Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

North by Northwest 411

casablancalover

>Why does James Mason waste his time with Rococo antiques in auction, when he has this awesome Frank Lloyd Wright estate near Rushmore?

Because it won't fit on the plane?

Anyway, you need the house so that Cary Grant will have a flagstone wall to climb up.

> I always thought those elegant objects d'art James Mason possessed ( including the most elegant of all, Eva Marie Saint) were to demonstrate that he was a man of sophistication and taste, surely a requirement for all Eastern Block spies in the 1950s.

And also provides him with a cover story when traveling around the world.

> I always thought those elegant objects d'art James Mason possessed ( including the most elegant of all, Eva Marie Saint) were to demonstrate that he was a man of sophistication and taste, surely a requirement for all Eastern Block spies in the 1950s.

I think you're missing the point that Vandamm is no "Eastern Bloc spy," but a dyed-in-the-wool mercenary with no political convictions, whose only interest is selling secrets to the highest bidder.

That's how he could afford the ersatz Frank Lloyd Wright House, and a woman like Eve Kendall.

No since that wouldn't be a good idea. While in movies it is common for the head guy to have gay bodyguards (as a way to ensure an evil femme fatale doesn't get their hooks on them), it make no sense to get too attached to the one in charge of your security. It isn't a good idea to have that close of a relationship with your own bodyguard.

So while Landau does appear interested in Mason and for sure hates Eva, I don't think Mason returned any favors.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Feb 14, 2012 2:12 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}That explains Landau's off hand remark. .(face palm)

>

> Glad to see you're still around! I was afraid you had an accident. Hadn't read your snarky charm for a spell...

>

Nope, no accident, Charlotte. And besides, maybe you haven't heard, but I'm indestructible! ;)

Hmmmm...and "snarky charm" ya say, huh?! Well, I'm gonna go out on limb here and say you meant somethin' like, say, George Sanders here, right?!

Well, if ya are, then I gotta admit you might be close.

(...though in George's case, unfortunately for him, he didn't possess my American, specifically Southern Californian accent...nope, the poor guy was saddled with that inferior British accent!)

:^0 ;)

Very cool, Sprocket!

Ya know, I was always pretty much so-so with regard to Landau, but that was UNTIL I watched his work in Woody Allen's *Crimes and Misdemeanors* some twenty years ago, and since then I think he's one of our best actors.

According to Landau at the 2010 Film Festival screening of *North by Northwest*, it was his idea to play Leonard as gay and Hitchcock liked the idea so much he encouraged Landau's performance and also had Lehman slightly rework Landau's dialog.

I love North by Northwest. I love the sexual tension between Roger Thornhill and Eve Kendall. And, as a man who truly loves women and courting them, I think Roger Thornhill's definite physical attraction shows but is reserved in respect to his lady he pursues and will allow her to tell him when.

Jake in the Heartland

C'mon now. Vandamm was way out of Leonard's league. So even

if Vandamm went that way, it is unlikely that Leonard would be on

his radar unless Phil had a taste for a little rough trade, and there's

no reason to think he did. And in any case, that really was a gun

in Leonard's pocket.

Besides being a collector of high end art objects and antiques, Phil

also liked to collect napkins, flatware, and other geegaws with the

various airlines' logos on them. Another reason for his frequent air

travel. One interest reenforced the other.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}According to Landau at the 2010 Film Festival screening of *North by Northwest*, it was his idea to play Leonard as gay and Hitchcock liked the idea so much he encouraged Landau's performance and also had Lehman slightly rework Landau's dialog.

Really? I didn't know that.

I always liked Landau's character....sort of the "gunsel" of the movie, as was Elisha Cook Jr's character in The Maltese Falcon. Both are gay henchmen/sidekicks. Both are often "sweet-talked" by their bosses. And both get ticked off when someone else "comes between them", as it were.

> As OtisCribleCoblis:

> that really was a gun in Leonard's pocket

>That may be true, but it was loaded with blanks.

Which is one of the holes in the film's story: why would Eve load more blank rounds in the pistol than she planned on firing at Roger in the cafeteria (after all, it's not as though one can miss when shooting blanks)? All it could possibly do (and did) is expose her to jeopardy.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings