Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Osborne's comments on Funny Girl

abbeleigh

I love Robert Osborne and have great respect for his wealth of knowledge about film history. I have an issue, however, with what he said in his introduction to "Funny Girl" about the inclusion of the song, "My Man" in the Broadway show. He said that song was not in the Broadway show because Ms. Streisand was afraid of comparisons between her rendition and that of Fanny Brice, herself. He went on to say that the song was included in the film version because, by that time, Ms. Streisand had gained enough confidence about her performance that she wasn't worried about comparisons.

I don't think that's entirely true. An original musical on Broadway only contains songs by the composer(s) of that show. "My Man" was not composed by Jules Styne & Bob Merrill and, thus, could not be included in the show. They wrote the song, "The Music That Makes Me Dance," as a sort of replacement for Fanny Brice's signature song. When the film was made, no such restrictions on the inclusion of material applied so "My Man" was included and "The Music That Makes Me Dance" was not because they didn't need two such similar "11 o'clock" numbers in the film.

Please pass this information on to Mr. Osborne. Thanks.

{font:Arial}There was also the underlying issue of keeping the Broadway musical on a level of originality. It was decided not to stray away from two new songs that were wonderful and had their place within the framework of the storyline. Besides “The Music that Makes Me Dance,” being cut from the film, so was “Who Are You Now?” Both these musical numbers pretty much were a stand-in for “My Man," during the stage show's run. By the time of the film version in 1969, the real Fanny Brice classic tune was appropriate to now have a strong effect at the finale of the musical, as well as to cut down on the running time that before the motion picture was edited, ran nearly four hours! There were other original scenes cut from the film that many film buffs have wondered about. As of now, none of this lost footage has been found or recovered. {font}

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings