that all of those qualities apply to all cool people. And who's to say that my "definition" accorded with others' ideas about "cool" ? Certainly not me.

So, Sepiatone, sorry if I contributed to taking things off track a little here. I will say this: there is no such thing as a real person who can be a living embodiment of all those "cool" factors. When I think of that term, especially when thinking of movies - both past and present - I think of a "persona", which film actors communicated a "coolness" about them in their movie roles, and in their "image". Of course, whether we're talking about Robert Mitchum, Steve McQueen, Johnny Depp, or Barbara Stanwyck, nobody in real life is going to actually be "cool" all the time, or even most of the time.

To me, it's kind of an archetype. Movies sustain and build upon archetypes with their characters, that's one reason why they're so cultural powerful.

ps- Thought of another female "cool" person: Marlene Deitrich. and maybe Uma Thurman.

Good post, MissW. Hopefully it'll get us back on track here. B-)

(...though I DO have to admit I was gettin' quite a kick outta the folks who were gettin' their panties in a wad here!!!)

:^0

WELL!!! In THAT case willbe, you can just FORGET about me doin' my "oh so cool" rendition of "Springtime for Hitler" here!!!! X-(

(...UH HUH!!!...and SOME people even say it rivals Dick Shawn's version...SO THERE!!!!) :P

:^0 :^0 :^0

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Agree, disagree, other definitions? If we look at most of the actors and the characters they played mentioned in these posts, I think most of them fit that definition."

I agree completely.

Nope, willbe, NOT as long as YOU keep showin' YOUR total lack of a sense of humor here AND with YOUR apparent appetite to bring this thread back to this issue!

Which brings me to a question about "cool" here folks:

Would you say that it would be a "prerequisite" for "cool people" to possess AT LEAST a modicum amount of appreciation for the concept of "Absurdism", so as to NOT get their panties in a wad whenever they read something with which they might disagree?

(...well, I'VE always thought so anyway!!!)

I do think cool can be applied outside the realm of actors and

pop music stars to other people. Naturally, people will disagree

about who is cool, and that's perfectly fine. As for bin Laden,

remember the character of George Minafer in The Magnificent

Ambersons, who goes around bullying other folks and is a spoiled

brat? Everybody comments that one day he will meet his come-

uppance. Well bin Laden supplied that comeuppance for the

U.S. That is 9/11 in a nutshell. Of course, that's a minority view,

but that's the great thing about our republic, everyone is entitled

to express their own opinion, however unpopular.

Dargo, I always get a kick out of pig Latin, though I've never been

good at it. As soon as I see the word Ixnay I know I'm going to laugh.

I'm on another site that deals mostly with political issues and folks

on that site can get downright mean. Compared to that one, this is

a stroll in the park.

I've never thought that Bush and Cheney started the war in Iraq because

it was in their financial interest or they were involved in some dark, deep

conspiracy. I do believe it was a stupid move undertaken by people whose

own record of military service is not exactly overwhelming. At least we're

out of there now.

Okay, if someone held a copy of Vanity Fair to my head, I'd go with Johnny

Depp. He does look pretty cool in his beret and glasses outfit.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}Mr. Freeze, now he was cool, no matter who was playing him... ;)

LOL...the "coolest" of the three who appeared on the Batman tv series in the 60's would have to be Otto Preminger, and the little thing he frequently did of stroking his eyebrow with one finger and sayin "Vild!! Ha-ha!!" I also like Eli Wallach and George Sanders (the first to portray the character).

mrfreezeotto.jpg

freeze_eli.jpg

547484-pdvd_266.jpg

o11.gif?w=600

****...excrement...manure...

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Feb 19, 2012 10:50 PM

Edited by: JakeHolman on Feb 19, 2012 10:59 PM

Edited by: JakeHolman on Feb 19, 2012 11:13 PM

Yeah, I THINK I remember what this thread is supposed to actually be about here, libradoll. ?:| ;)

Okay now, Costner ya say, huh?! Weeeeell, maybe...but I've always thought the guy was rather more "boring" than "cool".

Yep, kinda goes back to what I was sayin' earlier about there sometimes bein' a very fine line between some of these guys bein' "cool" and bein' "boring", and sorry, but to my way of thinkin' Costner is a slight step over to that latter mentioned thing there.

Kevin Costner as he appeared in *Bull Durham*, for sure. Come to think of it, Susan Saranden too.

Anybody agree with my suggestion of Tommy Lee Jones?

And I thought of another British actor. I already mentioned Daniel Craig, who in spite of his ears, is very attractive and very cool. There's also Clive Owen.

Cool ladies - what about Uma Thurman? and Jennifer Jason Leigh?

OK, misswonderly, I'll agree with Tommy. But not the other guys.

Otis? Take away the beret, fedora, and tinted glasses, and Depp looks kinda TWERPISH to me. No disrespect for Depp, high on the list of the best out there today, just my perception.

An aside: Judging by his body of work, I think Johnny Depp should change his last name to DEFT!

Sepiatone

Yeah, not bad, MissW. I'll go along with all your suggestioned names here. B-)

(...I mean knowin' how much you value my opinions and all around here, of course...now THAT didn't sound too "puerile" there, DID IT???!!!) :^0