Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hate this yrs.31 days of Oscar 2012

kd4qjs

I have been a faithful viewer of 31 Days of Oscar for many years and I look forward to each year. However,I absolutely hate this years 31 days of Oscar 2012. "Around The World" is not for me.

Believe me, I've tried and tried but there are too many entire days showing movies that I just don't care to see.

Please go back to the groupings of other years and, if you can, please place something either before or after the movie to tell us just what category a particular movie has been nominated or has won.

Yes, I know that I'm probably the only person who doesn't care for this 2012 Oscar month but I just wanted to give my opinion.

Thanks for letting me give it.

I've mulled this over almost every evening lately. I do think that some of the films need to be recognized in this venue, even if they are a bit overplayed. We do have to recognize achievements in cinema. However, I think this particular format that TCM uses, as well as the SUTS format, prevents us from seeing other important films that automatically get shoved off the schedule for two months of the year. That part of this scheduling is definitely wrong.

My suggestion is that SUTS run 12 hours a day, not 24. And that the 31 days of Oscar also run 12 or even 18 hours a day, not 24. This way they can still do it each day, but they can put little breaks in there for viewers that this kind of marketing alienates. They can make more people happy this way. Otherwise, it become a vanity thing, where TCM markets itself and says 'hey, we are pro-Oscar, and we are pro-Star.' No, folks, just be 'Pro-classic movie.' That is all anyone asks of this channel.

• 2 weeks later...

>Why not try the chronological order way for once huh? Start with 1927 and work your way through to whatever year TCM wants.

I think that's a great suggestion! They have done this for so many years, I would think they've considered it already.

But I have to laugh when I think how long it can take them to run with our suggestions. :D

I'm bored with the whole concept. I understand why TCM does it, but just because a film has won an Oscar does not mean I want to see it (especially if I've seen it endless times......)

My sentiments exactly. Hollywood invariably honors the blandest and / or most politically correct** films, and when you've got 31 days of them without respite it's way, way too much. Maybe have an Oscar Week or something, but not an entire month.

And without trotting out the names of the obvious culprits, it's the endless repetition of some of these titles that's the worst thing about it. I'd love to see TCM institute a strictly adhered to limit of no more than two screenings of *ANY* film in a 12 month period, and no more than three screenings in 24 months. Make room for more foreign and silent movies, or movies that haven't been beaten into the ground. Do we really need to see Some Like It Hot 3 or 4 times a year?

**Not meaning liberal or conservative, but whatever the prevailing values of the time were. Those Noble / Lovable Priests / Bishops movies of the 40's (Crosby, Tracy, Grant, etc.) were every bit as "politically correct" at the time they were made as any Jane Fonda movie.

I want to point out one aspect which would make playing "Oscar" nominated and awarded titles in chronological order problematic. I respect my colleagues and their different opinions on cinema on our Message Boards. The one subject which causes me to place both my hands over my face and shake my head in astonishment are the individuals who believe there are no movies of a significant nature produced and released past a certain year. There are individuals who have vehemently commented on our Message Boards that TCM should not broadcast movies released after 1950 or 1960 or 1980, 1990 because movies released after certain years have not reached the "Classic" movie definition.

I would love to see TCM broadcast all of the "Oscar" nominated and awarded pictures in chronological order. The comments from our colleagues on the Message Boards about TCM selling out and becoming like HBO because they are broadcasting "Unforgiven", "The Silence of the Lambs", "Chicago", "Gladiator", or "Lord of the Rings" would be interesting reading to say the least.

> {quote:title=kd4qjs wrote:}{quote}

> Please go back to the groupings of other years and, if you can, please place something either before or after the movie to tell us just what category a particular movie has been nominated or has won.

>

I think the reason they stopped telling us what category the movies were nominated & won in is because you'd be surpriesed how many of the "31 Days of Oscar" movies DIDN'T win an Oscar. Sure, they were all at least nominated but again, a lot of them (the majority?) were only nominated for one Oscar. And of those, the one Oscar a lot were nominated for were "Best Sound" or "Supporting Actress," not one of the major categories. They don't wanna let the cat out of the bag is probably why they don't tell us beforehand anymore.

*"Why not try the chronological order way for once huh? Start with 1927 and work your way through to whatever year TCM wants."* - Im4Movies2

Interesting concept but not too likely for an event lasting 31 days. Even if you start in 1930 and do one year a day, you're stopped in the 1960s.

A few years ago, TCM did approach the event in an adapted chronological order. It grouped films by seven decades (20s/30s together and 90s/00s together) with films from each decade group being shown once a week, say 1930s films every Tuesday. That worked rather well.

I do remember TCM programming a month's Spotlight Event which presented the "History Of Musical FIlms" in chronological order. I think the event was once a week and 24 hours a day. That was cool.

Kyle In Hollywood

>Why not try the chronological order way for once huh? Start with 1927 and work your way through to whatever year TCM wants.

No, that won't work, because people like me who prefer older films would have nothing to watch during the second half of the month, and people who prefer color wide-screen films would have nothing to watch during the first half of the month.

I think today is a very good example of what TCM should do: mix decades every day. Mix a couple of films from the '20s-30s, '40s-'50s, '60s-'80s each day. That will give us all a couple or more films to watch each day. Like this:

Captain Fury 1939, Sister Kenny 1946, The Sundowners 1960, In old Arizona 1929, Arizona 1940, Bless the Beasts and Children 1971, The Harvey Girls 1946, Ace in the Hole 1951, The Andromeda Strain 1971, Them 1954, Pieces of Dreams 1970.

A good mix of types of films and decades.

Also, mix the films that are to be shown in prime time and late at night. Put the less interesting films on in the middle of the night, the ones with no requests and not very many good reviews.

And put the ones with good reviews on in the daytime and prime time. Keep the repeats in prime time down to a minimum. Put more repeats on in the middle of the night.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings