Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who's "cool" anymore?


Recommended Posts

 

The fedora doesn't do much, but I like the beret and glasses ensemble. Doesn't

Depp live in France part of the year? That gives him a bit of an excuse for the

beret. On occasion twerpy can be cool. Call it The Law of Urkel, so I still consider

Depp to be fairly cool.

 

I'm not that big on cool, because it's a pretty superficial and transitory thing. The

cool person for one period isn't so cool a few years later. Like being a top movie

star, it's hard to keep your cool.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}I've never said you were "puerile". Maybe you're thinking "virile" - no wait, I never said that either.

 

LOL!

 

Yeah, I know it wasn't you, MissW. I was just hopin' that our friend willbefree might see that! :^0

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see your take. So, SansFin, you think of a woman being cool as:

 

Inner confidence,

Rational mind,

Gentle warmth, but one on one,

Not a wild attention seeker in crowds.

Coolness and a just little mystery about her--but there are no skeletons in the closet.

Emotionally even-keeled.

 

Am I reading you right?

 

Audrey would be considered "cool"

 

Ingrid Bergman has had some great cool parts too.

 

But how could she keep getting any great starring roles without a little nuttiness or sudden passion?

 

Damn, us gals can't play tough or else we're perceived as maniacal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}I see your take. So, SansFin, you think of a woman being cool as:

> Inner confidence,

> Rational mind,

> Gentle warmth, but one on one,

> Not a wild attention seeker in crowds.

> Coolness and a just little mystery about her--but there are no skeletons in the closet.

> Emotionally even-keeled.

>

> Am I reading you right?

 

That is perfectly right!

 

> Damn, us gals can't play tough or else we're perceived as maniacal.

 

I have found it quite beneficial when some people are a little scared of what I might do. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

085392799329.jpg

 

I'm a little off topic here but, what the heck creativity reigns here, Cobb is Jones' best performance in my way of thinking.

 

Someone mentioned he's cool. In this, he is not. I like it not because he's a Southerner but because it's a great performance.

 

His best performance...

 

Jake in the Heartland

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as women go, there was a time Candice Bergen could have been considered "cool". And Gena Rowlands. Most of the actresses that might have fit the category are hitting or have hit middle age and beyond. Seems the females have gone back to being "starlets" instead of oozing "coolness" anymore...

 

Sepiatone

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What I was meaning, misswonderly, was that over the years those two have let what made them "cool" fade away. Around the time Bergen did *T.R. Baskin* she was considered one of the "hip" and "edgy" young actresses. Now, she's just an actress. For example, Lily Tomlin was a personality that had the "cool" thing going, and still does. Meaning her mind and heart are still intact with that which made her "cool".

 

 

How can you think I meant getting older made you NOT cool anymore after I claimed that at age 75, Dennis Hopper would still be the coolest guy in a room filled with guys 1/3 his age?

 

 

But this puts me to mind that what's "cool" really does change over the years. In a movie I thought was stupid, *Joe Dirt* , The title character goes around looking like a leftover from the '70's rock group STYX, with his mullet haircut and all. When a car inadvertantly sprays him with gravel, the driver stops, gets out of his car and asks Joe, "Are you OK?", Joe replies, "I'm cool". The driver replies, "No, Joe. You're NOT!" Maybe back in the '70's, a guy like joe WOULD have been considered "cool", but in the '90's, he wasn't.

 

 

But there ARE those guys, and gals, that one looks at and thinks, "Man, don't THEY look cool!" And don't fully realize why they think that. And in some cases it's not really how they LOOK. Some of the "coolest" people I know would give somebody the first impression that they're dorks. And it's only when you get to know them do you realize. AND vice-versa!

 

 

Sepiatone

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote} ...

>

> How can you think I meant getting older made you NOT cool anymore after I claimed that at age 75, Dennis Hopper would still be the coolest guy in a room filled with guys 1/3 his age?...

>

Well, I thought it was significant that both the actors you mentioned whom you thought used to be cool but were no longer, were women. So, I apologize for misunderstanding your point, perhaps I'm overly sensitive about this, but I thought you were saying that women, regardless of how cool they are when they're young, lose the cool factor as they age. Yes, of course I recall that you mentioned some actors you thought were cool, even when they were older. But they were men.

 

However, you explained what you meant very clearly; I was wrong to take jump to the conclusion I did.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...